What's new

Best NRS game of the Decade?

Which is the best NRS game of the decade?

• MK9

Votes: 94 42.7%
  • Injustice:Gods Among Us

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • MKX

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Injustice 2

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • MK 11

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Undecided too close to call for me

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

Komatose

The Prettiest
MK9 easy. I had the most fun with the game, community and made so many friends on MK9. MK9 leveled up my reactions and fighting game skills in general. I feel like the community was closer, the hype was up there, the tournament matches and streams were unreal to watch and fun, nonetheless. MK9 was the era of greatness for many like me who started on MKDC-MK9. I often wish I could go back even for a day to bullshit and sandbag in KOTHs with people like @Blind_Ducky, @REO and many others but I’ll never be able to experience that again and it hurts. Those were the best gaming days of my life and probably always will be. ❤

M2Dave

Zoning Master
In terms of gameplay (i.e., balance, free of glitches and bugs, etc.), I would say...

1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Injustice 2
  3. Mortal Kombat X
  4. Injustice 1
  5. Mortal Kombat 9
The vast majority of people who voted for Mortal Kombat 9 would not play the game for more than a week. People in this community complain about Geras and Johnny Cage on a daily basis. How do you think they would react if Mortal Kombat 9 had a Kombat League and a Cyrax player did a 90% combo to them or a Kenshi player zoned them out with spirit charges and impenetrable armor?

I know how. We all know how.

People, please stop deluding yourselves.

And speaking of delusions...

MK9 because I find it amusing how triggered and annoyed people get at others for enjoying something so old, graphically unappealing, and broken.

The nerve of someone else liking something you don't. How dare they.
If Mortal Kombat 9 was so enjoyable, you would not be playing a heavily modded version of the game.

You above all people know very well how excessively flawed the game is.

People's blind love for Mortal Kombat 9 continues to baffle me.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Lot of love and some hate for MK 9 apparently lol. Never understood why people think if you like one game over another it's blind or wearing blinders or whatever analogy you want to use. How fascinating! But hey, regardless of preferences gentlemen the polls speak for themselves.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Everyone saying, "If NRS cared about game balance!" pick MK9 which is not a balanced game. I love this community but we got a lot of hypocrites that just won't admit they like busted shit, Now for me? I am undecided as all of the games are good in their own way. I think it's a blessing people still play all of them to this day. I'm just happy we as a community have got our own niche of games we can still run tournaments for without a big prize pot.

I will say his though. I am gonna use some wrestling jargon here. We treat Injustice games as our mid card and opening matches while Mortal Kombat is our main event. Let's face it we love MK more than Injustice.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
In terms of gameplay (i.e., balance, free of glitches and bugs, etc.), I would say...

1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Injustice 2
  3. Mortal Kombat X
  4. Injustice 1
  5. Mortal Kombat 9
The vast majority of people who voted for Mortal Kombat 9 would not play the game for more than a week. People in this community complain about Geras and Johnny Cage on a daily basis. How do you think they would react if Mortal Kombat 9 had a Kombat League and a Cyrax player did a 90% combo to them or a Kenshi player zoned them out with spirit charges and impenetrable armor?

If Mortal Kombat 9 was so enjoyable, you would not be playing a heavily modded version of the game.

I'd play MK9 if it was made backwards compatible with updated netcode. Again.....IT'S FUN. I don't care what's happening in the game, as long as it's fun.

You say we wouldn't play it for more than a week, but that's just simply not true for most of us. I don't play MK11 AT ALL ANYMORE because it's boring as hell and I'm not going to waste my time on it when I could play a game like Tekken 7 instead. I've never given up on an NRS game quicker. MK9 gets backward compatibility tomorrow with updated netcode and I'd personally be playing the shit out of it.

I agree with a lot of your points most of the time, but I don't understand your inability to just deal with the fact that many people love MK9. Your Freddy in that game was far more interesting than anything in MK11.

