What's new

Best & Worst X-Rays to Use, Discuss

Dark_Rob

Noob
bro if we could use boss mode khan id main him and be doing his elbow grease loops left and right XD
LOL Shao Kahn would be so broke if you could play him. His shoulder ram is safe on block and totally spammable, he cant be thrown, oh yea and hes got an INFINITE. As slow as it is if you get hit by one hammer you are done lol.

On topic.
Best Xray's are
1. Kung Lao - Fastest activation in the game. Effectively shuts down all jump-ins and crossovers, has armor on startup instantly, and can be comboed into and out of for big damage.

2.Sub-Zero - 2nd fastest xray in the game, does not have armor on startup but does once you are moving foward. Shuts down all zoning from anywhere other than full screen, hardly scales at all in combo. Subzero takes the first half of your life slowly, but takes the 2nd half in one combo.

3.Reptile- Because of the amount of meter Reptile can build while zoning with his projectile he can usually get xray at least once a match. Has armor while its moving for sure, Im not sure about on startup but THTB would know for sure. Effectively shuts down all zoning. Does decent damage on its own(which is the only way I ever see Reptile players use it) but scales horribly in combos. Should never be used in combos

Worst Xrays.

Sheeva- Absolutely worthless, and made even more worthless with the latest patch which made her EX moves so much better. Sheeva needs her meter for enhanced moves. She cannot win without them. Her xray is slow as shit, I dont think Ive ever been caught by it. Forget Sheeva even has an xray. Her enhanced moves are where its at.

Skarlet- While it is an overhead you can see it coming from a mile away. Even on its own it does weak ass damage that she can exceed with her combos. As with Sheeva her enhanced moves are where its at with her.

Kabal- Kabal's xray is not as bad as most people think. It is fast, and does decent damage on his own. The problem is I believe it only has armor on startup and not while its moving so if your going to use to anti-zone then you have to time it carefully. It scales horribly in combo, never use it to end a combo.
The real reason though has nothing to with his xray. His enhanced moves, particularly enhanced nomad dash, are so good it is almost always better to save your meter for them, rather then blow it all on his xray.

DFogz

Noob
In no particular order
Best:
1. Kung Lao - Scales well, AA, combo into and out, super quick startup and who doesn't like to see an awesome karate chop
2. Liu Kang - Overhead, armored, combo out of with 213 for great results (especially in the corner)
3. Johnny Cage - Great mind games, double nut punch is always funny, nut punch reset
4. Cyrax - Fast, AA, combo into and out of, looks friggen awesome!
5. Jax/Kano - Armored, on start-up causes opponent to say "oh shit!" and for some inexplicable reason they usually just freeze in place, most damaging

Worst:
1. Sheeva - slow, easily avoidable on reaction, opponent needs to be grounded
2. Kitana - Scales horribly in combos, if at mid/full screen easy to block/duck, easy to whiff up close
3. Kabal - does not scale well, no armor, slow startup
4. Jade - can be neutral ducked, long recovery on whiff, meter better spent elsewhere
5. Scarlet - least damaging, easy to see coming, Ex moves are where it's at

Worth mentioning: Scorpion. I had someone today hit me with b2, spear, xray
I had no idea it scaled so badly with b2. All he got was 28% out of it....

AK Toxic

Graphic Designer
LOL Shao Kahn would be so broke if you could play him. His shoulder ram is safe on block and totally spammable, he cant be thrown, oh yea and hes got an INFINITE. As slow as it is if you get hit by one hammer you are done lol.

On topic.
Best Xray's are
1. Kung Lao - Fastest activation in the game. Effectively shuts down all jump-ins and crossovers, has armor on startup instantly, and can be comboed into and out of for big damage.

2.Sub-Zero - 2nd fastest xray in the game, does not have armor on startup but does once you are moving foward. Shuts down all zoning from anywhere other than full screen, hardly scales at all in combo. Subzero takes the first half of your life slowly, but takes the 2nd half in one combo.

