What's new

Cyrax needs better normals.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Cyrax has always been my main and I love using him but after the bomb trap was removed he's just not nearly as good. His normals are slow, he doesn't have any low hits in strings either, but the bomb trap made up for that. I was using Sektor and he has some really good normals with good mixups. I think NRS should give Cyrax and slight buff by adding in some better normals with low hits.

Altsa

Cyrax has few of the easiest 60% combos with only 1 bar of meter, I personally dont need low strings. Wait till they make a mistake and punish hard. Its also funny that enchanted Ragdoll hits 95% of the time as they never block low.

McNasty

Moist.
check out the cyrax forum for other traps. his normals are far better then other characters so I wouldn't complain.

NariTuba

disMember
Cyrax has always been my main and I love using him but after the bomb trap was removed he's just not nearly as good. His normals are slow, he doesn't have any low hits in strings either, but the bomb trap made up for that. I was using Sektor and he has some really good normals with good mixups. I think NRS should give Cyrax and slight buff by adding in some better normals with low hits.
One of my friends mains Smoke, and has gotten pretty good with him. When I try to throw bombs he combines teleport with cloud dashes to punish me. Random nets are out of the question because of his shake. So basically my zoning is pretty much done for against him. Lately it has come down to me block dashing in hopes of baiting a mistake I can punish, but he will smoke dash in a combo more times than I can catch him.

I have to work SO hard in order to get in and once I do I really don´t have much to pressure with. I would appreciate some tips if there is something I´m missing. Otherwise, some strings that hit low sound like a good idea to me.

Recently I picked up Liu Kang and destroyed his smoke with balls out pressure and mix-ups. Of course I dont expect Cyrax to be good at everything, but a nice simple close up mix-up a la sub-zero would be nice.

One of my friends mains Smoke, and has gotten pretty good with him. When I try to throw bombs he combines teleport with cloud dashes to punish me. Random nets are out of the question because of his shake. So basically my zoning is pretty much done for against him. Lately it has come down to me block dashing in hopes of baiting a mistake I can punish, but he will smoke dash in a combo more times than I can catch him.

I have to work SO hard in order to get in and once I do I really don´t have much to pressure with. I would appreciate some tips if there is something I´m missing. Otherwise, some strings that hit low sound like a good idea to me.

Recently I picked up Liu Kang and destroyed his smoke with balls out pressure and mix-ups. Of course I dont expect Cyrax to be good at everything, but a nice simple close up mix-up a la sub-zero would be nice.

I have the same issue against good smokes,good jades, good nightwolfs. Since Cyrax is primarily a zoner, they pretty much render Cyrax useless with their counter tools. From up close you can't pressure well with Cyrax now that the bomb trap is gone. You're pretty much toast either way you look at it against high skilled aformentioned characters. This is one of the reasons I do not consider Cyrax to be S tier. His zoning is great but mixup game from close is severely lacking. The new command grab is useless and easy to avoid.

Jamison

Noob
I just learned Cyrax this last weekend and although no where close to call him a main I zone the heck out of players and win a majority of the time. This is all after the bomb trap fix. I can't imagine if you were able to do a bomb trap.....invincibility??? To answer how to get up close, throw two bombs then when the one nearest your opponent is about to explode, teleport. Then combo. (Although I need to learn his combos) I have been winning playing old school style before the days of combos. Good ol' block, mix ups, and constant change of gameplay.

Mosp

Noob
I just learned Cyrax this last weekend and although no where close to call him a main I zone the heck out of players and win a majority of the time. This is all after the bomb trap fix. I can't imagine if you were able to do a bomb trap.....invincibility??? To answer how to get up close, throw two bombs then when the one nearest your opponent is about to explode, teleport. Then combo. (Although I need to learn his combos) I have been winning playing old school style before the days of combos. Good ol' block, mix ups, and constant change of gameplay.
If you are winning by just zoning with Cyrax and no combos then you must be playing some bad players, no offense. A bunch of characters have teleports and dashing moves with armor which go right through your nets. Like it or not you're gonna have to play up close for a portion of the game and I feel like he falls very short in this aspect. Also as Tom Brady said, no character can win off just zoning and I believe that is true when fighting good players.

