What's new

Differences between MKAK and MAME?

dreemernj

Ambassador
DS I think is remade... things like landing a counterhit Bicycle Kick with Liu Kang or a counter hit Iceball with Sub in the corner means you can mash LP and they die with no iceskate preventing the infinite. There are little nuances like this that tell me it is remade and not simply a port.
UMK for DS looks like emulation to me, that's the only reason I could think of for why the game would run at a higher res than the DS screen can display. At some level the emulation is actually operating at a screen resolution equal to the arcade and then that output is shrunk down to fit on the screen.

My guess is they hacked up the ROM a bit. They replaced the drawing calls with new ones. The new ones probably have very different timings than the original. They probably changed the emulation to run at a different clockspeed and took away any waiting for the screen to finish drawing because of how drawing works on the DS vs the original hardware.

You can change CPU speed in MAME on the fly. Increasing or decreasing it can have some pretty unpredictable results. I think that's what makes UMK for DS so odd.