What's new

Choosing a main guide by wearenotbrother (work in progess.)

Well I can't think of anyone that really plays like T.Hawk...

Private Eyeballl said:
I'm not a flashy combo guy, I like to land a few shots, and back off, or score a knockdown and try to make them guess what I'll do when they wake up.
Based on this though I'd say...

If you like zoning and counter-zoning: Kano, Sindel, Shang Tsung, Sektor, Cyrax, Sub-Zero, Stryker.

If you you prefer mid-range and counter / footsies: Nightwolf, Jax, Baraka, Mileena, Sheeva.

Choosing a main..

So you want to choose a main first things first ill tell you what it means to have a main.

A main is your choosen fighter you choose to play constant you aim to get good with them to get there combo's to perfection for your style of play.

Mainly when your choosen a main you have to keep these 3 rules in mind.

1.Does this character fit my gameplay?
2.Can i see myself sticking to this character even when im having a bad day.
3.Is the characters moves/combos easy enough for me to do on command.

Some people may play two mains which will most likely include a Rushdown style character and a Zoning character.

Ok so you have it in your head a few possible mains now for the hard part you need to go into the practice mode choose your first main candidate look at his moves and combos and start practicing do this for all your choices and when you feel decent with one of the candidates makes sure your happy with the choice you've made then try going through arcade in a difficulty that suits your level of skill dont give up if your struggling with the character as it may takes months to get great with that character but once you do you will be playing your main alot of the time but its also key to having a secondary for when you feel under par with your main

Furthering progression with your main

The best way to get real good with your character(s) is by playing real people like your friends offline/online and by visiting a fighting scene in your local area remember most of the time the computer controlled opppenents are easier than a real person with real tactics so dont be betting money if u can win on expert against a real life player if hes the same skill as expert cpu he will probally hammer you because he can think and move by himself.

(unrelated note im saving this guide after each bit incase my pc crashs so expect alot more detail to be added.)

My possible main candidates.

Noob-Saibot.
Cyber Sub-Zero
Cyrax
I like what your doing with this Keep up the good work. A lot of people can use this information...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not sure really. But maybe the enhanced version of the hellfire might work.

On topic. Good read. I used to main scorp back in mkdc cause he was overall good to me. Spear, teleport, hellfire and inner fire. That's what I look for. Someone who has it all. And of course, someone who I can perform combos with. From what I've seen so far, I like smoke, kung lao as my top two. But who knows, it might change next week lol.
Yep, at the end of certain combos his enhanced hell fire is guaranteed :) His normal one can be escaped though I've noticed.

But at any rate, my official mains are

Ermac
Scorpion
Sektor
Smoke(newer)
Kabal(newer)

I plan on picking up Kenshi for sure and if by any chance Fujin makes it, he's definite! MAYBE, MAYBE Rain...not sure though it depends how he plays.

wolfe

Noob
Interesting read. its been a long time since ive played a fighting game at any reasonable level.

i remember in DoA on xbox360 (i think it was 360, maybe it was reg xbox been a while) i played the drunken boxer dude that had a crap ton of moves in his movelist cuz he could attack behind himself. liked him a lot.

i also played the big russian in that game with all the grapples, tho grappling in that game is WAY different than the throws in this one.

in SC4 i played ivy a lot, and some of sigfreid.

ive always played more rpg/action rpg's tho, so in that sense i always enjoyed the "spell breaker" or a melee style fighter that excels at destroying/getting around magical enemies.

as far as aesthetics im drawn to noob saibot, kano, cyber sub zero, reptile, ermac, maybe kabal. chars whose aesthetics i HATE are raiden, kung lao, lui kang, johnny cage, jax, kitana, jade. i do like how sektor moves but i dont like his missiles all that much.

id like to be somewhat well rounded tho and pick chars that at least somewhat compliment eachother.