3.Reptile- Because of the amount of meter Reptile can build while zoning with his projectile he can usually get xray at least once a match. Has armor while its moving for sure, Im not sure about on startup but THTB would know for sure. Effectively shuts down all zoning. Does decent damage on its own(which is the only way I ever see Reptile players use it) but scales horribly in combos. Should never be used in combos

Worst Xrays.

Sheeva- Absolutely worthless, and made even more worthless with the latest patch which made her EX moves so much better. Sheeva needs her meter for enhanced moves. She cannot win without them. Her xray is slow as shit, I dont think Ive ever been caught by it. Forget Sheeva even has an xray. Her enhanced moves are where its at.

Skarlet- While it is an overhead you can see it coming from a mile away. Even on its own it does weak ass damage that she can exceed with her combos. As with Sheeva her enhanced moves are where its at with her.

Kabal- Kabal's xray is not as bad as most people think. It is fast, and does decent damage on his own. The problem is I believe it only has armor on startup and not while its moving so if your going to use to anti-zone then you have to time it carefully. It scales horribly in combo, never use it to end a combo.
The real reason though has nothing to with his xray. His enhanced moves, particularly enhanced nomad dash, are so good it is almost always better to save your meter for them, rather then blow it all on his xray.
I think it only has armor on startup

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Practical X-Rays to use in no particular order:
Sub-Zero: Comes out super fast, has Super armor, and it's pretty safe.
Kung Lao: Basically a safer Spin. Comboable in and out.
Johnny Cage: Can turn the tide in your favor is used correctly.
Kano: 41% and Unblockable.
Other practical X-Ray users: Liu Kang, Ermac, Nightwolf, Noob Saibot, Raiden, Reptile and Sonya

Impractical X-Rays:
Kabal: Absolutely no armor on startup and the terrible damage scaling.
Kenshi: Worthless...better meter use elsewhere.
Skarlet: 29%? No.
Sheeva: Enhanced moves are better.
Quan Chi: Do I need to explain THIS?
Other impractical X-Ray users: Sektor, Baraka, Cyber Sub Zero, Cyrax, Mileena, Rain, Stryker, Kitana, Jade, Shang Tsung, Scorpion, Smoke, Sindel, Freddy Krueger and Kratos.

Mileena's is really bad. It's easy to block and is ravaged by scaling if you combo into it.

Kano's, Jax, Johnny Cage, and Cyber-Subs are all very useful in that they are the most likely to connect.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Freddy's X-Ray is garbage, and there's absolutely no reason anyone should do it. Freddy can use one bar of meter to deliver greater damage than his X-ray, use the only armor he has or do an EX teleport to get out of tight situations, and extend meterless combos. The X-Ray is also incredibly unreliable as an anti-air, and is harder to hit an enemy with than his EX ground claws, which track them down anywhere on the field, so it shouldn't even be used to end a match with. To top it all off, it isn't aesthetically pleasing either. It's just....awful. IMO, one of the worst in the game. Up there with Kabal's.

I dunno about best, but my personal favorite is Kano's. Unblockable, does a lot of damage, and enemies almost always get hit by it for some reason. Kano also doesn't have much use for EX moves, so it's very useful.

swag1

EX smash solves all
Rain. Has armour, brings them from full screen to you, can be comboed into/out of, mediocre scaling, armour all the way through :x:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Why did it take until Dark Rob to mention Reptile's X-Ray? Among the fastest X-Rays in the game, has armor ALONGSIDE projectile invincibility up until he starts to grab the opponent, can function as an anti-air and anti-crossup reliably, and can be followed with a reset using d4 or f2 (can be blocked), so it is technically at least 2% more damaging than what the counter says. You can use this X-Ray on reaction to more things than just about any other X-Ray actually.

