What's new

decay's sketchbook

Decay

King of the Bill
Trying to respond to a few:
This is great, keep up the good work and more uploads would be awesome too!
Thanks! Yeah I'll post a lot of stuff in this thread.
Dude you're a muscular guy, you play a mean lobo, and you draw like a pro....
hello felicia
hah Thanksssss
How exactly does drawing work when you have to keep your arms at a 90 degree angle? jk lol good work
LOL I just attach the pencil to my elbow
You should draw Lobo.
Honestly, I'm planning on drawing concepts for Lobo as if NRS would make alternate costumes for him.
Leonardo Decayci
Does that work.
Vincent van Decay?
We'll go with that. No but seriously dude this is fucking amazing.
I can roll wit' it, thanks my dude.
Them concepts though.
do you even draw?

nah, fine work dawg. You should look for a job in the industry. Lots of places need concept artists.
Thanks, yes I LOVE doing concept art the most. I would definitely enjoy working for a game developer, I only have done small time work so far. NRS IM LOOKING FOR WORK ;)
Wow that creature looks like straight out of dark souls, nice work
Thanks dude, yeah dark souls is awesome, although I get a lot of inspiration from darker games like Doom and Quake.
That's awesome I'm trying to be a great artist too but I lack the tools. Which do you use?
Hmm, tools aren't as necessary as just getting to draw as much as possible. You could have the best equiptment on earth and still suck because you never practice. I would recommend getting cheap sketchbooks and a range of pencils and pens and just practice drawing from life and from imagination whenever you feel inspired. When you feel like you're ready, get a WACOM tablet (preferably an intuos or cintiq) and get photoshop on your computer. There's tons of free tutorials to teach you the tools but all the previous sketching you have done can only help you later on with digital stuff :) hope that helps bro
Man, Decay. I've got a friend you would love to meet. You both have similar artistic style, talent and taste.
That would be excellent, I'm always looking for more art contacts.
DUDE WTF. You draw also. Your like awesome as fuck. Dude you should draw me as Shazam. ;). Also your art is fucking awesome. Like holy shit.
haha Thanks Indecisive, trying to stay as awesome as possible!
Amazing stuff dude!!

Good shit at The Break this week, too. Just watched some of the Youtube uploads.
Yo much appreciated. Yeah this week was fun at the Break, played 90% solid.
Wow, I try myself also (profile pic), but not on that level haha. That's awesome!
Keep at it bro, it looks good to me. Practice practice
Very impressive decay
thanks homie
Make love to me.
I don't make love. I also never move wrong.
LOL

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Very nice man. I'm an artist myself. I'd love to see more of your work.

Decay

King of the Bill
This is an image I did completely in photoshop using only the paintbrushes. I like to study anatomy and stuff so I can draw radical concepts from mah brainnn

This is a master copy of a segment of a big piece originally done by Leonardo called the Battle of Anghieri. Master studies are copies of master piece artwork that you copy by looking at the work and trying to reconstruct it on your own in hopes that you learn something from that master or at least learn technique. So this was done in pencil and pastel.

Cyber-lion... just because... painted in photoshop

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
damn
here I was thinking I was special because I know how to program :(
you should draw lobo overcoming the martian matchup
plss tell me that you are going to MLG.............

Decay

King of the Bill
Very nice man. I'm an artist myself. I'd love to see more of your work.
Thank you sir, ask and you shall receive! Watch the thread because I'll continue to post artwork no matter what.
But are you single able to draw Harley Quinn and or sloths?
Yes I am single-handedly able to draw both Harley and Sloths. Especially if the sloth is on Harley's shoulder whispering into her ear, "do you like dragons?"
you do graff too?
I don't.. I never got into it unfortunately.
damn
here I was thinking I was special because I know how to program :(
you should draw lobo overcoming the martian matchup
plss tell me that you are going to MLG.............
Hah, I could draw Lobo fighting Martian, it would be a fun image. And I dunno if I can get out to MLG, I really want to but I've never been to a major before and traveling there for my first one might be kinda stressful.

Very, very nice work Decay. How did you acquire your skills? Were you mostly just self taught in the sense that you just did a lot observations from life? Or did you also have formal training from an instructor, such as in art school?

I love drawing too but I don't practice as much now as I did when I was younger and I'm mostly self taught. I would love to get back into it though and learn more, but throughout the years I've seem to have lost a lot of my motivation by not keeping up with it. I have a lot of art books at home, but sometimes I feel like I lack the fire and drive to pursue it more. Also knowing it takes a lot of dedication and knowledge to get to your level for instance, is sort of off putting. To be honest, at many times it feels like a struggle just to get my sketchbook out. Do you have any tips for a struggling artist such as myself?

And just out of curiosity what art books have you studied from (if you have I mean)? Right now I'm trying to absorb all the info from an anatomy art book by Andrew Loomis.

