What's new

critique my kano play?

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
@ about 1:47:30, me vs Lord of the Fly
http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/299679756

@ 59 minutes in, me vs ATL Redd (trollin as tom brady)
http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/299687710

@ about 1:20:30, me vs Clint
http://www.twitch.tv/funkyp/b/299687710

i always knew noob vs kano was a tough match-up, but clint completely wrecked my shit with that one. i had fought him in the winners bracket and beat his reptile and sonya, so he counterpicked in that match and tore me up to the point i had to switch characters. what can kano really do in that?

also, the match with Redd; i know some may say i need to save my meter for breaker, but kano can't out-zone liu kang (or at least i can't out-zone Redd). i feel like i can beat liu kang up close, which is why i kept doing the EX air ball. feedback would be much appreciated!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Noob is a bitch and I hate him.

You had him a ton of times in the corner first match... and didn't X-ray... and you had him set up.
The other thing is that he didn't respect you up close. Kano's d4 gives him that uninterruptible b1,1,2 and idk if you knew it (i'm sure you do). It was if you forgot to do it.

Really I want to know what you were thinking in the Noob match.... how were you trying to approach it?

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Really I want to know what you were thinking in the Noob match.... how were you trying to approach it?
punish clones with air ball and try to stay on him when i could. i think he got my rhythm down and was able to time my jumps with the shadows and knock me out of the air; i've always had a bad bad time with the noob match-up but this is the first time i had to face it offline against a player as good as Clint is.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
punish clones with air ball and try to stay on him when i could. i think he got my rhythm down and was able to time my jumps with the shadows and knock me out of the air; i've always had a bad bad time with the noob match-up but this is the first time i had to face it offline against a player as good as Clint is.
I think he would have feared you more if you would simply dash blocked in. It was a neat tug a pull in the first few matches. I personally felt you jumped TOO much... because Kano is no slouch up close (he's frustrating... because his stuff LOOKS slow but it is not). I dunno... I don't want to be a hindsight driver. I liked how you played the other matches that night.

It was bothering me how often you were getting hit by groundsaws. You can straight ball right over them, and he was using them pretty frequently so you could've punished it nearly everytime and could've been close to put some pressure on him. It also seemed like you threw too many knives while the opponent was in jump distance, and you used meter when it wasn't really necessary. I prefer to save meter for X-ray or EX straight ball when I'm getting pressured up close since it has armor. And at the end of the Kabal match you threw EX knives, and then didn't really follow up with anything after that. If I'm trying to chip someone to death or willing to take a risk, I straight ball after the EX knives from full screen since the knives recover so fast they pretty much will always get hit by it if they jump or try to advance after the knives hit them, you basically straight ball right behind the knives, is what I'm saying here. Like I mentioned about the EX ball having armor though, it could've got you out of Kabals rushdown a bit easier. I wouldn't upball much against Liu Kang either. I have some trouble with his pressure myself so I don't have much to say about him. I don't think you can straight ball over his low fireballs either so that's hard to get around. So dash block in is really your best bet or you could just air ball him if you time it right of course. As for Noob, I seriously can't fight him very well either. I jump around all over the place hoping to find some point to attack him but I struggle with him alot. The only strategy I can suggest here is to stay full screen and air ball any clones you can on reaction, & after awhile he'll stop throwing them and you can get a knife or two back at him and keep him locked in block maybe. I don't think Kano can do much besides stay at full screen a punish clones so expect a long fight and have patience. I read you can sweep from max range under his up shadow on wake up, so you could try that out if you want to. It does work, it's just hard to do correctly for me personally. And hmmm, I think you could bait teleports from full screen as well after awhile. And yeah, that's really I got to say so far... Good stuff though!