What's new

Character crisis... help?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Evo was the last time I really played MK9. I basically figured that I was too busy with life to keep up, but because of how awesome this community is and how goddamn fun this game is, I'm going to give it another shot.

I feel like I'm in a mini character crisis. I've always loved and mained Ermac since the first week the game came out - something about his style just makes sense to me. I love zoning; I play Guile in SF4 because I love the "passive aggressive" style... the sonic booms are fast to come out, annoying, and open up his poking and anti-air game. But no one in MK9 really operates the same way because of the game engine, and now I'm wondering if I should stay with Ermac or not.

As I prepare to give this game another shot, I'm debating switching characters. The other characters I enjoy playing are Noob, Stryker, Subzero, and Kano. I don't like Kenshi or Freddy.

Is it worth switching to maybe someone like Noob if I enjoy zoning? Or should I just pick Ermac back up, since I already have a bunch of experience and instincts developed with him, and enjoy playing with him?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
The other characters I enjoy playing are Noob, Stryker, Subzero, and Kano.
Out of that list, I would say either Noob or Sub-Zero. Noob is way more of a zoner than Subby Z, though. So if that's what you're looking for, I'd say Noob.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Out of that list, I would say either Noob or Sub-Zero. Noob is way more of a zoner than Subby Z, though. So if that's what you're looking for, I'd say Noob.
Yeah... I've thought about doing Sub, but honestly, he's such a zoner that he just like... retreats hahaha. I think its almost TOO turtle-y for my style.

Vagrant

Noob
Go with Rain actually bro. The playstyle isn't that drastically different from Ermacs.

Edit: Nvm I thought you were looking for a playstyle similar to Ermac I didn't realize you wanted to zone.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
The only time you should really be using ice ball is either if you're looking for it to trade or you're using it as part of a hit string that you already have going.

Espio

Kokomo
You could play two characters, if you want instead of just one :).

Keep Ermac if you enjoy him and then pick up one of the four-five you're interested in playing on the side whether it be Noob, Stryker, Kano or Sub-Zero or if you want to main them and secondary Ermac or vice versa.

That's probably the easiest thing I'd say.

It lets you keep a character you really like, Ermac and allows you to explore another character you're interested in trying :).

That's actually what I did when I picked up my mains, knowing two characters well isn't too daunting in my opinion.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Skkra you should try out Reptile. He has solid zoning, and can get in behind forceballs ala Guile sonic booms.