What's new

Depression sucks man

peachyO

Noob
Depression is a feeling I'm too familiar with. Ofcourse not year round, with not a second of happiness. There are some times when I'm happy. But lately, ugh, it's just been unbearable. In highschool I didn't have any friends or girlfriends. Like not one. I was just socially retarded. I was like this through middle school and high school. Didn't have a dad, my mom was extremely childish and never had a mother son relationship with me. Rarely ever shown affection. Life was just so fucked up and lonely that I just wanted to die and attempted suicide (play me the worlds smallest violin) . But at 17 I finally quit school got my GED and tried to really change myself and i did. I started dating and got girlfriends and friends and I'm a totally different person today. But... My social life still isn't as great as everyone elses. Its still not great, I'm unhappy with it. ESPECIALLY when I don't have a girlfriend to distract me from the fact. Which is the case now. I'm great at talking to people and being in social situations. Im not shy and people think im funny and many girls like me but my social life is still dumb and shitty. I have friends but not real close ones and never go to parties or anything like that and am rarely having any fun. And just feel lonely a lot. And I just get soooo depressed over it. I can never tell whether I'm being a baby or am justifiably depressed. Idk what this thread is about really, i just wanted to say that. Guess it can be about anything you want.
glad i found this post. just as you have been told by a number of other members, i'm always down to listen to you unload and vent. many of us can relate to the depression that can ensue when you lose a loved one, make a major life change, or have to deal with feeling socially awkward. your post really hit home because i have a son who, like you, had a hard time socially growing up, returned to school for a ged, has dealt with depression, and has self esteem issues, especially when he's single. just do your best to carry yourself like a boss, eat and sleep well, and quit feeling awkward. just be yourself at all times. if someone doesn't like it, eff 'em. now, you'll never be as fabulous as i am, and yes that hurts :) :D, but it's okay, love to you anyway bro.

seriously, hmu if u ever need, it'll be fun. take care, and remember you have bros here.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Depression is a feeling I'm too familiar with. Ofcourse not year round, with not a second of happiness. There are some times when I'm happy. But lately, ugh, it's just been unbearable. In highschool I didn't have any friends or girlfriends. Like not one. I was just socially retarded. I was like this through middle school and high school. Didn't have a dad, my mom was extremely childish and never had a mother son relationship with me. Rarely ever shown affection. Life was just so fucked up and lonely that I just wanted to die and attempted suicide (play me the worlds smallest violin) . But at 17 I finally quit school got my GED and tried to really change myself and i did. I started dating and got girlfriends and friends and I'm a totally different person today. But... My social life still isn't as great as everyone elses. Its still not great, I'm unhappy with it. ESPECIALLY when I don't have a girlfriend to distract me from the fact. Which is the case now. I'm great at talking to people and being in social situations. Im not shy and people think im funny and many girls like me but my social life is still dumb and shitty. I have friends but not real close ones and never go to parties or anything like that and am rarely having any fun. And just feel lonely a lot. And I just get soooo depressed over it. I can never tell whether I'm being a baby or am justifiably depressed. Idk what this thread is about really, i just wanted to say that. Guess it can be about anything you want.
You're young, only 20. Want some real advice? You got your GED, good for you but since you're still young, start thinking about college and get it done. What I've learned is that your life really picks up for you when you hit your mid twenties and honestly everything before-hand is just preparing you for how that will be. Some fall behind and catch up, myself included, but just set yourself up straight for the future. You'll look back a year or two from now at 'depression' and what bothered you won't even seem like a big deal. Time fixes everything.

HP Hatecraft

I am the beginning, I am the end.
Smoke Mary Jane, drink some beer, and fuck bitches. Problem solved. Just throwing it out there.
Or you know, some people don't smoke weed, and alcohol is a depressant.

I understand some of y'all are trying to be funny, but it kind of makes me wonder if you guys actually deal/dealt with clinical depression and the severity of it.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Or you know, some people don't smoke weed, and alcohol is a depressant.

I understand some of y'all are trying to be funny, but it kind of makes me wonder if you guys actually deal/dealt with clinical depression and the severity of it.
Thats why I said "Just throwing it out there" like an option if one so chooses. Depression is a state of mind, you can overcome it. Beer does help though, makes you feel better, but it depends how the person acts when they are drunk.

Many people haven't, and mental illness in general still isn't properly understood by many. It is far more tolerated and understood today though than, say, 30 to 40 years ago.

Thats why I said "Just throwing it out there" like an option if one so chooses. Depression is a state of mind, you can overcome it. Beer does help though, makes you feel better, but it depends how the person acts when they are drunk.
If it's simple sadness, then yes, anyone can overcome that and booze and stuff can help (especially in a social environment).

