What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

SPY

Noob
Additional testing: Still whiffs on big(Goro etc) and small(Mileena) characters. Tested it manualy in 2players mode - apparently it's not training mode bug. Probably NRS changed blockstun or cancel advantage of d4.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Indeed, it was never a powerslam tick. I believe D3 and D1 are the only power slam ticks (as well as the JIK ones)

FlappyDaniel

D4 into grab is very very good. It only whiffs at very specific distances and it is all very close to his max range. Unless it got changed with this patch slightly it should still definitely be something you use.

D4 into grab is very very good. It only whiffs at very specific distances and it is all very close to his max range. Unless it got changed with this patch slightly it should still definitely be something you use.
Yeah, it's max range that I had the problems, so I decided that as I was learning his OS timing, etc, I'd stick to D1. I'll integrate into my game soon, but I'm focusing on other stuff at the moment. I don't want to overload myself.

It's funny because I NEVER use D1 ticks. maybe just a playstyle thing.
Pros: It's a more comfortable OS timing
More hit advantage

Cons: Slower start up
Less range

(Obviously, grab negates negative block frames, and correct execution and spacing negates recovery frames. I know you know this, but somebody new to MKX might not, so I thought I'd add the caveat)

FlappyDaniel

I almost always sit right outside of max D4 range in neutral; so mostly just a playstyle thing between us I think. Ill look into trying it out a li'l more often.

I almost always sit right outside of max D4 range in neutral; so mostly just a playstyle thing between us I think. Ill look into trying it out a li'l more often.
When your opponent is doing a good job keeping you out of that range, what do you find are good methods to get back in. I've been experimenting with small runs canceled into crouch blocks instead if dashes and jump ins.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Against slide WU you can do d4 low parry. The d4 isn't really needed but adds some damage and helps you low profile other options they might have. Same works with d4 high parry but grab is generally better.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I'm working on the Scorpion match up (any inpwut would be nice since I FUCKING HATE IT GRAWR EVERYTHING WHIFFS AND HE PUNISHES STUFF FOR 40% INTO THROW RAWR). Haven't found a set up that works consistently midscreen but in the corner after a rib breaker you can meaty f4 df1.

* EX teleport will give you 22% and put them back in to the corner (knee plus parry).
* Any non-armored special will get knee'd into choke (15%)
* EX leg grab WILL catch you for 15%, but you will still deal 5% and the oki after it is meh (they might be able to jump out though.
* If they WU block you get 2,5% chip and some meter build and you're safe (-4) and can go for post choke "mixup"
* Delaying wakeup beats it but you shouldn't get punished hard for whiffing f4.

Now if only choke wasn't so fucking - on hit (come on make it +10 like Rib breaker. Please?)

I'm working on the Scorpion match up (any inpwut would be nice since I FUCKING HATE IT GRAWR EVERYTHING WHIFFS AND HE PUNISHES STUFF FOR 40% INTO THROW RAWR). Haven't found a set up that works consistently midscreen but in the corner after a rib breaker you can meaty f4 df1.

* EX teleport will give you 22% and put them back in to the corner (knee plus parry).
* Any non-armored special will get knee'd into choke (15%)
* EX leg grab WILL catch you for 15%, but you will still deal 5% and the oki after it is meh (they might be able to jump out though.
* If they WU block you get 2,5% chip and some meter build and you're safe (-4) and can go for post choke "mixup"
* Delaying wakeup beats it but you shouldn't get punished hard for whiffing f4.

Now if only choke wasn't so fucking - on hit (come on make it +10 like Rib breaker. Please?)
I actually have a 1v1 vs Scorpion session coming up (hopefully tonight) to try and figure this out myself. From what I've already worked out, Commando has the roughest time out of all the variations, due to having the shortest range (b2 and knives make Cyber the best, as you can play footsies at the edge of Scorp's slide range, throw knives, etc, and anti air/b2 punish whiffs, etc. Pre patch, Cutthroat was second due to high damage punishes on blocked teleports, etc, but that's arguably different now).

Run cancel Hellfire pressure isn't too bad, as you can parry or armour though gaps quite easily (ball cancel combo opportunity for those who can do them) and punish ground flames with air ball.

