What's new

Guide - Cutthroat Derptile's Cutthroat Kano Guide(Updated for 3/29/16 patch changes)

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
One thing that I don't see is people using, unless I'm missing it, is EX DB1 being used as a whiff punish for negative things that F2 or F4 would never reach. Sure it's not max damage, but it's a nice little chunk none the less. The move will hit quite far away, test it out. I look at it the same as when I see all the predator players using his lunge move. It's basically the same thing. Just thought I'd bring it up since we're on Cutthroat. Plus if it's end of match....swag.

Calls me a potato even though he agrees with me on how good at least Cutthroat is :DOGE And you even have a great rating! Where's the downplaying dude? :tonyt

If you think B1 has the absolute worst range in the game then you clearly haven't played Jacqui :p
What do you mean by Predator's D4? Kano's D4 isn't the same, he sticks out his leg....do you mean range-wise?
Where are the DB1 combos that do max damage? Did you not find any notated?
Also I'm pretty sure F21 is -6 but I'll have to double check that.

Overall, great guide! Don't have anything to add myself right now but if I do I'll post it here.
You can kinda pressure with F21 because your opponent has to respect that last hit of that whole string F212. If you see your opponent poking after the F21 you can go for the whole string F212 and catch them and get a full combo doing around 30% no meter. this will make your opponent think twice about poking after the F21. So you can pressure with it. You just have to make the right reads when pressuring with the F21.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You can kinda pressure with F21 because your opponent has to respect that last hit of that whole string F212. If you see your opponent poking after the F21 you can go for the whole string F212 and catch them and get a full combo doing around 30% no meter. this will make your opponent think twice about poking after the F21. So you can pressure with it. You just have to make the right reads when pressuring with the F21.
...what has that got to do with anything I wrote though?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
One thing that I don't see is people using, unless I'm missing it, is EX DB1 being used as a whiff punish for negative things that F2 or F4 would never reach. Sure it's not max damage, but it's a nice little chunk none the less. The move will hit quite far away, test it out. I look at it the same as when I see all the predator players using his lunge move. It's basically the same thing. Just thought I'd bring it up since we're on Cutthroat. Plus if it's end of match....swag.
Ehh, you could always do RC F4/F212 instead, and I don't know if there's ever a time you would need to whiff punish from half screen with a 20 frame special lol.

Redux

Ex Phase
really good guide man. I never really realized the tools or how good Kano is/can be so I will probably try him out asap thanks to your guide.

NHDR

Noob
Wait, I think I just had a realization. Let's say you F212 and then try to F4 xx Kano Ball, something that hasn't worked for me so far. Are you supposed to run cancel after F212?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Wait, I think I just had a realization. Let's say you F212 and then try to F4 xx Kano Ball, something that hasn't worked for me so far. Are you supposed to run cancel after F212?
Um, are you talking about when you do a combo? I'm not sure if I follow.

Espio

Kokomo
Thanks for the shout out and good shit on the guide. I was thinking about playing this variation of Kano pre-release when he was announced, but got side tracked so after I get back from Summer Jam, I'll probably pick him up. Thread stickied.

#CUTFORKANO.

Last edited:

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Fantastic guide!

I do think Cutthroat is his best variation. Dont see why people think Cybernetic is better. Cutthroat fits MKX a lot better.
Cutthroat definitely plays mkx he is a solid character. I use cyber for certain match ups.
As a kano main learning all variations is a must (at least I think so) they all can cover most match ups

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
After a F212 launch, are you supposed to run cancel in order to F4 xx Kano Ball?
Not sure why you would be going for F4 after a single F212. If you mean F212 F212 F4 xx Kano Ball then no you don't need to run cancel but the second f212 should hit the opponent at considerable height for it to work. Still it's better to learn his RC combos, they're far more rewarding.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Not sure why you would be going for F4 after a single F212. If you mean F212 F212 F4 xx Kano Ball then no you don't need to run cancel but the second f212 should hit the opponent at considerable height for it to work. Still it's better to learn his RC combos, they're far more rewarding.
I'm pretty sure the kano ball whiffs sometimes after two f212 f4 I'll have to check but I think it does I tried making it easier for myself and it wasn't working so I just said fuck it and got f212 f212 rc 112 down

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I'm pretty sure the kano ball whiffs sometimes after two f212 f4 I'll have to check but I think it does I tried making it easier for myself and it wasn't working so I just said fuck it and got f212 f212 rc 112 down
Oh yeah, the combo is F212 F212 F4 xx Upball instead for 28%. Definitely not as good since it's not a hard knockdown and the opponent will be at considerable distance.

@NHDR

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Oh yeah, the combo is F212 F212 F4 xx Upball instead for 28%. Definitely not as good since it's not a hard knockdown and the opponent will be at considerable distance.

@NHDR
No you can do F212, F212, F4~Kano Ball for 29% consistently. After the 1st F212 make sure you push F2 at or near max height of the juggle. That way when its time for F4~Kano ball they have enough hang time to always be hit. Consistent against all hitboxes. If you do the 2nd F2 too late the F4~Kano Ball will whiff because their height will be too low, you'll ball over their body and go full screen. You can "almost mash" the 2nd F2 to get the max height so it isn't that execution heavy. I used to use it a lot before as a steady meterless combo.

@NHDR

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I thought EX Airball gave him an unblockable not a command grab.
While it is unblockable, it's incredibly easy to poke them out on reaction. Which means if you have a quick enough normal, it's incredibly easy to combo them out of them

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Hey Im gunna check this guide out tonight and give my overall opinion on it but thanks for taking the time to do it!

EDIT: Just finished reading since I'm still here. Everything in here is pretty much Cutthroat in a nutshell. Great job!

Im working on a Commando one, but I need some help with really one thing in particular. I'll be messaging some of you guys for help and of course I'll give credit where its due.

Last edited:

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
No you can do F212, F212, F4~Kano Ball for 29% consistently. After the 1st F212 make sure you push F2 at or near max height of the juggle. That way when its time for F4~Kano ball they have enough hang time to always be hit. Consistent against all hitboxes. If you do the 2nd F2 too late the F4~Kano Ball will whiff because their height will be too low, you'll ball over their body and go full screen. You can "almost mash" the 2nd F2 to get the max height so it isn't that execution heavy. I used to use it a lot before as a steady meterless combo.
That's probably why it wasn't working for me and talking about I had to practice the timing on f212 f212 because like you said if you miss a beat and Dont get it at max height then it can throw some stuff off I guess you use to much of the gravity