What's new

ATP Show 83 - Aris, Rip and Rickstah - MKX leaks

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
maybe it would of been good last week...now it's a argument over stuff that already has answers for the most parts...kinda like most of the threads here...:(

haketh

Noob
I dont think he ever hated MK9.

He was immediately onboard with it when it came out, liked playing it a lot, did shows about it, etc. However, he did have a lot of problems with the mechanics of the game and dropped it after Evo 2011. He even had a podcast episode with the main topic being "Is MK9 dead after evo?" to which both he and LI joe said yes. I think Arturo was on it as well but I dont remember what he said.

As far as I remember he didnt have anything malicious to say. I remember his main talking point being that MK9 was a good starting point but lots of things prevented it from being a great game. (Im paraphrasing here). Which I would not say is bashing. In fact its a pretty fair assessment considering many other people dropped it due to input bugs, meter drain bugs, and so on.

Fast forward to Injustice, he also played that at the beginning and dropped it after Evo.

So in short, I would say he gives blunt criticisms, obviously opinion based, but fair usually. Other than that, expect Aris to play MKX until Evo then drop it.
Yeah, Aris' main problem with MK9 *And Injustice* was just the frequency of patching so early & due to that things that crept up later not being able to be touched. Don't blame him.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
That was kinda my point they rag on every game pretty much at one point or another. I have heard him go in on Harada and tekken pretty hardcore plenty of times so its not like he just single sout mk9. He supported mk9 quite a bit along with injustice and will do the same with mkx.

I would just like to hear the examples of what he was bashing if they were legitimate or not because they usually are.
To be fair, I don't watch all his vids just the few TYM promoted and each one he seemed to have more gripes than positives lol but if he's like that normally I don't know. He does seem a little skeptical on things. Though I do remember in his review vid he did give it some positives but also said things like the "meter was goofy" I don't see how it's goofy but whatever, lol and blocking takes getting used to? But I suppose if you're a player of back to block that could be true I guess. It's just MK has like always had a block button so I thought that was a bit silly imo.

His MK 9 first impression video he said he felt the fact that MK has "8 buttons is kind of retarded" I disagree heavily with this. I've also never heard anyone in 20 years make such a ridiculous complaint, it works well for MK do I didn't get that critique honestly. Says the dashing is clunky, most people or MK 9 players as you know liked the dash as you could dash cancel into block(one thing you can't do in MK X as we all know now) He also thinks the first hit getting a free bar of meter is retarded for whatever reason. I don't see the big deal, someone has to get the first hit eventually and it's one bar it's not like it fills the whole meter.

Those a few, there's some more but he also admits he doesn't know how to play MK several times. We all have opinions though, I guess. IMO I just feel some of his complaints are kind of dumb or silly at times like the "8 buttons is retarded" and "game feels clunky" bit I especially disagree with. And him saying "this game requires no execution"? Totally wrong there lol I think a lot would agree. I totally disagree with that notion. It's good that overall he supports fighters, just saying he seems to be one of those guys who likes to compare a game to Tekken since he's a big tekken fan, can't do that with a different game. Smash will not play like SF, MK won't play like KI. Tekken won't play like SF or MK or SC etc, etc know what I mean? This is just what I'd say to him personally.

If you're wondering what vid I'm talking about regarding some of those things he said it's this one, also has 95 dislikes and 79 likes...

I understand everyone has an opinion, I just hope his is more optimistic regarding MK X in upcoming months.

Last edited:

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
To be fair, I don't watch all his vids just the few TYM promoted and each one he seemed to have more gripes than positives lol but if he's like that normally I don't know. He does seem a little skeptical on things. Though I do remember in his review vid he did give it some positives but also said things like the "meter was goofy" I don't see how it's goofy but whatever, lol and blocking takes getting used to? But I suppose if you're a player of back to block that could be true I guess. It's just MK has like always had a block button so I thought that was a bit silly imo.

His MK 9 first impression video he said he felt the fact that MK has "8 buttons is kind of retarded" I disagree heavily with this. I've also never heard anyone in 20 years make such a ridiculous complaint, it works well for MK do I didn't get that critique honestly. Says the dashing is clunky, most people or MK 9 players as you know liked the dash as you could dash cancel into block(one thing you can't do in MK X as we all know now) He also thinks the first hit getting a free bar of meter is retarded for whatever reason. I don't see the big deal, someone has to get the first hit eventually and it's one bar it's not like it fills the whole meter.

Those a few, there's some more but he also admits he doesn't know how to play MK several times. We all have opinions though, I guess. IMO I just feel some of his complaints are kind of dumb or silly at times like the "8 buttons is retarded" and "game feels clunky" bit I especially disagree with. And him saying "this game requires no execution"? Totally wrong there lol I think a lot would agree. I totally disagree with that notion. It's good that overall he supports fighters, just saying he seems to be one of those guys who likes to compare a game to Tekken since he's a big tekken fan, can't do that with a different game. Smash will not play like SF, MK won't play like KI. Tekken won't play like SF or MK or SC etc, etc know what I mean? This is just what I'd say to him personally.