Ninjitsu, I think, is best played outside of his F2/slide range, baiting moves and whiff punishing. This might be easier now with 32-pop up, depending on what was blocked. Blocked teleport could be punished with 112-choke pre-patch for 20%, so if you have the meter, a 30% punish could be in order. Short runs into b13-ex knives after a whiff? Run into Command grab, then anti-wake up throw if you have the meter? (This might be a better use of meter after all). 112 can't really be used for pressure against a turtling opponent, so b31 and grabs might be better up close.

As for inferno, good luck. Maybe work in slowly and save your meter for 32 punishes and anti-wake up? Or breakers, which I find I have to use a lot as good infernos like to mix up their low demon/overhead kick into 30%+ combos.

I'll attempt to incorporate what you've found into my game and figure out some good training mode exercises to practice them.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I actually have a 1v1 vs Scorpion session coming up (hopefully tonight) to try and figure this out myself. From what I've already worked out, Commando has the roughest time out of all the variations, due to having the shortest range (b2 and knives make Cyber the best, as you can play footsies at the edge of Scorp's slide range, throw knives, etc, and anti air/b2 punish whiffs, etc. Pre patch, Cutthroat was second due to high damage punishes on blocked teleports, etc, but that's arguably different now).

Run cancel Hellfire pressure isn't too bad, as you can parry or armour though gaps quite easily (ball cancel combo opportunity for those who can do them) and punish ground flames with air ball.

Ninjitsu, I think, is best played outside of his F2/slide range, baiting moves and whiff punishing. This might be easier now with 32-pop up, depending on what was blocked. Blocked teleport could be punished with 112-choke pre-patch for 20%, so if you have the meter, a 30% punish could be in order. Short runs into b13-ex knives after a whiff? Run into Command grab, then anti-wake up throw if you have the meter? (This might be a better use of meter after all). 112 can't really be used for pressure against a turtling opponent, so b31 and grabs might be better up close.

As for inferno, good luck. Maybe work in slowly and save your meter for 32 punishes and anti-wake up? Or breakers, which I find I have to use a lot as good infernos like to mix up their low demon/overhead kick into 30%+ combos.

I'll attempt to incorporate what you've found into my game and figure out some good training mode exercises to practice them.
Inferno is without a doubt the easiest. Vs ninjutsu you can try to abuse the huge range of his normals to get free parries. Parry is risky vs HF cause they might go for the low and they you get full combo. Trying to figure out the best punishes but a tele or takedown can both be full combo with 32 into 32/33%. F4(?) into aura is a tight punish with 112 so choke or up ball is better. It has a gap but not worth spending the bar tbh

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I just love the zoom in and out effect with Rib Breaker.
Speaking of Rib Breaker.. wtf is wrong with the inputs for the grabs in this game? why is it that they only come out when the individual directional buttons are pressed? I half ass DB/DF motions all day and the moves always come out, but when I half ass DBF the grab never comes out. Like they're not already harder than DB/DF? Stupid NRS.

Inferno is without a doubt the easiest. Vs ninjutsu you can try to abuse the huge range of his normals to get free parries. Parry is risky vs HF cause they might go for the low and they you get full combo. Trying to figure out the best punishes but a tele or takedown can both be full combo with 32 into 32/33%. F4(?) into aura is a tight punish with 112 so choke or up ball is better. It has a gap but not worth spending the bar tbh
What about Inferno makes it the easiest? I'm not concerned about his zoning, I know how to prepare for that and how to work my way in. My biggest problem is being caught in his semi-vortex, where it's knock down/reset into demon/overhead. I don't know how to train against it, except for maybe learning the combos and doing them in a random order for as long as the record feature will allow (so I don't grow accustomed to the order) and hitting playback.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I just love the zoom in and out effect with Rib Breaker.
Speaking of Rib Breaker.. wtf is wrong with the inputs for the grabs in this game? why is it that they only come out when the individual directional buttons are pressed? I half ass DB/DF motions all day and the moves always come out, but when I half ass DBF the grab never comes out. Like they're not already harder than DB/DF? Stupid NRS.
Make sure you hit forward before 4 and it should come out

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
What about Inferno makes it the easiest? I'm not concerned about his zoning, I know how to prepare for that and how to work my way in. My biggest problem is being caught in his semi-vortex, where it's knock down/reset into demon/overhead. I don't know how to train against it, except for maybe learning the combos and doing them in a random order for as long as the record feature will allow (so I don't grow accustomed to the order) and hitting playback.
No run cancels no range. Don't get caught in pseudo mix up (low in to low demon)