What's new

Dark Souls Thread

Reedoms

Noob
I found out that people who invade me are scared little babies when I nearly 1 shot them with a backstab.

*edit*
Oh yea, Blighttown sucks. I learned that too.

I've yet to even be invaded once. I'm also disappointed that it's nearly impossible to coop with a friend this time around. Overall though, still a great game.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Having too much of a good time with the game. Still have a lot of issues with them not explaining ANYTHING in their god damn game, as well as a horrid frame rate. That said - the game has made me put down MK for almost 7 days... impressive.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I want to check this game out but i'm afraid to invest so much time into a game when Skyrim is just around the corner...

should I get this or what?

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I want to check this game out but i'm afraid to invest so much time into a game when Skyrim is just around the corner...

should I get this or what?
The one issue I've always had with Elder Scrolls is their combat system. It has taken a back seat to every other amazing feature in their games. Dark Souls/Demons Souls have created the combat Skyrim should have. However what it lacks is a good storyline, character development, and physical graphics. Their rpg elements are simply different - I don't think one could argue that one is better.

In terms of exploration, there is probably more to see in Skyrim; that said, the sense of horror as you walk through every doorway is something that can't be matched in any other game.

If you can - get both. If I had to choose... I would probably wait for Skyrim since I'm much more interested in story development. With all this said, Uncharted 3 > All the games this year

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Im planning to play Skyrim naked or with starting gear on my first run after playing through dark souls. i fear nothing that bethesda can throw at me, whats the worst that can happen, i'll die and probably not lose anything worth crying over. I recommend anyone to get this game as it really will make all other games look like sesame street

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
what type of character are you playing? i used a pyromancy/sorcery build, i was going to NG+ it but the first time round was hard enough, without massive endurance/vitality and the ability to wear heavy shit and still be able to move its REALLY challenging. Also DONT use the leveling/farming glitches they ruin the game for you, and ruin online because everyone who invades you is further in the plot than you and has access to stuff which you dont. Just play through normally and you will have a much better time (and the ability to get help from people on bosses because you arent 100 levels ahead of them )

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I play a sort of jack of all trades tank-ish character with decent pyromancy; definitely not a pvp build. I rely heavily on ring of fog to survive pvp encounters because it seems like everyone I face has the most baller weapons and armor and wrecks my shit if I don't go invis, probably because of those exploits.

I kind of diminished my experience with demon's souls because I picked up the game late in it's life and looked up what the best builds were right away. This time I'm trying to look up as little as possible and just figure shit out on my own. I'm playing it safe and evenly distributing stats so I can get a taste of everything. Right now I'm rolling with:

demon spear
eagle shield
stone gauntlets and leggings
eastern armor
gold hemmed hood

great chaos fireball
toxic mist

havel's ring (always on so I'm only at the first encumbrance level with the heavy equipment I've got)
fog ring/wolf ring/bite rings/clover ring (the stamina regen one) based on the situation

I forget what level I am (at work, can't check). It's definitely not higher than 40 though. Highest stats are endurance/vitality; everything else is pretty evenly spread out.

There are so many ways to upgrade stuff, it's crazy.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
A great ring that i have had since before the 1st gargoyle is the ring of favor and protection : 20% boost to HP, Stamina and Carry capacity. you cant unequip it as it breaks, but i havent found anything better than that in the whole game so i would reccomend it. get it off the gold knight Lautrec.

I wouldnt worry about pvp at this stage too, theres a patch coming which should make it playable, most people are just glitchers. You can do a glitch that lets you machine gun fire poo or firebombs. Also Tranquil walk of peace in pvp is the bane of my existance, i hate anybody who uses that with the ninja flip ring and lightning weps.

Which console are you playing on, i hear the xbox has terrible frame rate in some areas (specifically blighttown) and ps3 is said to encounter this too, but i havent experienced it either. Also complaints about regular freezes and crashes, also havent experienced this but it seems to be a huge issue, have you had anything like that?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
A great ring that i have had since before the 1st gargoyle is the ring of favor and protection : 20% boost to HP, Stamina and Carry capacity. you cant unequip it as it breaks, but i havent found anything better than that in the whole game so i would reccomend it. get it off the gold knight Lautrec.

I wouldnt worry about pvp at this stage too, theres a patch coming which should make it playable, most people are just glitchers. You can do a glitch that lets you machine gun fire poo or firebombs. Also Tranquil walk of peace in pvp is the bane of my existance, i hate anybody who uses that with the ninja flip ring and lightning weps.

Which console are you playing on, i hear the xbox has terrible frame rate in some areas (specifically blighttown) and ps3 is said to encounter this too, but i havent experienced it either. Also complaints about regular freezes and crashes, also havent experienced this but it seems to be a huge issue, have you had anything like that?
Lautrec made off with the fire keeper's soul so I'll have to track him down later.

I play on ps3 and I did experience frame rate drops in blighttown, but only when I was on the ladders overlooking the edge. It's probably a huge processor hit to draw all of that stuff. It never bothered me. No freezes or crashes either.

The only real issue I have with the game is sometimes the collision/clipping is buggy as fuck and can get you killed.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
collisions with enemies is the worst, and random tiny bits of rubble on the floor. Without spoilering because idk how far ahead youve looked/been but on the londo boss/es Ornstein & Smough, you will get so many bullshit deaths due to shit like getting stuck on invisible pillars and the camera spinning randomly, and spears seem to hit you through doors and walls and round corners, pretty annoying but definately just adds to the rage pool that fuels this game.

Stupid shit i hated was all the randomer messages saying useless crap like "try jumping" "praise the sun" "i cant take this" and even stuff like "gorgeous view imminent" there seems to be so many of them, and most of the ones that sound usefull are just trolling that got ranked up enough to look legit :(

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I actually get a chuckle out of the random retarded messages. I always rank up the ones that point to actual illusory walls. It was because of a second "illusory wall" message that I found the great hollow and ash lake.

Yea, I haven't gotten to ornstein/smough yet but I will soon I think. My approach to the map has been similar to my character; checking out all the areas a little at a time.

I bailed out of the demon ruins last night at the bottom of the capra demon staircase. getting past all the capra demons after resting at the bonfire underneath them was probably the hardest thing I've encountered so far.

Reedoms

Noob
I actually get a chuckle out of the random retarded messages. I always rank up the ones that point to actual illusory walls. It was because of a second "illusory wall" message that I found the great hollow and ash lake.

Yea, I haven't gotten to ornstein/smough yet but I will soon I think. My approach to the map has been similar to my character; checking out all the areas a little at a time.

I bailed out of the demon ruins last night at the bottom of the capra demon staircase. getting past all the capra demons after resting at the bonfire underneath them was probably the hardest thing I've encountered so far.
Just wait until you get past the Boss of Demon Ruins. Lost Izalith is hands down the most retarded area I've ever been in.

I just finished my 2nd NG so I decided to make a pyromancer and they are easy/OP as fuck. I haven't died yet and I just beat Gaping Dragon. I have like 25 Humanity since I helped so many people at Capra Demon as a Sunbro.

I'm gonna try and make a Thief and join the Gravekeeper Covenant at a real low SL so I can invade and fuck up other peoples games from the start. Isn't gonna be easy.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Low level pvp is probably the most counter productive thing you can do, its so funny though.
I can remember when i first turned human and got ganked by a phantom. Was raging so hard because i was struggling enough just to deal with the npc enemies, so i can see someone getting disheartened and rage quitting forever.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Went through sen's fortress last night. That place is way bigger than I thought it would be.

So many side tracks. Getting eaten by a chest was pretty lolsy, too.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
If you want a tip vs chests then read on, if you dont want spoiler and would like to figure it out for yourself (more fun :p ) then dont read it :p

All chests have a chain attached to the right hand side of them, and there is a slight difference between normal chests and mimic chests. Dont ask how i figured this out but i like to look at things like that, i spent like 20 minutes at the start of the game just admiring models and skins and looking at stuff /sad

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
If you want a tip vs chests then read on, if you dont want spoiler and would like to figure it out for yourself (more fun :p ) then dont read it :p

All chests have a chain attached to the right hand side of them, and there is a slight difference between normal chests and mimic chests. Dont ask how i figured this out but i like to look at things like that, i spent like 20 minutes at the start of the game just admiring models and skins and looking at stuff /sad
lol, I've been poking every chest before opening it since then. That's cool about the chain though, good eye.

Reedoms

Noob

If the chain is towards you, it's a mimic, if it's curled away, its normal. They also breath. You'll notice the chest opening slightly then closing.
I usually just whack away at all chests I see though.