What's new

Consistency vs Difficult/High Damage

Consistency vs Diffucult/High Damage combos

• Total voters

Spencer

Always Training
As the title says this thread is to discuss if you should go for high damage or consistency in combos or anything this applies too.

Please leave a reason why.

As we all know most fighting games and some characters have some combos or whatever that can be really,really execution heavy.
Whether it's timing,inputs, or both it can get really hard to do consistent.

Discuss if you should go with Consistency or Difficult/High Damage Combos.

What if you practice a Difficult combos a lot will it ever become consistent? Muscle Memory?

I will leave a poll for voting.

Oh... And grab some popcorn because it's about to get guud.

Spencer

Always Training
It would be nice if some top competitors join in to this discussion it would help a lot of us get better.

Ehmm.... Tag em guys

Lol

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
a lot people ask on my YouTube channel why I go right into trance instead of b2 trance. It's less damage but more consistent for me to hit. In a high stress scenario you need to find the biggest amount of room for error while sacrificing the least amount Of damage. So I wouldn't really say consistency/low damage. But consistency/less damage

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
a lot people ask on my YouTube channel why I go right into trance instead of b2 trance. It's less damage but more consistent for me to hit. In a high stress scenario you need to find the biggest amount of room for error while sacrificing the least amount Of damage. So I wouldn't really say consistency/low damage. But consistency/less damage
Really dude. You can't consistently hit B2 trance :\ ?

Nortnauq

QUAN CHI FOR DLC
just B2, F3.
no need to B2, BF3.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
As the title says this thread is to discuss if you should go for high damage or consistency in combos or anything this applies too.

Please leave a reason why.

As we all know most fighting games and some characters have some combos or whatever that can be really,really execution heavy.
Whether it's timing,inputs, or both it can get really hard to do consistent.

Discuss if you should go with Consistency or Difficult/High Damage Combos.

What if you practice a Difficult combos a lot will it ever become consistent? Muscle Memory?

I will leave a poll for voting.

Oh... And grab some popcorn because it's about to get guud.
I'll take consistency over damage any day, thank you.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Basically, Hunter Damage over Hish Qu Ten Damage. Once I get the muscle memory, I choose the Hunter Damage, unless it's cancelling like D'Vorah.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Consistency/low damage
REASONS:
InstAnt air fireballs, with liu kang,I'd rather obviously go for 4 instant air fireballs instead of 5 because I'm not really THAT confident on my execution.Its obviously better to go for less damage and more consistency and if you drop the difficult combo,well.Guess what?You wasted a bar....And damage....And oki setups....And pressure...and get full combo'd...

Edit:
But What if you practice the difficult combo Lets say... Over a thousand times will it become consistent?

Hmmm...
If the combo is something that i CAN get down in "Hours of practice" then I'd obviously go for it,if not, I'll go for the consistent one. :D

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
If it's my main, I will practice for a long time and push myself to be able to do the highest-execution combos. Think Daigo/Sako with Evil Ryu, they almost never miss a link because they put so much time in.

If I find I just can't get that combo 10/10 times facing both directions, fuck it. If I can't hit it every time in practice, there's no way it will be consistent in real matches, especially online or with tourney nerves. Losing 3-4% is worth hitting it every time instead of losing 10-20%, losing your oki, and potentially getting full combo'd because you dropped your link.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
It depends on the chars. Some chars you need to do the execution heavy stuff to play them at the highest lvl.

I like to keep it simple. Consistency over getting the most damage possible. For example sacrifice 50% combo more difficult and get 46% instead for the consistency easier. That's me. I don't lose alot of matches because of drops but it's happened to me going for the harder combo sometimes.

Consistency. Always.

Where's that ESL match where Liu Kang lost because he tried to do end a combo in a max damage d2 instead of just doing 11?

I'm sick of watching good players drop combos all over the place. Getting max damage off a combo is rarely important. If the amount of damage you get off a combo is the most important factor then Blood God would be S+ tier.

If professional basketball players dropped passes as often as professional MKX players dropped combos, nobody would watch basketball.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
How about Consistent High Damage? I prefer that than both of those. No combo is hard in this game if you practice it. If you don't practice it then you are the problem. Like why have all these damaging set ups and combos and scared to do them. Granted If you're playing Online the obvious delay will mess you up. But if you're offline there's no excuse to not have consistent high damage combos. Or OPTIMAL damage if you will.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
How about Consistent High Damage? I prefer that than both of those. No combo is hard in this game if you practice it. If you don't practice it then you are the problem. Like why have all these damaging set ups and combos and scared to do them. Granted If you're playing Online the obvious delay will mess you up. But if you're offline there's no excuse to not have consistent high damage combos. Or OPTIMAL damage if you will.
No combo is hard in this game.

4u4...call me a lair. I'll wait.

Thought so..hold that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It depends on the chars. Some chars you need to do the execution heavy stuff to play them at the highest lvl.

I like to keep it simple. Consistency over getting the most damage possible. For example sacrifice 50% combo more difficult and get 46% instead for the consistency easier. That's me. I don't lose alot of matches because of drops but it's happened to me going for the harder combo sometimes.
Was just going to say this. Depends on if you need the execution for your character or not. If you're doing gymnastics (and dropping the combo half the time) to get 42% when you could be doing 10/10 on 38%, probably not a great idea in the heat of battle. But if your character requires tight links/timing and execution to do their BnB, no choice.

There are also situational reasons; like maybe you're feeling confident enough and are up by enough in the match/set to risk going for some extra swag. But we've definitely seen that decision cost some people dearly, and in some cases cost people an entire game/set.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
depends on the charcter really

EDIT: to explain, i play a little bit of Erron, for his optimal outlaw bnb you need to do an instant jip2 after db4, then b32u1 njp etc etc. it's actually pretty tight to do the njp so most of the time ill just go for b2 or run f24 straight away and im only missing 1% dmg by not doing the njp, so yeah... on the other hand to, Tempest BnBs requires quite a bit of timing, from the 44 2f link to the jk/dk depnding on the distance.. sometimes you find yourself missing the 21 ender cause you were slightly too far, so you need to do a little run befroe jk/dk.... it's not the hardest execution in the game, but it's something you need to practice to make the difference between 24% and 36% optimal meterless dmg

Last edited:
If you care about winning, it is all about consistency. If you go into a tournament match and go for a combo that you KNOW you can't land consistently, your an idiot. It sounds offensive but it is true. If you only land a certain combo like 2% of the time in practice mode what makes you think you can land it in a tournament? It's silly.

In casuals/single player/practice mode and etc. Difficult combos are alright. Do whatever you want actually. Because you don't have anything to lose trying to go for them.