What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

thlityoursloat

kick kick
My execution is pretty bad too, hence picking up Jax as a way of forcing myself to get better.

Actually now I think about it, I might have been practicing the OS's for closer to two months.
Why not just hit confirm? Or block confirm. There's a pretty large window to cancel into the grab so why not just do that?

Why not just hit confirm? Or block confirm. There's a pretty large window to cancel into the grab so why not just do that?
Because online that window is significantly smaller with input delay. As I said before, I practice both traditional ticks and OS's, but the OS is more useful online, so that's why I practice it.

Here's a pressure sequence I've been playing with. It is match up dependent, some forward advancing reversals can easily stuff the back dashes, but against Cassie's Getaway Flip the dashes are safe.

I've opted to start with b1 because it can't be neutral ducked, and won't whiff on crouch blocking females/ninjas.

The basic sequence is b13-d1 option select Rib Breaker-b13-choke-backdash

It can be modified in several ways based on hit or block.

Here are the ways.

1) b13 blocked

Do b13-back dash. Plenty of time to confirm this. Backdash is safe against non advancing reversals.

Damage- 1.5% (chip)

2) b13 hit, D1 blocked

Rib breaker comes out, grabbing opponent out of block. Against Cassie set to regular getaway flip, EX Rib Breaker required.

Damage- 22.5% regular, 25.5% EX

3) b13 hit, D1 hit, b13-choke blocked

Back dash after choke. Safe against non advancing reversals.

Damage- 10.75%

4)b13 hit, d1 hit, b13-choke hit

Final back dash not required. Leaves you at -5, thus ending the pressure sequence.

Damage- 24%

If the entire sequence is blocked-

5.75% chip damage, about 1/2 bar of meter.

It's not the most damaging pressure sequence, you're not going to chip somebody half to death with it like LK or Sorcerer Quan's Hex spell can, but it is relatively safe.

Of course, if you have meter, ending with EX Knives is a better option to end on, setting you up for a grab/b312 mix up.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Something fun yall can try out if cassie does b12 you can punish with ex cmnd grab whether she baits you with the 4 or not. She might only get out with doing flip since it wont reversal until after she has fliped. You could prolly do regular cmnd if she doesnt push buttons after b12 but ex beats her 4 and her stopping short

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I'm going to finally get love for playing commando since launch.... A pop up combo extender is already SO much more then I expected him to get. Anything else (other then bug/whiff fixes) is absolutely gravy.

FlappyDaniel

You think they're going to nerf his grabs to compensate for the popup? (unless I'm being stupid; they're unblockable now, which is better then being OH or Low yes?)

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You think they're going to nerf his grabs to compensate for the popup? (unless I'm being stupid; they're unblockable now, which is better then being OH or Low yes?)
Compensate? Commando isn't that good that it'd need compensation for being buffed. The popup increases his damage but it doesn't make his mixup game better. Although as I'm typing this I realise his damage will be increased and so the necessity of such damaging grabs is lessened... Hopefully they don't because I don't think it's necessary to be honest but if they do then so be it.

FlappyDaniel

Compensate? Commando isn't that good that it'd need compensation for being buffed. The popup increases his damage but it doesn't make his mixup game better. Although as I'm typing this I realise his damage will be increased and so the necessity of such damaging grabs is lessened... Hopefully they don't because I don't think it's necessary to be honest but if they do then so be it.
I don't think they should either, I was just trying to decipher your meaning behind saying they'll change them to OH/Low instead of just leaving them unblockable.

also, Jaquio, you wouldn't use it to punish in most situations. You would use it as an extender. 112 and B13 (canceled into whatever ender) would still be goto punishes. Could use 32 as oki and hitconfirm into the launch as well.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't think they should either, I was just trying to decipher your meaning behind saying they'll change them to OH/Low instead of just leaving them unblockable.
Ah ok, there was no meaning I was just messing around lol.

also, Jaquio, you wouldn't use it to punish in most situations. You would use it as an extender. 112 and B13 (canceled into whatever ender) would still be goto punishes. Could use 32 as oki and hitconfirm into the launch as well.
Right, but 321+3MB being the popup would mean that you either have to throw out raw 32's to fish for the popup (which again, 3 isn't the best normal), or use 2 bars for any significant combos by confirming a better string into MB ball and then going for 321+3MB.

So, all I'm saying is that I hope they convert something like MB Choke into the popup instead, because the applications for it would be far more practical and effective.

I've been dreaming about a pop up for a while now. And an overhead. And increased damage on his command grabs. And being able to tick from more strings.

I feel I'm probably going to carry on dreaming after the patch too...

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I've been dreaming about a pop up for a while now. And an overhead. And increased damage on his command grabs. And being able to tick from more strings.

I feel I'm probably going to carry on dreaming after the patch too...
I doubt the pop up wilp be overhead but the command grabs should do like 2% more imo

I doubt the pop up wilp be overhead but the command grabs should do like 2% more imo
20% per grab will negate the need of an overhead. I want the pop up to be off of a useful starter so we can punish with it. 32 will have some obvious corner application, seeing as it has heavy use already.

That said, seeing as Commando gets 40% meterless at the moment, I wonder how much he can get now? I hope we can break 50% without insane execution needed. Wrestler Jax level difficulty would be great!