What's new

Complaining about input buffer after blocked jump-ins

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
Hey so I noticed that the input buffer acts differently whether a jump-in attack hits or is blocked. When hitting, it behaves the same as MK9 (and UMK3); that is, you just buffer as early as you please and whatever string you do comes out upon landing. However, when an attack is blocked, the buffer shrinks, not only at the start but at the end as well.

What I mean is, if the opponent is blocking and you input a button right before your jump-in connects with their body, it won't come out (whereas it would come out if it hits). If you time it right when it hits, it'll register and come out upon landing. But if you input a button a bit later than that, right before landing, nothing happens. There's some weird gap in the buffer that doesn't exist when an attack hits. You actually DO have advantage after a blocked jump-in, it's just easy to miss the buffer...you have to do it late, but not TOO late. It's really weird. It makes me only want to use strings that start with 1 of the same button so I can just mash it out, because otherwise it doesn't come out consistently. Example, as Cyborg, I use the 11 strings instead of b+1,2, even though there is quite enough blockstun to do b b+12, but I basically have to do the string like b+1112 in case it's blocked. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah, you can see it easily when you use record in training mode. Do a jump in into a string on hit. Then play it back while blocking and it won't come out. If you do b12 (for example), you'll get the b2 and it'll skip the b1 due to what you were saying

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
soooo....all this really means is that we have to remeber this and adjust our button presses then if they block?

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
You can't react to it, you just have to account for either outcome, and the best way to do that is to mash your string out it seems. I'm having a bit of a struggle getting people I know playing because of control issues like this, so it'd be nice if it was fixed.