There's a reason I do the Tom Brady better than Tom Brady himself. XD

Death

Noob
Baraka- Sucks. Use meter for EX Blade charge/breakers
Cage- AMAZING but Risky X-ray. Preferrably used for EX forceball traps and EX shadow kick to get through zoning/breakers
Cyber Sub-Zero- Unsafe on block. Can be used in a bomb setup. Preferrably use meter for breakers and ex dive kick
Cyrax- Useless. Use meter for EX bomb in combos and breakers.
Ermac- Can be used for the armor. Preferably use meter for EX TKP and breakers.
Freddy- Dumb. Use meter for ex ground claw and breakers
Jade- No clue. possibly use meter for ex glow and breakers
Jax- Useless maybe??Better to use meter for EX dash punch, ex ground pound and ex over head smash and breakers
Kabal- Useless. Save meter for breakers
Kano- Good. Use meter for x-ray and breakers
Kenshi- Useless. Use meter for armored moves and breakers
Kitana- Useless. Use meter for breakers and ex cutter in strings/ex fan toss in combos
Kung Lao- AMAZING X-RAY. Use meter for x-ray and ex tele and breakers
Liu Kang- Pretty good overhead x-ray. use meter for x-ray and breakers and ex bicycle kick/ex flying kick to get around zoning
Mileena- Useless x-ray. Scales bad. Possibly only use it for the armor but its very unsafe on block. Better to use meter elsewhere. Use meter for B+3~ex ball or ex tele and breakers.
Nightwolf- No Clue. possibly use meter for ex shoulder/ex hatchet and breakers.
Noob- No clue either. Possibly use meter for ex upknee and breakers
Quan Chi- Useless. SAVE METER FOR RUNE TRAP. DONT EVER BREAK either lol
Raiden- No clue. Use meter for ex shocker and breakers and possibly ex tele
Rain- No clue. Possibly use meter for ex roundhouse and breakers and possibly ex bubble.
Reptile- Decent to get through zoning. Mainly use meter for ex slide to get through zoning and ex slow ball.
Scorpion- Pretty bad i think. Mainly use meter for breakers and ex spear for the armor and ex tele.
Sektor- Not good either i think. Use meter for ex tele and breakers.
Shang- Not good. Use meter for ex soul steal and ex ground skull and breakers.
Sheeva- Not good. use meter for breaker and ex grab.
Sindel- Pretty decent.
Skarlet- Bad. Use meter for ex red dash and breakers
Smoke- Bad. Use meter for breakers and ex smoke cloud for resets or ending combos with 10% extra damage.
Sonya- Not bad at all. has armor and does decent damage. But mainly use sonyas meter for ex cartwheel and breakers. Possibly ex arc kick to get around zoning.
Stryker- Not great. Use meter for ex roll and ex baton sweep and breakers
Sub-Zero- Good x-ray. gets through zoning. Has armor and has a lot of adv on block. other than that use meter for breakers and ex slide to get through zoning.

Copy pasted that i had in a word doc...Sometimes i judge if an x-ray is good is if its needed in gameplay. Most x-rays imo suck and arent needed except for maybe 5-7.

IMO,

Best: Sub, Sonya, Sindel, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kano, Cage
Worst: Skarlet, Smoke, Sheeva, Shang, Sektor, Scorp, Quan, Mil, Kitana, Kenshi, Kabal, Baraka, Cyrax

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Coolness-wise:

5. Skarlet, I like her use of high heels for more than just appearing taller.
4. Ermac, just for the Wario style butt stomp.
3. Jax, backbreaker moves FTW.
2. Shao Kahn, I know SZ headbutts people too, but Kahn unleashes an awesome roar as he does his.
1. Kintaro, simple and brutal. What I love.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Hey i dont know if anyone has brought this up
But does scorpions xray have invincibility frames on start up?
Sorry for the noob question, but i've been xrayed out of a b+2 reset with subzero
Its not me mistiming it, the b+2 just doesnt seem to hit him.
The game even slows down cuz so much crap is happening on screen so you can see scorpion disappear through the ground as b+2 makes a contact with him.
Im not sure if this anything, but thought i'd put it out there
I could just be completely wrong and im just epically fail at timing. But im pretty sure thats not it, cuz i can hit the b+2 reset 99% of the time.