What's new

Balance Discussion

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
So I enjoy looking at games from a design perspective, and while there's a lot of whining and desire for nerfs/buffs not a lot of people are talking about what they think is powerful/weak in an organized non-opinionated/non-hostile way.

So this is a thread about just personal OPINIONS on balance. Not to be used to make any changes to the game, but just to get a sense of what the community thinks.

Plus I make tutorial videos and this is a way to have fodder for them, whether it's anti-whatever tech or trying to find a use for weaker tools.

To keep this organized I'd like everyone to post the same information in roughly the same format.

Feel free to cut and paste.

Main Character(s):

Your best Matchup:

Your worst Matchup:

Do you play online?

Who do you think is the strongest character in the game?

What are things you think are too strong?

What are things you think might be too strong?

What are things you think might be too weak?

What are things you think are too weak?

Comments:

dookieagain

Last Bastion of Arcades
To keep this organized I'd like everyone to post the same information in roughly the same format.

Feel free to cut and paste.

Main Character(s): Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Your best Matchup: The Flash (But mostly because I just haven't played one who seemed talented)

Your worst Matchup: Doomsday(Online) or Green Lantern

Do you play online? Unfortunately

Who do you think is the strongest character in the game? I think Aquaman might just be it. He has great tools, he shuts down a lot of the cast by being hard to punish for many characters, and he deals solid damage at all ranges. He's not the best in any one area (Except maybe low pokes) but he is just great all around. Also his trait might just be the best in the game. (Certainly top 3 with Black Adam, and Bats)

Online I think Doomsday is the strongest character. Due to the choice for input delay (and heavy delay at that) the game is very different online and Doomsday is best poised to take advantage of that with moves that are hard to react to, braindead combo timing, astounding pressure that becomes even harder to find a hole in, and of course regular Venom becomes nigh unpunishable on reaction. Oh and if you can block ground pound online more power to you.

What are things you think are too strong? The only thing I am sure is too strong is Cyborg's block infinite. It's a ranged block infinite. It's the single thing I'd like to see unequivocally removed.

What are things you think might be too strong? I think Grundy's inescapable reset might be too strong. Cyrax just leaves a bad taste in my mouth as far as things with absolutely no counter goes. Not to mention 80% damage off a single opening is nasty in a game without breakers, and even if you get hit by it in the second round you can't break his throw chain.

I also think Killer Frost's slide might be too strong, but only in conjunction with her damage and reset. If she makes one correct guess she can easily take an entire healthbar from a single use of an unpunishable fast advancing special. The move itself isn't really any worse than Reptile's slide, but the fact that you can then get 50-60% (Depending on trait level) and then put them in an inescapable 50-50 is pretty nasty.

The last thing and this one is right on the line is Aquaman's trait. He is already an amazing defensesive and reactionary character, and he is safe against large portions of the cast if he spaces his specials. The fact that anyone who needs to land a ground chain before a launch has to get in on that mess twice is pretty nasty. But then again, it's hard to know how good it will be in the long run. So I think it's really dead on the line.

What are things you think might be too weak? I don't have a ton of experience with either of these characters, but I've heard Sinestro and Shazam both have major issues.

I also feel bad for characters who lack fast advancing specials. It can be difficult when you are bullied by a character using punishable moves and you have no option to punish because you lack the tool.

What are things you think are too weak? The only thing I think is assuredly too weak is Harley's trait. It's never worth using. Sure it can set up an unblockable, but even then it's stupidly punishable 2/3 of the time.

Comments: