What's new

Character Constructive Criticisms

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I posted this here because it doesn't pertain to any one specific character. It covers the majority of the ones revealed and I didn't wanna make a bunch of different threads for this topic in each of the character forums on this site so bear with me please.

I got this idea from Casselman on the MKO forums and thought what better place for everyone to voice their opinions on the characters than TYM! Okay lets get started.

I would like for this thread to be a what you like and dislike about each character in the five exact areas specified by Casselman.

-String Kombos
-Special Moves
-X-Rays
-Super Meter (how they should build up for each character).

Since we know NRS is listening and they even gave a shout out to our very own CHECK. I thought this would be a great time for us to get out some of our opinions on the characters.

NOTE: You don't have to do one for every character like I have below, if you don't wanna do that many in one post you can always come back later and make another post with additional characters.

Okay enough jabbering. Once again I'd like to thank Casselman (MKO forums) for this wonderful thread Idea.

Lets begin. (quoting my post straight from the MKO forum.)

Scorpion
=========

String Kombos
---------------------
The flame trails during combos is a great addition. Don't change it. Love what I'm seeing. It's all trademark Scorpion style with teleport air combos. Fits him well mk team. Don't change that at all. The sword pop up does however seem a little bit slow. Perhaps you could speed it up slightly.

Special moves
------------------------
I only have 2 issues with his special moves really. Number 1 being his spear animation. As the Kunai hits the opponent it seperates from the chain and magically reattaches as Scorpion pulls the victim in. It shouldn't seperate. Also the backflip kick in the combo video bugged me. It made me hopeful that the Hellfire backflip was in the game, but it just looks like a combo ender. Could we get a confirmation on whether it is a special attack or not?
X-Rays
------------
It's pretty generic if you ask me. He's a Spectre controls flame and has so many unique special abilities. This X-ray could be given to absolutely anyone. I don't mind the punch at the start, but after the punch we need the inclusion of a special move. If he doesn't actually have his hellfire backflip kick. It should definitely be used as a facebreaking attack during his X-ray.

Special Meters
--------------------
He's quick and dangerous. I'd like for him to build meter from offensive combos. Nothing from defense. A slight amount on his special moves connecting, and a slight amount on just single attacks. Comboing should give him meter.

Fatalities
----------------
Scrap the 1st one. I like the 2nd one better, and please give him his toasty or a different fatality including his spear. Both of his current fatalities could literally be given too Baraka.

SubZero
=========

String Kombos
----------------------
Looks absolutely amazing. l love his quick freeze attacks during his combos and the use of his Kori Blade. I have nothing I dislike about his combos

Special moves
-----------------------
2 issues here. I have concerns with the very small hit area for his ground freeze attack. Not to mention how slowly the move forms. This should be addressed if possible. I love his Icy Counter, but if he doesn't already have it give him the Ice Clone as well. Also have it be performable in air. I love that he can use his abilities to trap the characters. Great job with him. I being a Subby fan boy am very pleased with this.

X-Rays
-----------
The initiation is a bit sketchy. Jumping opponents should be hit with it if the spike goes high enough. Otherwise a well timed dash should be able too avoid it. I love the X-ray itself however. Sensational job guys.

Special Meters
------------------------
I think he should build with a balance of all the attacks. More so on block and special attacks, but small increment increases with combos and normal attacks.

Fatalities
----------------
Definitely keep his torso rip fatality. I don't mind the teased one being included either. I'm definitely in favor of it as long as you at least have his classic spine rip in a classic fatality dlc pack or something.

Reptile
=======

String Kombos
----------------------
Looks like a skill based fighter and I look forward to taming him. His combos are beast and look challenging too perform. Nothing really bad to say about this section except have him stop getting his ass kicked in videos so we can actually witness his combo prowess better.

Special moves
-----------------------
Completely satisfied with this section :D

X-Rays
------------
Keep the eye poke and the neck snap.. Drop the shitty kick please and give him an acid attack at the end. Where you can see the acid melt some skin.

Special Meters
-----------------------
Casselman said it best. Keep him very evenly balanced with his meter building unless he's invisible. Then it should build faster considering his invisibility is easy for the opponent to break

Fatalities
-----------------
The one we've seen seems is pretty cool. A few tweaks and it'll be amazing. His 2nd one needs to be his acid melt fatality where he then bites off the skull and eats it. Have him rub his tummy again for nostalgia purposes

Mileena
=======

String Kombos
----------------------
I'm not a big Mileena fan so I can't really write much about her. Once again though, I'm satisfied with the combos I've seen from. Definitely feels like Mileena.

Special moves
----------------------
I want one special move to change. The roll. Its a somersault, it doesn't need pink energy flowing around it lol.

X-Rays
------------
Isn't really that good. After seeing her attack where she jumps on your neck and repeated stabs you with sai's. A few Sai neck stabs should be shown instead of this bland generic X-ray. Can't really think of a proper one for her though so I'd rather this one stay.

Special Meters
--------------------
Have her build offensively and with special moves.

