What's new

Strategy - Displacer Displacer

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Okay, I've been fucking around with this variation since day one. I might just suck, but maybe someone else could try to sell me on it?

Don't mention EX teleport, I get it. Instant start up, 7 frames of start up. It's really, really good.

What else is? I feel like I'm missing something here. Regular teleport's recovery is like uselessly slow in so many situations. I've teleported on fireballs and still eaten a punish or a low poke before I can do anything and my opponents can close that gap REALLY quick from teleporting away.

We need to get a thread going for this. Thunder God is really cool and all but I fucking play Raiden to teleport.

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
I feel you and considering other variations have their own thread, I'm sure it is fine for this one to have one too.

I've been pretty vocal in debates about much of the same points you bring up. I don't think the proponents of Raiden being fine in all variations have given enough real combat time with displacer. I too love Raiden for teleport but this variation is severely lacking and every turn you take requires meter burning to be equally matched against your opposition.

Displacer Raiden's biggest selling point would be EX Fly, imo. Yes, another EX. The reason being that you can pop it on hit confirm. Doing 16% each time is pretty good and conditions your opponent to start worrying about it so they block more often. That allows you to break up their pressure game and let you start delivering some of your own strings.

I still play displacer because I love teleporting but I just can't shake how shafted I feel when I need meter for a breaker or combo and realize I don't have any since I've been spending it on every damn move this variation requires for them to be useful.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Displacer and master of storms are spacing dependent. It's going to take awhile to get good with them. F2 and d4 are great pokes. Won't be able to play brain dead in the spacing game like some other characters. however, they still have f1. Thunder god is easier to be aggressive with as he has a full string off of f1 which is relatively safe and can be made slightly safer by canceling into shocker.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
Displacer and master of storms are spacing dependent. It's going to take awhile to get good with them. F2 and d4 are great pokes. Won't be able to play brain dead in the spacing game like some other characters. however, they still have f1. Thunder god is easier to be aggressive with as he has a full string off of f1 which is relatively safe and can be made slightly safer by canceling into shocker.
Im glad you said that. Honestly the hardest thing about the displacer variation is the footsies/neutral imo. Just no real way to control space makes me panic in the neutral. *rants about other glaring issues here*

Don't know if this is general knowledge, but you can hold the ex button (R2/RT) during enhanced teleport and you will not appear on screen until you let go. Possible increased mix-ups i assume.

EOTL

Does anyone else have issues with cancelling into teleport with certain strings. Like d3/d4 teleport. Normal teleports come out easily if you hold up, but getting a far teleport or any other variation requires different and precise timing for every string. I think it has something to do with the way option selects work in this game. Its very annoying

joeldm

Noob
I have a few tricks with Displacer to beat wakeups.
Combos ending in 112 give time to teleport and make B2 or B33 that will beat wakeup.
If wakeup used armor you can make another teleport to escape the wakeup.
I tested it only on Sub-Zero and Kung Jin.

infamy23

FireBeard
Nobody else is finding it insanely difficult to do EX teleport consistently?

I mean, I can do LRC no problem for god's sake, but doing a simple EX teleport is nearly impossible.

I even switched to my stick to see if it would be easier... nope. I can only get this move out 30% of the f'ing time. It's like you have to press Up+Block on the EXACT same frame or it doesn't work.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish

I mean, I can do LRC no problem for god's sake, but doing a simple EX teleport is nearly impossible.

I even switched to my stick to see if it would be easier... nope. I can only get this move out 30% of the f'ing time. It's like you have to press Up+Block on the EXACT same frame or it doesn't work.
Its the same way for me more or less. I could always do it when I meant to, or when it was part of my game plan but on reaction or on instinct I seemed to be a little late. I have a theory though. I believe that if you press right trigger as soon as you hit down or any time before you actually press up, the ex version should register based on how buffering and things of that nature work. Never tried it for myself though

infamy23

FireBeard
Its the same way for me more or less. I could always do it when I meant to, or when it was part of my game plan but on reaction or on instinct I seemed to be a little late. I have a theory though. I believe that if you press right trigger as soon as you hit down or any time before you actually press up, the ex version should register based on how buffering and things of that nature work. Never tried it for myself though
Wow you're right. I can do it easily now. Never occurred to me to input it this way. Thank you sir.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

Hmm I have the opposite problem. I can't do LRC, but EX Teleport is fairly consistent for me. The way I do it is Down, Block, Up, i.e. I press Block just a bit earlier than Up.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Don't know if this is general knowledge, but you can hold the ex button (R2/RT) during enhanced teleport and you will not appear on screen until you let go. Possible increased mix-ups i assume.
Yes, that has been known for a while and it is indeed a cool trick. I don't know how useful it'd actually be though. I have yet to incorporate it in my Raiden game. Are you using it?

Yes, that has been known for a while and it is indeed a cool trick. I don't know how useful it'd actually be though. I have yet to incorporate it in my Raiden game. Are you using it?
Seriously? I'm not at home so I can't test it right now but is it possible to say deal more damage than your opponent and then disappear and wait for the round to finish?

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...

I was finding it difficult to EX teleport. If you actually hit block just before you hit up it works a lot more consistently. Almost 100%

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Seriously? I'm not at home so I can't test it right now but is it possible to say deal more damage than your opponent and then disappear and wait for the round to finish?
Lol no, that won't work. Your opponent knows where you are, even if you disappear. They we'll either throw projectiles at you or something if you appear to do nothing. Imo this would be best used for a very short time, like up to a second or so, to throw them off, maybe even bait a punish and then finish the teleport and do a counter-punish of your own. This is just theory though, I'd love to hear the opinion of somebody who's used it in a real match.

Last edited: