What's new

Button Mashers

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Few things piss me off more in a fighting game than when you put in a bunch of time into developing basic fundamentals, learning the mechanics of the characters within the game, and then you get matched up against a n00b button-masher who beats you anyway. So my question to you guys is this...

What current or old school fighting games do you guys consider the most button-masher friendly?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Smush, SC/Tekken/VF (not to be good at it, but ive seen far too many mashers have some success) & other 3D fighters

I would say tekken or soul cal because of how many different defensive options you would need to know in order to react to a completely random set of attacks. Its a problem with most 3d fighters that learning defense is way harder than offence

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I would say tekken or soul cal because of how many different defensive options you would need to know in order to react to a completely random set of attacks. Its a problem with most 3d fighters that learning defense is way harder than offence
I haven't played any of the 3d MK's, but do you think that was a contributing factor as to why they were never really successful?

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
Tekken was really button-mash friendly I won so many matches in that not even knowing 1 combo for anyone. I don't really get the Injustice problem though cause I don't see a good player getting beat by button mashers in this game the execution seems to tight. Now some ppl seem to be calling others button mashers for no reason. I know my Doomsday combos and setups but I won a KotH last night and 3 ppl in the room started in on me saying I was a button masher even though I havn't been a button masher since I was a little kid playing Tekken. Just my opinion though so w/e.

Komatose

The Prettiest
Tekken was really button-mash friendly I won so many matches in that not even knowing 1 combo for anyone. I don't really get the Injustice problem though cause I don't see a good player getting beat by button mashers in this game the execution seems to tight. Now some ppl seem to be calling others button mashers for no reason. I know my Doomsday combos and setups but I won a KotH last night and 3 ppl in the room started in on me saying I was a button masher even though I havn't been a button masher since I was a little kid playing Tekken. Just my opinion though so w/e.
Same...

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Few things piss me off more in a fighting game than when you put in a bunch of time into developing basic fundamentals, learning the mechanics of the characters within the game, and then you get matched up against a n00b button-masher who beats you anyway. So my question to you guys is this...

What current or old school fighting games do you guys consider the most button-masher friendly?
Soul Calibur. I took part 2 very competitive and went to arcades that were left in Times Square NYC. i would destroy most people with my Ivy only to see a button mashers who had no fundamentals win at times. It use to piss me off honestly lol. LBSH it still annoys me lol
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MKB
I haven't played any of the 3d MK's, but do you think that was a contributing factor as to why they were never really successful?
na, tbh I don't think there the best games, Thats the responce I get alot
but I think its a mix of things, like Internet being in a different Era without youtube or the idea of live streaming was so far away
the word of how to play that game well was not easy to find.
when i was a kid the attack strings was the only combos I was aware of, so I can see new players just tapping the buttons and only getting only a single attack for 3 seconds worth of mashing and just not have as much fun with it.
If I remember, Defensive play wasn't hard in 3d MKs. Thos I heard only being able to jump forward and backwards in Deception made some problems.
plus Midway wasn't really making games for competitive at the time ( least I don't think,, probly wrong ) just for the cool experience

I'm a button masher and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

That being said, even fighting games that generally aren't button mashers have at least one or two fighters where you can just press random buttons and still kick butt without knowing what you are doing. Kenshi and Kun Lo make me look good when really I am a shitty player. Like wise Catwoman I only needed to memorize some basic special attacks so I don't pull off her dodge move by accident when on the offense, for the most part I just mix up her attacks randomly and hope for the best..

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
The 3D MKs weren't even remotely masher-friendly, at all. You'd get wrecked playing a good player trying to mash and shit.
yeah Brady double flawlessed me like it was nothing in MKDA when we played at NEC... I was mashing lmfao

Reptile Orion

A Fire Will Rise.
Yeah I'd agree with this. Whenever I play Tekken and I see the opponent pick Eddy or Christie, I know 99% of the time that shenanigans are about to take place. If the series wasn't so masher friendly, it would probably be my favorite fighting franchise of all time.
That post brought back memories. I agree with you comment. Whenever I would run across a Eddy/Christie button masher I would choose Paul Phoenix. But I preferred to use Kazuya, Jin, or Bryan Fury. But for me personally Tekken is my favorite fighting franchise of all time.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I know what I'm doing and still lose to button mashers here and there... It's pretty bad lol.
N Im talking top players though, I could see good players losing to button mashers still. But Tekken is all about movement, if you have BDC down then you can just punish them usually.

Tekken is by far the worst currently with Asuka, Lili and all them mashy characters. I thought SF4 was bad but at least those mashers are easily punished, in Tekken it's harder b/c of how characters move differently overall.

People lose to mashers because it takes you off guard and you start to stoop down to their level of bad play.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Tekken is by far the worst currently with Asuka, Lili and all them mashy characters. I thought SF4 was bad but at least those mashers are easily punished, in Tekken it's harder b/c of how characters move differently overall.

People lose to mashers because it takes you off guard and you start to stoop down to their level of bad play.
I don't mind Tekken mashers as much as I used to. I main King and love the fact he comes equipped with a kick counter. Works like a charm against those Eddy or Hwoarang scrubs.