What's new

Button Layout on a stick?

What's your opinion on that?
I'm brainstorming the entire day and I can't decide what will be the most comfortable for me.
I was thinking about doing something like:

2, 1, 3
Gimmick, Meter Burn, Stage Interactive

2 and 1 close together because I guess many strings will be like that and 1 and 3 close together because of the throw I guess.
If Meter Burn ends up being more important than the gimmick, I might switch these two.

I know, it's not the most important / needed topic, but I'm curious what other stick users will try if they decide to go with something custom, instead of the standard, because of easier tournament settings.

In UMVC3 I have:

H, M, L
S, A1, A2

H, M, L because it feels natural for me to start off with the ring finger when I start doing to most basic combos for hit confirms.

In Street Fighter games I have:

HP, MP, LP
HK, MK, LK

MK9 always felt kinda tricky on that part, because of all the additional buttons:

2, 1, Block, RT
4, 3, Throw, LT

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
My Ideal layout would be something like

LMH
TMS

my biggest concern with that is how throwing might work.

ninjay

Noob
I didnt know you had to press LH to throw. That shouldn't be hard on a stick. Depending on if a throw command has priority over an attack, you could possibly hit LMH at the same time to get a throw. Won't really know until someone tries.

LMH
TMS

It will be 1+3 and I think you will be able to negate both throws, forward and back with 1+3, without having to guess back / forward anymore.

I didnt know you had to press LH to throw. That shouldn't be hard on a stick. Depending on if a throw command has priority over an attack, you could possibly hit LMH at the same time to get a throw. Won't really know until someone tries.
Anyone at PAX find out?

Neuvost

Noob
Perhaps we'll see something more standardized now that the demo's out?

LMH
TMS

T stands for gimmick somehow, or am I really lost?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
LMB
HPI

B = Meter Burn, I = Interactive.

That's probably the best layout for stick.

Gryfen Z

Game store guy
Been wondering about this exact topic a few days and now the demo is downloading so it's more on my mind. Super moves are Meter + stance, but I know there's a shortcut for it as well. I want to say it was Meter + H + T. If that's the case, then

LMI
HTm

I - interact
T - trait
m - meter

...is likely ideal since just nailing the bottom 3 would launch a super. I main Vega in the SF games, so that's a pretty natural button press for me. =) Of course, my reasoning goes right out the window if I have the shortcut wrong.

EDIT- That also keeps throw as the two most left oriented buttons, another familiar button press if you've played any of the recent SF games.

Stchamps

PSN: SoaD_009
After playing the demo for a little while now it appears that the best layout for an arcade stick is the default layout which is:

L M I
H P Me

I = Stage Interact
P = Character power
Me = Meter usage

The only awkward thing is doing a super which is "H + M + Me".

Grabs are done by "L + H" which is the same position on the stick as in Street Fighter 4.
Switching stance is "H + M".

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Currently, I prefer L M S(tance Switch)/H P Me.

You can stage interact with L+M, which is a really intuitive shortcut compared to any super shortcut you'll get outside of using a stance button. I'm already completely adjusted to it.

Ultimately, you can re-arrange Stance, Power, and Meter any way you like s'long as Stance+Meter are adjacent and it'd work pretty well. I'll probably experiment more when button config is more convenient.

Ideally I would use

LMH
P

But NRS doesn't let you unmap buttons and forces you to use the macro buttons for supers.

L M H I
B T - -

On my 8 button stick. B for meter burn, T for trait, I for interact. Find it easier to do EX moves if the meter burn button is A. LT & RT are trickier for me so I leave them blank.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I will be using:
L M H Mb
T I G S
T= Trait I= interactable G= Throw S= stance

The only button on the bottom row I will need to touch is trait.

VGB Joe Kerr

Insane Brilliance
I just wanted to post it in case anyone was still wondering. I use the same for MK as well.

edit: THROW IS L+H if you didn't know. I knew I forgot something.

Attachments

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I think I'm going to do something similar to what I used in MK to try to make going back and forth between games easier.

MK:
1,BLK,2,Throw
3,FlipStance,4,Tag

IGAU:
1,MB,2,?
3, ?,4,?

I'm not sure what to do next. I want to be able to initiate super with the middle two buttons, but its more important to me to have MB where my MK block would be so i can use it for enhanced stuff and clash in the same place as that stuff in MK. I'll have to figure this out when I get home, or else take suggestions if people have them.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
I use default. My biggest gripe is how to do supers. It's so weird my stick only has a 6 button layout. So I don't have the Lb for the super.
They should of thought of it better for 6 buttons. Instead of having to use 7

Posted this in another stick layout thread, but the info is relevant, so copy-pasting so word gets out.

Ok, I found out you actually only need 5 buttons (as far as I know.) The second custom layout handles everything.

So of course, people know Throws are L+H, and interact is L+M. What hasn't been mentioned is that turn around is actually mapped to M+H. Since super is supposed to be Turn Around+Meter Burn, you only need to hit M,H, and Meter burn.

Also, if you didn't know, meter burn can be activated by hitting L+M+H after the move you want to burn meter. The macro is there but it's not necessary other than super (Needing the button is odd considering the other stuff, but I can't get it to work the other way.) To do the charge attacks, you do the move, and while holding H you press L+M and it'll give it the meter burn property.

Hopefully this helps people.