Decay

King of the Bill
Evidence of a modern day renaissance man? I think so.

Michealangeswoll. Swollatello.
thank you for the nicknames, when I become a Ninja Turtle, I'll use one of those.

not much i can say that others havent, if you have a website or online archive of your work please link it this stuff is amazing (if not you should make one)
Thanks man, I'm working on it dude
Very, very nice work Decay. How did you acquire your skills? Were you mostly just self taught in the sense that you just did a lot observations from life? Or did you also have formal training from an instructor, such as in art school?

I love drawing too but I don't practice as much now as I did when I was younger and I'm mostly self taught. I would love to get back into it though and learn more, but throughout the years I've seem to have lost a lot of my motivation by not keeping up with it. I have a lot of art books at home, but sometimes I feel like I lack the fire and drive to pursue it more. Also knowing it takes a lot of dedication and knowledge to get to your level for instance, is sort of off putting. To be honest, at many times it feels like a struggle just to get my sketchbook out. Do you have any tips for a struggling artist such as myself?

And just out of curiosity what art books have you studied from (if you have I mean)? Right now I'm trying to absorb all the info from an anatomy art book by Andrew Loomis.
This is a good question, let me try to answer it to the best ability I can. First off, thanks for the compliment. I'm not entirely self-taught but I have been drawing since a tiny baby because my father is an artist too (he did small time work for DC) so I have the genetic ability. I hated art classes in highschool so my parents got me into a private art instructor's classes and I appreciated art a lot more after that, and eventually got a portfolio ready for college and learned oil painting, still life sketching and sculpture in college. But it wasn't until I decided I wanted to learn to do digital painting when I had to truly teach myself. I bought a WACOM tablet and looked at tutorials and let me tell you, my first year of learning it was so disheartening because of how bad my work was I almost quit. But I continued to push myself until I figured out how to get a grasp on the tablet and I'm STILL learning.
You are correct, it takes a lot of time to develop good skills but my tip would be to understand that you'll never ever be happy with your work. You see my work and you think I'm content with it, but there's plenty of work that I hold back from showing you guys because of how much I think it sucks. So my point is that you will never be totally satisfied with where you are at as far as skill level goes, but it's a good sign, because if you look at something you did 5 months ago and you think you can do way better now, then that means you probably improved... so you can imagine how fast you'll improve if you can see the flaws in work you just recently created. It just takes practice to know HOW to improve it and why it looks strange. That practice you get from just constantly doodling and seeing something that inspires you and try to create or at times, even copy it.

Books? I have a LOT of anatomy books, I recommend George Bridgeman's constructive anatomy if you are interested in drawing people or monsters. Also look at artwork from Justin Sweet, Brom, Carlos Huante is one of my favorites, and Daarken. Daarken has a lot of free painting tutorials at www.enliighten.com and he's just an overall awesome dude. I sincerely urge you to pick up the pencil again and just draw ANYTHING. Do at least 15 minutes of sketching a day just to get the juices flowing. Hope that helps brotha!

Thank you man!! I really appreciate you giving me all that advice and suggestions. I actually have that book by George Bridgeman too. Excellent point in just to keep drawing everday even if it's for just 15 minutes. I think I might have been burned out for the longest time. But like most things in life, I forget you have to start things off in increments and and work your way up. I think my mindset has just been focused on trying to get too good, too fast. And just expecting too much out of myself and letting myself down in the process. And that's why I'm probably not drawing as much now.

But that's why talking about things like this with other like minded individuals such as yourself, can help someone see things in a new light. I already feel like taking out my sketchbook again. Thanks again man!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Holy Shit dude! I love dead space and you fucking nailed it!!

Time to go work for NRS drawing up concepts for new characters!!!

RYX

BIG PUSHER
*insecurities awaken*

wish i could draw like that, i could never sit down and practice it though :( great stuff mate, happy to see more of it in the future. watching this thread

Thank you sir, ask and you shall receive! Watch the thread because I'll continue to post artwork no matter what.

Yes I am single-handedly able to draw both Harley and Sloths. Especially if the sloth is on Harley's shoulder whispering into her ear, "do you like dragons?"

I don't.. I never got into it unfortunately.

Hah, I could draw Lobo fighting Martian, it would be a fun image. And I dunno if I can get out to MLG, I really want to but I've never been to a major before and traveling there for my first one might be kinda stressful.
If you're able to I'd do it man. I had the same thought process before, finally decided to get out to scr but life happened. From what people have told me MLG is one of the greatest things to be at. I mean there's 70 guys playing casuals in Cali, not a downside. The bracket is stacked, anyone can beat anyone. If you're thinking of going I can pass you my info, but everyone over there seems really welcoming

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Decay if you are able to MLG go for it. Although its going to be a lot of money. And its like next weekend. But if you can do it then go for it man. Meet new people hang out in cali. Have a blast.