Jamison

Noob
If you are winning by just zoning with Cyrax and no combos then you must be playing some bad players, no offense. A bunch of characters have teleports and dashing moves with armor which go right through your nets. Like it or not you're gonna have to play up close for a portion of the game and I feel like he falls very short in this aspect. Also as Tom Brady said, no character can win off just zoning and I believe that is true when fighting good players.
Yes not zoning alone. It is playing smart, blocking and mixing it up, very much like days of old. I do know I would get dominated by a REAL good player, but what I have found is combos online sometimes fall short due to lag or missing frames or whatever the heck the issue is. This is where you play the problem to your advantage. It's all about learning a new character, losing is part of learning what to do the next time to defeat that certain style of play. Combos will be learned just like I have done with my mains, but just having fun with the craziness that is Cyrax. Look me up on PSN Mosp123 I am sure you could school me, but I always like a challenge.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sub-Zero does not have bomb and net setups/traps that lead to 50% + damage...

Trap1994

Noob
Yes it was. Either lag or opponent incompetence is responsible for your bomb 'traps'.
Look at this

The patch changed cyrax´s command throw break from 2 frame windown to 10 frame windown so it was not removed but it can be stopped easier. But for do some combo you don´t need specially the command throw...the video demonstrate that...

NariTuba

disMember
Sub-Zero does not have bomb and net setups/traps that lead to 50% + damage...
True, good point. I must say however that I would gladly sacrifice some of his damage for some upclose possibilities. Don´t forget that in order to apply that damage you have to get in first.

As I posted b4, I feel Cyrax has to work TOO hard in order to get an opening with some of the cast; meaning the ammount of skill required to keep him out is just so much lower than the ammount of skill needed to get in with him.

I agree with nerfing his bomb trap, but I disagree with making his command grab techabble on reaction. If you keep his command grab then he keeps his upclose game and we wouldnt have to discuss better normals for him at all.

We cannot forget that this is all about fun in the end, and lately I´ve found that Ive been needing to do a lot of precise block dashing and baiting in order to find the opening I need to apply the big combos. The consequence: Ive been playing other chatacters in order to have fun.

Ive always seen Cyrax (and I do realize this is just my personal opinion) as a character with enormous creative possibilities. In UMK3 I always had so much fun trying different combinations of bombs, nets and AAs. A character that requires skill but has big payoffs, not ONLY in the damage department but also in the fun, creative aspect. CG and Buzzsaw are both almost useless, and his teleport is unsafe. I feel hes been driven into a cul-de-sac from a design standpoint. My suggestions would be the following:

bring back command grab!

Other possibilities (open for dicussion of course) might be to give him some low hitting strings (maybe regular ragdoll hitting low?) or maybe make his buzzsaw equivalent to Sektors flame.

Again, I would accept a damage output reduction in exchange for some more creative possibilities

Raven3r

Noob
Look at this

The patch changed cyrax´s command throw break from 2 frame windown to 10 frame windown so it was not removed but it can be stopped easier. But for do some combo you don´t need specially the command throw...the video demonstrate that...
The bomb trap has been removed. The stagger after cyber throwdown can be cancelled earlier by player input; they can jump away before you're able to attack them once you've placed the bomb.

NariTuba

disMember
STORMS has posted some videos of Florida casual play with Noobe playing a nice Cyrax

http://testyourmight.com/forum/content.php?1338-MK9-in-Florida-Casual-Sessions-Recorded

Notable techniques:

poking
D+FP - D+FP, ragdoll - D+FP, 11
D+FK - D+FK, ragdoll - D+FK, 11
D+BK - D+BK, ragdoll
1,1 - 1,1,1 for the overhead finish

air-throw to shorten distances, gaining meter and crossing over
command grab
+/- 60% saw reset combo
random incorporation of Ex ragdoll to hit low as a result of meter gain derived from aggressive poking tactics

I will gladly say that I stand corrected on some of the things I stated above. None of this is bullet proof of course but it has certainly opened my eyes in regards to Cyrax normals. Those pokes bring back command grab into his game too as it can be used in a more unpredictable manner. Very happy to have seen this!

Trap1994

Noob
The bomb trap has been removed. The stagger after cyber throwdown can be cancelled earlier by player input; they can jump away before you're able to attack them once you've placed the bomb.

Yes you right but if the player don´t do this the trap will start...so if your opponent Is incompetent you can still do it xD...online there is a lot of noobs...but not with pro players...i mean that cyrax has a lot of combos that don´t need the bomb trap and thay are still doable..