As far as REO playing a modded version of the game, why wouldn't he? It's even more fun to play a version of that game where a low tier character like Baraka has a few new tools/combo routes. I've never been able to play that version as it's PC only, but I imagine it just feels like the final patch that NRS never did. I see no issue there.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Never understood why people think if you like one game over another it's blind or wearing blinders or whatever analogy you want to use.
I understand that people love MK9, and if someone finds it fun I'm not going to doubt them. Fun can be subjective.

What I don't always understand though is that a lot of the things people complain about in MK11 also exist in MK9. Sometimes to an even worse degree. That's where the "blinders" comments come from.

I'm more curious why people love MK9 so much. Is it the actual game itself or is it that for a lot of people MK9 was their gateway game into the FGC, and came out at the right time when they were just in the right mood to fall in love with a fighting game?

REO

Undead
@M2Dave I really don't care what games people play or enjoy. Some of you spend most of your time and energy on these boards trying to tell others what they should like / and or play.

It's petty how already into 2020 we still have players trying to be forum scroungers. People literally scoffing at the thought of any sane individual(s) enjoying any pre-MK11 game ranging from the old 2D classics, 3D games, and other NRS titles. Imagine being one of the already smaller communities in the FGC and using your time to interrogate and berate others within the same MK umbrella. Why do so many people care what other people choose to play and have fun with on their free time? I'll never understand.

You have to ask yourself why would I choose regular MK9 when someone created a mod that fixes plenty of the bugs, severely polishes up the gameplay, and even went to the extent of fixing and removing nearly all of the hitbox issues among the cast(!). If I was revisiting the older NRS games and there was similar modded versions for INJ1 or MKX that did the same thing, I would also choose to play them over the original.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
I'd play MK9 if it was made backwards compatible with updated netcode. Again.....IT'S FUN. I don't care what's happening in the game, as long as it's fun.

You say we wouldn't play it for more than a week, but that's just simply not true for most of us. I don't play MK11 AT ALL ANYMORE because it's boring as hell and I'm not going to waste my time on it when I could play a game like Tekken 7 instead. I've never given up on an NRS game quicker. MK9 gets backward compatibility tomorrow with updated netcode and I'd personally be playing the shit out of it.

I agree with a lot of your points most of the time, but I don't understand your inability to just deal with the fact that many people love MK9. Your Freddy in that game was far more interesting than anything in MK11.

As far as REO playing a modded version of the game, why wouldn't he? It's even more fun to play a version of that game where a low tier character like Baraka has a few new tools/combo routes. I've never been able to play that version as it's PC only, but I imagine it just feels like the final patch that NRS never did. I see no issue there.
You say this now but play a Kabal that can stun lock you, a Cryax can cough and reset bomb you to death, a Sonya that is good, and a Freddy who turtle the fuck out of you. MK9 is fun, but people kissing tis butt forgot how woefully unbalanced the game was. Also you wanna play Tekken 7? Season 3 has a meta of who can land the first hit and take 75%.

I swear people like you are funny in what you like, it seems you're more interested in what the cool kids are playing than what is fun.

@M2Dave I really don't care what games people play or enjoy. Some of you spend most of your time and energy on these boards trying to tell others what they should like / and or play.

It's petty how already into 2020 we still have players trying to be forum scroungers. People literally scoffing at the thought of any sane individual(s) enjoying any pre-MK11 game ranging from the old 2D classics, 3D games, and other NRS titles. Imagine being one of the already smaller communities in the FGC and using your time to interrogate and berate others within the same MK umbrella. Why do so many people care what other people choose to play and have fun with on their free time? I'll never understand.

You have to ask yourself why would I choose regular MK9 when someone created a mod that fixes plenty of the bugs, severely polishes up the gameplay, and even went to the extent of fixing and removing nearly all of the hitbox issues among the cast(!). If I was revisiting the older NRS games and there was similar modded versions for INJ1 or MKX that did the same thing, I would also choose to play them over the original.
As a sub of your YouTube channel and follower of your Twitch REO. I have nothing but respect for you, but you're turning a blind eye in vain of wanting to be right. If MK9 was on PS4/XB1, we'll be playing the last patch and not that cool mod that PerfectLegend hates(Two Time Evo Champion in MK9 hates it but it's godlike I guess). MK9 is fun but it has a lot of issues and if we were playing in tournaments we would be playing the PS3 version and not that cool mod because NRS would do what Nintendo did to Project M.

