What's new

Character loyalty vs character playstyle

volkmair

Noob
As a big fan of Lex Luthor and his power armour I've been wanting to use him since he was announced, however I'm finding his knockdown/setup playstyle isn't really working for me as I generally play very aggressively.
Should I stick with Lex and try to make him work for me or would I be better of sucking it up, having Lex for fun and casuals, and try to find a character goes with how I play more?

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I'm all for character loyalty. I would say stick with it, but only as long as you have fun playing.

Nightwing is my favorite DC hero, so just like you I've had a main since before release. I will stick with NW as my main forever, no matter the matchup.
This would be a fun poll thread btw.

GreatRa0

Noob
Meh I'm a massive superman fan but I main green lantern, but I went in with the idea I'd main Supes. Supes is my #2 after Lantren though. I say play who you like to play as. The game should be fun.

I think you should try to make him work for you. People get so wrapped up in how characters are "supposed to be played" but you have to find your own niche and your own style with characters or else you will be figured out so easily.

arydious

Noob
NO matter who your a fan of you got to play someone that just flows with you. I have always loved flash and I am sure ill pick him up and really get decent with him but at the moment Harley has been my quirk.

I toy around with everyone till I really find someones move sets etc that just work with me.

Another example I love LUi Kang and Scorpion in MK, but I mained smoke in mk9.

I am not saying don't respect the character but, just cause your a fan of him doesn't mean you are obligated to play as him

I always find a character that works very well with my playstyle, whether I like them as a character or not. Playing as a character that matches my style well is always really fun and that makes them end up growing on me and becoming my favorite character. I loved Lex coming in, and I actually really like his playstyle, but I like Sinestro's playstyle more and I consider him my main. I did not like him at all at first but now he's definitely my favorite dc character just because we've "been through so much together<3" haha

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I started off with Green Lantern, stuck with him for a while but I knew even though I would inevitably get better with him, his playstyle just wasn't right for me, so I started trying others and Supes was the one who stuck. I had no idea previously I would end up playing Superman.

I don't recommend switching due to losing or whatever, I just suggest trying other things if you're not happy with your character's playstyle/don't feel it's for you. That's no bad thing.

Malec

Noob
dont play a character you dont like, because he has the name lex and the lex skin pixels on the screen. you have to have fun playing your character and feel comfortable with.
i was most exited for black adam pre release, with his evil dictator style and his bomb setup potential. post release i realy didnt like him that much and lex was the char with the heavy setup based playstyle for me.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
I wanted to main Arrow, but I'm not much into his gameplay, so I main Aquaman cuz he's cheap as hell. :D I like Aquaman as a character too, but Green Arrow is waaay cooler.
Oh and Aquaman suits me better in terms of gameplay

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
I'd stick with Lex and find a way to adapt his moves to your aggresive playstyle. It takes so much time to master a character in order to be competitive and it helps to control a character you care about. I'd recommend you look into other characters to main in addition to Lex to complement your playstyle.

Justice

Noob
Character loyalty does not mean forcing yourself into a losing situation. Sticking with a character through bad matchups is loyalty. Sticking with a character when you're not really gelling is tournament suicide. If that's not a consideration then play whoever you want :D

That's the hard thing with these games: being able to take a hard look at yourself and say "This character isn't really me".

I honestly do not comprehend why you would want to be a character whose playstyle you don't like.

People above me are saying "yeah loyalty 4 sure" and I'm all like "wut?"

I guess it depends on why you play the game. If you play the game to be your favorite character from the comics cause you think they are cool, and don't care about winning or losing, then yeah sure, stay with the character you think is cool.

You chose lex before the game even came out, before you ever tried playing him, before you tried any of the other characters.... I don't want to insult you, but that's just not a smart way to make a decision. You should play everyone, see who fits your style best, and then play as them. That is, if you are choosing a character based on GAMEPLAY reasons, and not FLUFF reasons.

But I mean, I guess not everyone plays for gameplay reasons, some people are into the character's background.

It's still early and people are finding new things. It's not good to just give up on a character you may want to play because you may find something nobody has seen before. If you like Lex just stick with it until you think it doesn't work anymore. Not saying you shouldn't also try other characters but you should just keep testing things with Lex.

If you don't like Lex then don't play him.

As far as aggressive, I don't know what you mean because Lex is pretty damn aggressive.

This is a no-brainer: simply play the characters you enjoy using the most. People typically get the most enjoyment out of a game when they win a lot, you might not. Use the characters you like aestheically as a jumping-off point and just let it take you from there.

I mean, I main Wonder Woman. I really don't give two shits about Wonder Woman aesthetically. She's a female Superman with an invisible plane and what is clearly a golden whip that also functions as a lasso. And have you seen her neck? Flashpoint costume does well to hide the curves. I just enjoy her combo game and H/L mixups. I tried out Grundy-my planned main- and just wasn't feeling it. But I'll always have him as a sub.

Edit: spelling.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
It all depends on what type of player you are. If you play tournaments, you play the char that suits your style, no matter what tier, and gives you the best chance to win. You are playing for money after all (most of the time)

If you are a casual player, play whoever you like no matter what and be "loyal".

If you play online and winning is very important to you but don't enter tournaments, see number 1

Bi-on-iC

I'm innocent, I mean..not guilty.
My problem is that I always stick to character loyalty and they always turn out to be shit tier.

GotOverThere

Alien Life Form
I'm never going to go to a tournament, and the vast majority of my playtime is local multiplayer (though I am also still working through STAR Labs), so I usually just pick whoever I feel like playing.

None of my friends and I have really learned any specific characters yet, so we're still in the phase where it's no problem to just pause the game at the start of a match to check the movesets real quick.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
I agree with the guys who say loyalty for the sake of loyalty is detrimental to having fun. The way I pick my characters is, I pick the character that I enjoy a lot while being the best at my playstyle (rushdown, mix-ups) - I have started games with certain characters and ended up using a character I never anticipated maining.

Besides, we're what, week 3? It's not as if you've put hundreds of hours into Lex and realize the flaws are just too much but have far too much commitment to him. Use whoever you want, but make sure it's for your own reasons (winning, having fun, training, whatever) rather than static loyalty.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
My problem is that my main is my loyalty guy, and my playstyle guy but... hes low tier and has horrendous match ups. That sucks.

LEGEND

YES!
As a big fan of Lex Luthor and his power armour I've been wanting to use him since he was announced, however I'm finding his knockdown/setup playstyle isn't really working for me as I generally play very aggressively.
Should I stick with Lex and try to make him work for me or would I be better of sucking it up, having Lex for fun and casuals, and try to find a character goes with how I play more?
you have to go with what works the best for your playstyle if you are taking the game seriously. I was in the same boat with lex but the demo showed me that he doesn't fit my playstyle at all, so now he is an off and on character project that i use for fun.

that is unless you don't like any other characters, in which case its best to stick with em

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I always stick with character loyalty. You will learn him. If you don't like using him you should just find a back up. I know you like more than just Lex. :16Bit

volkmair

Noob
For the moment I think I'll stick with Lex and play around with the other characters on the side, as people have said the game is new to learn and I may well have a breakthrough on either front.