Fatalities
----------------
Fits her, but the 2nd one which i've seen brief clips of appears to be an exact copy of Kira's fatality in Deception. Change please.

Sektor
=======

String Kombos
------------------------
Fairly satisfied with his combos so far.

Special moves
-------------------------
The upward missle and flamethrower as mentioned definitely look like a waste of space right now. Can't really combo with the Upmissle, or use it as a combo ender. The flamethrower is just plain slow.

X-Rays
------------
Perfect-o :)

Special Meters
------------------------
I think he should build normally. Just a little more on the offensive side then defensive.
Fatalities
---------------------------
It's definitely interesting, but all in all it just doesn't do anything for me. I'd like his trash compactor to return though.

Johnny Cage
============

String Kombos
-----------------------
His combos look simple with the FP FP attack as the combo opener. Maybe he'll be more useful for people that are less skilled at the game, however the starter needs a little bit more diversity. maybe have it FP BP and that's an easy change.

Special moves
-----------------------
Don't really have any complaints here.

X-Rays
------------
Appears to be a counter X-ray, and can definitely punish an aggressive opponent. It looks like a Johnny Cage move too. Keep it. Nut punch ahoy!

Special Meters
-----------------------
Keep him as a normal fighter would build up. Not have one thing influence his building more.

Fatalities
--------------
The only thing I want is for the currently revealed one to have the 3 head uppercut as an homage too mk1.

Kung Lao
=========

String Kombos
------------------------
Reminds me of the good ol' days. Perfect.

Special moves
-----------------------
Also looks really really good. Keep it up NRS

X-Rays
-------------
Loving it.. The back chop at the end is fucking EPIC! Considering I have back problems in real life lol it hurts me even more. Fantastico.

Special Meters
------------------------
Special moves and combos should build him up the most. Defense and single attacks should build slowly.

Fatalities
-----------------
Love both of them.

Nightwolf
=========

String Kombos
Looks powerful and his combos look great.

Special moves
------------------------
Special moves fit really well and I honestly have no complaints at all.

X-Rays
-------------
The tomahawk is perfect, but the kick afterwards is boring. Spice it up guys.

Special Meters
-----------------------
I think he should be even across all points. Have nothing influence build up more then the other things would.

Fatalities
----------------
LOVE the tomahawk fatality. Curious as to what his 2nd one is. Hopefully I get to wait till the game is out b4 I see it.

Kitana
=======

String Kombos
-----------------------
Crazy combos. Including her fans in them was a damn fine choice.

Special moves
I think the air dash needs some work.

X-Rays
-------------
To early to comment on...

Special Meters
-----------------------
Considering her combo strings, that should be the meter builder right there.

Fatalities
-----------------
Straight to the point. Greatness. Avoid Kiss of death fatalities.. I fucking hate those. Every female fighter should not have one. If anyone needs one its Sonya. That's it.

Cyrax
=======

String Kombos
He looks fucking beast. Absolutely love them.

Special moves
-----------------------
Once again Absolutely love them. Especially his quirky Saw blade.

X-Rays
-----------
THIS IS MY FAVORITE X-RAY OUT OF THEM ALL

Special Meters
------------------------
I would say defense, but he's quick. Definitely someone that you wanna be aggressive with. Offensive build.

Fatalities
---------------
His hand saw is boring, His net fatality needs the opponent to fall into little net shaped cubes. He doesn't fall apart realistically and it bugs the fuck out of me.

Jax
====

String Kombos
------------------------
Definitely a powerhouse. LOVE LOVE LOVE his ground based combos and grapple mentality.

Special moves
-----------------------
Looking great here as long as the gun on his back is purely cosmetic it'll be a perfect homage to his past self.

X-Rays
------------
Love it. Don't change this

Special Meters
------------------------
Grapples and combo offense should fuel it as well as a defense. Special moves should build the least (unless grab based).

Fatalities
------------
If he indeed crushes the head before ripping the arms off, an easy fix is to just have him rip the arms off immediately and quickly after the head clap. Then raise both severed arms in his victory pose. lol.

Closing
==========================================
All in all, great great job MK Team, your definitely on your way to getting us the long awaited game we've been craving since umk3. Please if you want a sensational fighting engine and avoid infinites. Fly CHECK out and have him personally test your game! Thanks mk team. Keep it up.

End Quote. (Didn't feel like putting quote tags lol)

-

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
OMGoodness! Nice thread! And nice CHECK mentions. :)

The only thing Im going to comment on right now is the X-RAYs:
Cyrax I rate 9/10 just because its the most unique so far.
Mileenas I rate 3/10 just because its plain and disappointing.
Sektors I rate 8/10 because its not AS good as Cyraxs but its still very brutal.
Reptiles I rate 8/10 because it comes with three devastating blows but like BecomingDeath said... putting an Acid Spit would make his x-ray a 10/10.
Scorpions I rate 7/10 because it may be kinda plain... we're talking Scorpion here and I think his x-ray fits him well on the "brutal" level.

More to come