Last edited:

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
No contest it's MK9 by a W I D E margin, no it wasn't bAlAncEd but who gives a crumb of a fuck when it was absolutely unequivocally FUN! Back when NRS wasn't bowing down to certain cultural trends ;);) or trying to be a bootleg Marvel with their story structure (not that it was ever A1 but MK9 def > MK11 in terms of writing) where the characters weren't over designed, the roster was filled with ACTUAL fan favorites and the stages and soundtrack were something to be remembered, classic costumes, stage fatalities, babalities, MODES BEYOND SOME CHANGING TOWERS, need I go on? I mean can anyone of you even name a soundtrack from MK11 off by heart? Easier still can you even remember one that isn't directly from the trailer? Probably not.
Anyone who doesn't agree is fine too but the loads of fans on every website where MK has a base in, where people are crying for an MK9 remaster right before they ask to settle for an MK11 overhaul, that should at least get some of you mooks to understand there's something to that game that the others just don't have going for them, and I say that as someone who loved X almost as much as 9, but 11 feels off in more ways than one and clearly:u it's not as unpopular of an opinion as certain people would like you believe it is.

- Here's an edit because I forgot that MK11 doesn't even have bios for their characters, "oH bUt iTS oN tHe WeBsiTe JusT loOK ThErE." Yeah cause that's perfectly logical, not wanting a piece of your game in your game. :rolleyes:;)
You are right about the music. In MK9, it was fantastic! I can't really call that noise in MK11 music at all. I love all the MK9 characters but when you are on the receiving end of Kabal's instant air gas blasts or a Cyrax reset for 90% life loss, the game loses some of its charm rather quickly. I feel the same about MKD. Great music, fun game. Broken AF.

REO

Undead
I haven't been to a tournament since beginning of 2017 so why would I let what version of MK9 that people play at tournaments influence the one I play on my own time? Sometimes on my free time when I decide to play MK9 with friends, it's always the modded version. Same thing with UMK3 and the Ultimate Cup Mod, and etc. etc.

I'm not posting to be "right" about anything here. Play whatever game YOU want when YOU want. Literally can't believe I'm stating that players should play whatever version they want of their game of choice when they get home from work. You want to play Xbox Version of Injustice 1? Go ahead. You want to play handheld vita version of MK9? Go ahead. You want to play Nintendo Switch version of MK11 online? Go ahead. You want to play modded Tekken with unique costumes and training enhancements? Go ahead.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
You say this now but play a Kabal that can stun lock you, a Cryax can cough and reset bomb you to death, a Sonya that is good, and a Freddy who turtle the fuck out of you. MK9 is fun, but people kissing tis butt forgot how woefully unbalanced the game was. Also you wanna play Tekken 7? Season 3 has a meta of who can land the first hit and take 75%.

I swear people like you are funny in what you like, it seems you're more interested in what the cool kids are playing than what is fun.

As a sub of your YouTube channel and follower of your Twitch REO. I have nothing but respect for you, but you're turning a blind eye in vain of wanting to be right. If MK9 was on PS4/XB1, we'll be playing the last patch and not that cool mod that PerfectLegend hates(Two Time Evo Champion in MK9 hates it but it's godlike I guess). MK9 is fun but it has a lot of issues and if we were palying in tournaments we would be playing the PS3 version and not that cool mod because NRS would do what Nintendo did to Project M.
I'm well aware of the bullshit in MK9, and I'd still prefer to play it over MK11. I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself. If you like MK11, that's great. Enjoy yourself with the game. I think it's a boring piece of shit. It looks beautiful, but I dislike just about every aspect of the gameplay.

Tekken 7 online is littered with braindead Leroys right now, but it's still not stopping me from having fun with the game whatsoever. Tekken 7 is alive and well and was released in 2015. MK11 feels like it's nearly dead already because MANY people feel the same way as I do.