i main sektor and reptile

my subs are noob and nightwolf

im learning cyrax

if you question alot of sektor players on here they will say that they also main reptile..theres at least 5 of us lol. For some reason theres some corrolation betweeen reptile and sektor lol

i rushdown and zone with all 4 of my characters as they all have a good zone/rush game. I think it works like this, if you have a great zoning game you can mindfuck your opponent and rush the fuck outta the them whilst they dont expect it.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I main Sub-Zero. I used to main Smoke and Sektor at a point. I really had no idea who to main when I got the game. I loved the look of Reptile, the look of noob and the look of Smoke but had no idea how they would play. Basically I was liking stories, looks but had no idea on playstyle.

I picked up Smoke first I guess because he was relatively easy to pick up. Had a teleport which was nice, a smoke bomb which people did not know how to block and all was well for my first 50 or so matches. People of course started to learn and so I got off smoke for a while.

I tried Quan Chi. His sky drop was great and he was quite easy to use. But people learned to punish the sky drop after some time and I dropped him.

Then I went to Kabal. He had a low projectile which people could not get past, I basically zoned with him for a while. I was very pround of the 23% combo I could do which was back 1,2,1 nomad dash, 2,1,2. I rarely pulled it off in online matches, but when I did i felt like the bees knees. Mostly I just did nomad dash, back 1,2,1 and jump kick for 16%.

I then went to Sub Zero. I learned his string back 1,2,1 and it was 20%! Holy crap i thought. Such high damage from a single combo!. Played him for a while but noob zoners really got me down so I quit him.

Went back to smoke and kept on using the 3,2 attack and it was really successful for a while. But again, I kept using teleport and got punished so I tried another character.

I then went to use Noob. He was popular, cool and easy to use. I also learned the back 1,2,1,4 string and I felt really proud because that was very tricky for me at the time. But crucially I learned the most important thing from Noob. Cancelling into a special. I don't know why it happened with noob but I learned that you could do only a part of a combo like back 1,2,1 and use a special. It was not what noob should do but it taught me a good mechanic of the game. So I succeeded for a while.

I then moved on to Sub Zero again. I used his 222 all the time as it had an overhead. I would get people trapped in the corner and kept using it as it hit them even if they were lying on the ground. I guess they were blocking low or not at all. I also used the 22 into iceball and the back 1,2,1. Very happy times.

A particlar match against a cyrax player then changed my main again. He was using the bomb trap, very powerful stuff at the time and my constant sliding got me netted. So I learned the bomb trap, after many hours in the lab and I had many victories with Cyrax.

However, my strategy was this: Get them in a net. I had no other objective. So I started losing. I then moved back to smoke and after watching a few youtube videos learning his juggle which gave me high 20 and low 30% combos. Good times were had.

But again I was losing for some reason and I decided to start maining a character from random who looked cool and had tools. I chose sektor for some reason and he proved good. His teleport uppercut into uppercut was effective. But not enough, I learned the teleport uppercut into back 2,1 and then later jump kick, teleport uppercut back 2,1. Got a few hundred games with this guy. Great stuff.

But I never used ex teleport uppercuts and got punished. So I started using liu kang. He had very easy juggles and his 2,1,3 was simple, effective and easy on the hands. Won around a hundred matches before the lack of armor got me zoned.

I then had a crisis. I was really stuck. I had no main, I had on and off mains but nobody to call home. Then I learned Sub-Zero's bread and butter. 214 slide. It was so simple, so effective, so damaging and so easy to pull off. I also found out about safe strings and stopped randomly sliding and using 222. I now used 224, 212, and 214 each with a clone after. I had trouble with zoners. And I HATE zoners but Dash blocking , a new concept to me then helped me. I have been maining him ever since and he is the only character I have mastered in the Nekropolis. Have probably 1000 wins with him there or more.