If it's actual, clinical depression, then no. Clinical depression is actually a health condition, and one can't just "overcome it" anymore than a cancer patient can remove their tumors through sheer will.

If the original poster is suffering from legitimate depression, then treatment _is_ required and it won't be a quick fix. Alcohol would also be a bad idea in this case because it _is_ a depressant, and if he does go on medication as part of treatment, alcohol will likely be right out as it can conflict with and alter the effects of the medication.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I don't typically post on these kinda boards often but I can share my incentives I guess with you, OP.

My parents had met in rehab, both were drug addicts. My mom has been physically put through hell through abuse of her ex-husband, my father (two different people) and her own father. Then you add in my older brothers from her old marriage in there abusing me along with my dad and you get the cycle of violence that breeds and molds a certain type of human being. That left me and my siblings to hit people.

As the first paragraph indicates, I grew into a family of alcoholics and drug addicts and abusers. My mother would abuse muscle relaxers and pain pills to deal with her fibromyalgia and if it got real bad, did crack cocaine. My father was the same way with crack.

Growing up was hell. We were poor and as much as welfare seems to be the "way of life" these days that didn't make it any more enjoyable. Soon as my dad was out of my life at 7 due to physical abuse, my mom raised us on her own and due to all of her damage she had the hardest time. I am still surprised to this day how she managed, with how she is unfortunately now. I still remember the hard days of picking her up off the floor because she was too stoned.

School was bad, because even though I was smart my peers around me disliked me. I was a bit awkward, but I didn't exactly come from a good background. Not to mention people were using me left and right. Was nearly raped at a young age by a family member and shit just made me kinda crazy since. I'm very paranoid around new people. I don't like them unless I know I can trust them.

I was in foster care for a year during middle school and was severely mistreated as my mom had to regain her rights for custody.

I have been in a psych ward four times. Three times for suicidal thoughts, and one for anger management. I have attempted to OD on pills about 6 times. Some may call me a crybaby for it, but then again the internet is a breeding grounds for "toxic freedom" that gives people a breath of "life" they couldn't find elsewhere. Truth is I thought I was going to end up killing people, so I thought offing myself was the best way to go.

Between all of my depression and whatever mental craziness that I couldn't understand at the time, I was given meds that were putting me through extremes. They were toxic if not monitored and were hurting my body so bad eventually I became dependent on them until quitting 6 months ago. Nothing quite like breaking down into tears because your body demands a substance you believe was helping you.

They say alcohol and weed or drugs of any kind can relieve the pain to a degree... Well seeing as I do both, they don't. Weed helps relieve some of the stress but weed isn't exactly what's going to get you out of the way you feel or situation. THC isn't a miracle drug as much as some people would like to make you believe. (does not mean it doesn't have it's uses) Alcohol just enhanced the feelings of despair.

I tell you this OP because I believe that even though my situation may sound extreme, people go through things all the time. Some worse than others in the sense of thresholds of pain, but it's true. Hell, i'm still not fully recovered from everything yet and shit still hurts really bad some days. That's mostly why I disappeared for quite sometime away from video games and message boards. The best way to conquer the beast is to slay it head on. Think of positive thoughts, think of what a future can bring you. Think of your loved ones and how much they've tried to put you in the best situation possible or even friends or mentors if family life isn't the best.

I may not of graduated from high school, I may not currently have a job or am doing anything I feel is productive. But damned if i'm not trying to do it, and I would rather die trying than to just give up. You are given one chance to live on this planet the way you are, why not make the best of it?

If anyone wishes to reach out to me in times of despair, or just to talk something out go ahead and PM me or try to contact me by other means. I'm all ears, and I wish to give back what I now know: Hope.

HP Hatecraft

I am the beginning, I am the end.
I don't typically post on these kinda boards often but I can share my incentives I guess with you, OP.

My parents had met in rehab, both were drug addicts. My mom has been physically put through hell through abuse of her ex-husband, my father (two different people) and her own father. Then you add in my older brothers from her old marriage in there abusing me along with my dad and you get the cycle of violence that breeds and molds a certain type of human being. That left me and my siblings to hit people.

As the first paragraph indicates, I grew into a family of alcoholics and drug addicts and abusers. My mother would abuse muscle relaxers and pain pills to deal with her fibromyalgia and if it got real bad, did crack cocaine. My father was the same way with crack.

Growing up was hell. We were poor and as much as welfare seems to be the "way of life" these days that didn't make it any more enjoyable. Soon as my dad was out of my life at 7 due to physical abuse, my mom raised us on her own and due to all of her damage she had the hardest time. I am still surprised to this day how she managed, with how she is unfortunately now. I still remember the hard days of picking her up off the floor because she was too stoned.