I don't get why there are so many people on here basically telling me I should like MK11. I have been playing MK since literally day 1 in the arcades as a kid. I fucking LOVE MORTAL KOMBAT. I want to like MK11 and I just don't.

Also, according to your status, didn't you JUST BUY MK11? I loved it at first, too. Let's see how you feel about the game in a month or so.

Last edited:
These threads are great. With no direction on how anyone defines best. Pure pointless debate. Enjoy folks!

KI, MKXL, MK11 have ruined my appreciation for older games by actually having reasonable netplay.

i respect everyone who said mk9 but serrously i think people forgot how fucking cancerous it was. Cyrax 160 % resets , Jax infinite, Smoke 120% resets, Kabal Borderline block inifinite, Sonya safe armored launcher. Awful online

1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Injustice 2
  3. Mortal Kombat X
  4. Injustice 1
  5. Mortal Kombat 9

maybe because mk11 was a stale holo experience and mk9 felt like it had differentiated playstyles, interesting offense and more outplay potential and mkx was literally pure rushdown/mixups?

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Objective aspects are easy to judge. Graphics, sound, and even sophistication of balancing (I'd say) are all aspects you can clearly see progress in. So apples-to-apples, you basically pick the newest game and call it the superior one at the time. MK9, Injustice, MKX, and IJ2 all held that title until the next game came out.

But I don't think you can clearly compare that kind of stuff with the subjective stuff. Roster, movement system, combo system, etc. is something individuals decide on. It seems a lot of people prefer those aspects in MK9 over the subsequent games.

I'll speak for myself... When I say I prefer MK9 over the other games, I think of two reasons...

1. During each game's time, I had the most fun with MK9. The game itself, the players you played, the time I personally had to dump into it, etc.

2. If they were going to redo a game or build the next game in the vein of previous game, I'd prefer MK9. I like the DNA of the game. Basic movement, fighting styles, etc. If you could have an MK9-style game, with modern aesthetics and a more sophisticated approach to balancing that meets today's standards, I think you'd have the winner.

That's how I approach the topic. Or you could keep debating, "MK11 has better internet" vs. "MK9 Kenshi was +8 on that move" nonsense.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
i respect everyone who said mk9 but serrously i think people forgot how fucking cancerous it was. Cyrax 160 % resets , Jax infinite, Smoke 120% resets, Kabal Borderline block inifinite, Sonya safe armored launcher. Awful online
Yet it was still more fun than any NRS game we have now lol. That’s the sad part.
It also lasted the longest out of any NRS game.

M2Dave

Zoning Master

I have yet to see any person on TYM dictating which games people should or should not play. I have also yet to see any person on TYM berating others for playing older NRS fighting games. What I do is see a small minority of individuals like me who are indicating Mortal Kombat 9's conspicuous flaws as well as the enormous hypocrisy with respect to Mortal Kombat 11. Subsequently, people like you are hiding under the umbrella of subjectivity and "fun" so you avoid having to address the 13,000 LBS elephant in the room, which is Mortal Kombat 9's utterly broken top tier characters and the glitches and bugs that plague the game.

I am not suggesting that you cannot have fun with a game despite its flaws. You most definitely can, but many people who are praising Mortal Kombat 9 in this thread are the same people who constantly post or make status updates about how broken Mortal Kombat 11's top tier characters are and how unbalanced the game is. This phenomenon is called hypocrisy, especially when the top tier characters in Mortal Kombat 9 are ten times superior to the top tier characters in Mortal Kombat 11.

I do believe that there is a certain number of individuals who genuinely appreciate Mortal Kombat 9 for what it was, but most people are nostalgics, blind fanatics, and followers who repeat what other people say on social media in a desperate attempt to discredit Mortal Kombat 11.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
MK9 comes out re-released for PS4 with updated netcode, the option to turn off all assists toggles like MK11 and MK11 training mode, they nerf the top 3, i would be playing that.

Also you wanna play Tekken 7? Season 3 has a meta of who can land the first hit and take 75%.
Bullshit, you will lose 75% of health in tekken if you make a big mistake, if not, no one is dealing that damage