What's new

Best Option against turtling players?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I am learning the ins and outs of sektor and am doing quite well with him online (I know, I know but it is the only way I can get some non ai training in) but the only problem I run into is turtled opponents. If I go for the leg lift, they get wise and either uppercut, or fuzzy block high. Going in for a throw results in an uppercut as well. What is the best course of action? Back off and up missile? What do you do when your opponent turtles?

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Most players I run into always block high lol so b34 is freeee. Anyway sounds like your actually running into good players or people that like spamming uppercuts. Zoning is decent against most chars so its a good idea to do moves like b1 to get some room. Mix up your up missles with straight missles and if try getting TU's if the up missles connect. Against uppercut happy players running in and throwing probably isn't a good idea. Much better to link it off maybe of a 12 etc then throw or d3 twice etc anything to create pressue.

So long as your mixing it up between b34 and throws then you should open them up. Also I rarely use leg lift online because people suck and it feels uncessessary lol but its good to use a homing missle then go in and apply pressure with leg lift, cross up punch and leg lift also works well too.

Generally make sure you mix it up, abuse b34 because its awesome and mix in some zoning. Use homing missle a lot too. You can also do things like jf p124 flame etc which gives good chip dmg.

Leg Lift to bait an attack or uppercut from just out of uppercut range, then if they wiff the uppercut dash in and throw or 12b1 combo etc.

Sektroll

Noob
I am learning the ins and outs of sektor and am doing quite well with him online (I know, I know but it is the only way I can get some non ai training in) but the only problem I run into is turtled opponents. If I go for the leg lift, they get wise and either uppercut, or fuzzy block high. Going in for a throw results in an uppercut as well. What is the best course of action? Back off and up missile? What do you do when your opponent turtles?
Have not played this game in weeks, but once I finally get some free time...

To answer your question, though, watch how they are turtling.

-If you are close to full screen, you are iTU their projectiles on reaction (unless Noob where you jump over and TU while above tackle or slide projectile)

-If they are not throwing projectiles, you are straight and front/tracking up missile (not homing, but the tracking one)

-If they think they are safe with ducking your straight missiles and dancing around up missiles, you are dash blocking into flame to punish their no block ducking

-If closer then the tip of dash block to flame, you dash block into b3,4

-Once they are scared of dash block to b3,4 or trying to block in time and punish flame, you notice strings from your fingertips connected to their character since you control them now like a puppet master does a puppet. This opens a mess of things like wave dash mixups (u3,f,f,u3,f,f into b3,4 or u3,overhead or throw)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Thanks guys. I will start practicing flamethrower pokes and utilizing the leg lift for mind games as opposed to straight up attacks. I think I will have a lot of fun wave dashing with it as I nevermeven thought of utilizing that kind of mind ****

Flamethrower and missile are free meter against turtlers. Throw those out and get your meter up.

A lot of people seem confused against enemies who crouch block and uppercut when you approach. The way to beat that is 3-stepped:

Step 1: Leisurely walk up to the opponent
Step 2: Crouch
Step 3: Punish the whiffed uppercut

Leg lift actually won't work against someone doing that - they'll hit you out of it.

This method is only if you really want to punish them immediately. I don't know why you would though - sektor loves turtlers. It's free meter and chip damage all day for you. Shoot missiles or dash in and get them with the tip of your flamethrower.

Really whenever someone turtles against my Sektor I like to do the b3 dash dance into throw. The other option I do is jump in and if they block and crouch block I just throw them and keep repeating.

I sometimes jump in and do my stance overhead but the majority of people I face do the little d3 to knock me out of the stance. With the jumpin punch block I rarely get them to tech the throw and if they are crouch blocked It's a guaranteed throw.