Theme

Noob
My mains are reptile and smoke. Invisibile assassins.
As with Lyuben, I played around with different characters. I dont really have a main main yet. I started to play everyone at random, since I memorized their specials by heart and most of their fatalities. During the demo, I stuck with Sub Zero, since he was fun to use and I was decent with him. After the game came out, I started to expand. I used Noob, NightWolf, Liu Kang, Sektor, etc. I can play everyone semi-decently.

Now, I play mostly Raiden, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, Ermac, and Smoke. I have no real main except maybe Liu Kang, since I use him most and I have the msot fun with him.

Justice

Noob
Well I can't think of anyone that really plays like T.Hawk...

Based on this though I'd say...

If you like zoning and counter-zoning: Kano, Sindel, Shang Tsung, Sektor, Cyrax, Sub-Zero, Stryker.

If you you prefer mid-range and counter / footsies: Nightwolf, Jax, Baraka, Mileena, Sheeva.
It's been a long time since I've used T. Hawk but Nightwolf I think has some similar elements, not to mention the whole North American Indian vibe goin on.

Yeah, that's one thing MK has never had: a big, brutish brawler/wrestler type. It's been more about the oriental martial arts than snap/crackle/pop :D

I chose Sonya because I like her in-your-face pressure game. I'm subbing Kitana for sure and not sure about a second. I can't decide between Jade, Mileena or Sheeva.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Cool stuff. Picked up MK9 around launch and I figure its time to get as serious as I can without a fighting game community nearby. I'm one of those guys who got into the genre because of SF4 in 2009. I've taken a liking to heavy hitters with powerful normals (like T. Hawk in SSF4). I'm not a flashy combo guy, I like to land a few shots, and back off, or score a knockdown and try to make them guess what I'll do when they wake up. I tried Jax but I just didn't click with him. Sheeva was cool, but too immobile for my tastes. Any ideas?
Definitely Kano. He's about as far from a kombo-oriented character as you can get. Almost all of his damage comes from short bursts of offense. He's also very versatile, able to zone or rushdown as the match calls for it. I highly recommend trying him out.

My main that I chose during the story mode is cyber sub zero. I told my friend I like the way he plays, his move set. So he's my rushdown main, my zoning main is Ermac. Arguably I am better with Ermac right now but I told people I'm sticking with Cyber Sub and I don't want my friend to be right when he says "you'll drop him, he's shit tier". Anyway good read.
The best part about being good with a shit tier character is that nobody takes you seriously, and when you start mopping up, you'll have yourself a nice little legion of fans to keep you going.

But yeah, there's been a lot of good info in this thread. I'm just now breaking into the competitive MK scene, and I've never really considered competitive gaming up until MK9. That said, I'm going straight into learning my childhood favorite: Kabal. And of course, finding I'm in over my head on multiple counts.

I also really like Stryker, and I'm learning his way of doing things, too. Subby and Scorpion seem like staple characters, and it makes me want to spend some time with them, too.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
I always go for a character I like because i'd be more encouraged to progress and get better with the character than a dull "high tier" character. I never cared about play style or any of that, just the characters and what i'll be willing to work with based on the character I have chosen. I'll never get better and end up getting bored of the game easily if I were to keep winning or losing with a character I don't like, don't care about, or hate. I rather lose and keep learning with a character I enjoy playing as.

That's pretty much how I always played in all FGs in general.

I want a character that I can play rather defensively, who can punish rather reliably.
Not necessarily a combo character, just one with a better defense than most.
Zoning isn't really my thing, so relying on it isn't a good thing for me either.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I want a character that I can play rather defensively, who can punish rather reliably.
Not necessarily a combo character, just one with a better defense than most.
Zoning isn't really my thing, so relying on it isn't a good thing for me either.
I'd go with Raiden. Counters zoning with Teleport, and can punish with Torpedo. He also has some really easy, yet somewhat weak frame traps and combos.

Either that or Stryker with his 8-frame Roundhouse.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a new alt: preferably someone who will help against more difficult matchups for Scorpion.