School was bad, because even though I was smart my peers around me disliked me. I was a bit awkward, but I didn't exactly come from a good background. Not to mention people were using me left and right. Was nearly raped at a young age by a family member and shit just made me kinda crazy since. I'm very paranoid around new people. I don't like them unless I know I can trust them.

I was in foster care for a year during middle school and was severely mistreated as my mom had to regain her rights for custody.

I have been in a psych ward four times. Three times for suicidal thoughts, and one for anger management. I have attempted to OD on pills about 6 times. Some may call me a crybaby for it, but then again the internet is a breeding grounds for "toxic freedom" that gives people a breath of "life" they couldn't find elsewhere. Truth is I thought I was going to end up killing people, so I thought offing myself was the best way to go.

Between all of my depression and whatever mental craziness that I couldn't understand at the time, I was given meds that were putting me through extremes. They were toxic if not monitored and were hurting my body so bad eventually I became dependent on them until quitting 6 months ago. Nothing quite like breaking down into tears because your body demands a substance you believe was helping you.

They say alcohol and weed or drugs of any kind can relieve the pain to a degree... Well seeing as I do both, they don't. Weed helps relieve some of the stress but weed isn't exactly what's going to get you out of the way you feel or situation. THC isn't a miracle drug as much as some people would like to make you believe. (does not mean it doesn't have it's uses) Alcohol just enhanced the feelings of despair.

I tell you this OP because I believe that even though my situation may sound extreme, people go through things all the time. Some worse than others in the sense of thresholds of pain, but it's true. Hell, i'm still not fully recovered from everything yet and shit still hurts really bad some days. That's mostly why I disappeared for quite sometime away from video games and message boards. The best way to conquer the beast is to slay it head on. Think of positive thoughts, think of what a future can bring you. Think of your loved ones and how much they've tried to put you in the best situation possible or even friends or mentors if family life isn't the best.

I may not of graduated from high school, I may not currently have a job or am doing anything I feel is productive. But damned if i'm not trying to do it, and I would rather die trying than to just give up. You are given one chance to live on this planet the way you are, why not make the best of it?

If anyone wishes to reach out to me in times of despair, or just to talk something out go ahead and PM me or try to contact me by other means. I'm all ears, and I wish to give back what I now know: Hope.
Damn, dude. Compelling story. Thank you for sharing that.

Everyone has their issues at the end of the day, I never met a person who didn't have anything dark within their history.

I think society is so messed up these days, that it contributes to the ever long cycle mental fucked upness. Everyone is afraid of being to sentimental or expressing their feelings, there are superficial expectations that affect men and women, on how you're supposed to fit this role of a "man" or "woman", I don't know man, everything's messed up.

I don't really care, this is true and this is how the generation is going.

Last edited:

This is very emotional, and sincere. I wish you and OP well. On a side note, you look strikingly like Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance from that profile pic or is that him?

Everyone has their issues at the end of the day, I never met a person who didn't have anything dark within their history.

I think society is so messed up these days, that it contributes to the ever long cycle mental fucked upness. Everyone is afraid of being to sentimental or expressing their feelings, there are superficial expectations that affect men and women, on how you're supposed to fit this role of a "man" or "woman", I don't know man, everything's messed up.

I don't really care, this is true and this is how the generation is going.

That trailer is spot on.

And every single person does have some issue or problem or what-not. The question isn't what do you have, it's how do you manage it.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
If it's simple sadness, then yes, anyone can overcome that and booze and stuff can help (especially in a social environment).

If it's actual, clinical depression, then no. Clinical depression is actually a health condition, and one can't just "overcome it" anymore than a cancer patient can remove their tumors through sheer will.

If the original poster is suffering from legitimate depression, then treatment _is_ required and it won't be a quick fix. Alcohol would also be a bad idea in this case because it _is_ a depressant, and if he does go on medication as part of treatment, alcohol will likely be right out as it can conflict with and alter the effects of the medication.
If you put it that way then I guess so.

Art

Grave_Intent
Take it easy , Satan.
I'm NOT Satan nor do I subscribe to the belief. I'm simply stating the facts. If you except the fact you will die and are at peace with it your pain becomes just a reminder that one day you will never have to feel it again. That in itself brings comfort. You will also find the dark not to be foreboding and realize that fear is just a natural response. Once these are achieved nothing will bother you emotionally. Your knowledge of the dark parts of yourself will always override your emotions and self analyzing becomes easy. Just keep in mind a few things... I am 43 years old it took me almost 11 years to come to this reality, and through pain and loss I found ONE thing to keep my ambitions alive (my daughter). We ALL need at least one ambition or thing to drive us. Just remember nothing lasts for ever and you MUST be OK with that or you will NEVER know peace.