If you're wondering what vid I'm talking about regarding some of those things he said it's this one, also has 95 dislikes and 79 likes...

I understand everyone has an opinion, I just hope his is more optimistic regarding MK X in upcoming months.
Fair enough, I am glad you were able to produce for reasons for your comment. He is pretty outspoken and is blunt with his criticism and I can see people whos main game his talking about taking offense to the things he says.

I agree with him on some things but not all. I do agree with him on the execution thing as mk9 is not execution heavy compared to most other fgs. The first hit granting a bar meter I am pretty indifferent could care less either way. Everything else is just opinion and people need to see it as that.

I personally would rather hear outside views on fgs from him because he is well versed in them and doesn't sugar coat them or play fanboy and praise everything due to bias. I am sure he will have opinions on MKX either good or bad. He is not just gonna say good things about it because its a NRS game but at the same time he wont talk shit just because its a NRS game.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Yes, he was almost on Top 8 in the first evo, and his commentary was really good as well.

But he sure was overly caustic towards MK9 in the early days, but, perhaps he is more level-headed now.
I think its less about him and more about the game, or the mechanics of the game in specific.

nugava

Noob
The video you posted of him talking about the MK9 demo is pretty much irrelevant now... All he said was kind of idiotic, if you know the game NOW... (I laughed when he said nobody wil use 2 bars to break a combo). He never played the old MK games, it was just a random dude discovering a new fighting game. I promise he's on the HYPE TRAIN for MKX.

Last edited:

MKF30

@ nugava: well it was relevant to my point and example of some kind of dumb or silly things he's said, regardless if it was few years ago. Sutter had asked me when did he say something bad or bashing it, so I supplied. But it's good ATP is more optimistic about MK X than MK 9.

@Sutter Pain Thanks, I try. I can see I guess how some people would maybe be offended. Me not so much I just more so maybe would roll my eyes at certain complaints you know but guess we all have our perspectives. Know what I mean?

I think regarding executions it depends to me at least, I mean you still need to know what you're doing to win at a higher level or competitive etc. Now if you compare Ultras to say Xrays, obviously the Xrays mechanic is easier to do but I personally think NRS did that on purpose. They wanted to put in tools for the casual and advanced player but make it accessible to everyone at the same time. I think a game like Tekken, while it's fun is also one of the more technical fighters that take more time investing to master. I don't think that's very good to the casual crowd or someone who don't want to spend months learning one guy you know? That's just my opinion on Tekken compared to SF and MK or Smash etc. Different games have different learning curves you know? Though I hear now days Tekken is TOO casual, IDK. Yeah the meter thing don't bother me, if it filled the entire meter I'd have an issue with that but one bar and most players like ex moves or breakers so I don't care much for that gig.

But yeah I'm all for anyone having their opinions, I think what makes me scratch my head aren't so much comments like "I don't like this game, seems tough or annoying etc" but more the comments like "the meter is dumb or why a block button"? These things I'll admit nomatter who they come from genuinely make me scratch my head especially by now but whatever lol.

I watched his latest one, seemed more excited then not so much. Though I'll admit i didn't care much for his personal rants on the harpoon/spear thing and when he was saying "you know brian don't hang out at recess with these two" like how does he know? lol you know...but for the game he seems excited which is a good thing.

Last edited:

chores

bad at things
Yes, he was almost on Top 8 in the first evo, and his commentary was really good as well.

But he sure was overly caustic towards MK9 in the early days, but, perhaps he is more level-headed now.

people forget as well that his two losses at evo were to perfect legend and REO who ended up getting 1st and 2nd

nugava

Noob
Another exciting thing is: When he re-streamed live the last Kombat Kast on his twitch channel, he hit the 2000 viewers mark... He usually never breaks the 1000 viewers...

MKF30

Yeah he definitely seems more optimistic with MK X than he did with MK 9 I admit. Which is good. He still reminds me of the dude from Harry Potter, just forget his name. lol

MKF30

Hagrid.

I have no idea why this community hates him so much. He's one of the few people who gives all games a fair chance.
They hate him? I think hate's a strong word. He seems pretty cool, I may disagree with some of his critiques but I definitely don't hate him. lol. Now that other guy who called out the entire MKC and said our game is trash I don't like that guy lol.

lol you rock Spinky! haha

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
[QUOTE="MKF30, post: 1601134, member: 123 Says the dashing is clunky, most people or MK 9 players as you know liked the dash as you could dash cancel into block(one thing you can't do in MK X as we all know now) [/QUOTE]

Wasnt dash blocking changed later on? this vid is on the demo, the demo was super broken, could hit like 7 teleports in a combo with scorp.

MKF30

[QUOTE="MKF30, post: 1601134, member: 123 Says the dashing is clunky, most people or MK 9 players as you know liked the dash as you could dash cancel into block(one thing you can't do in MK X as we all know now)
Wasnt dash blocking changed later on? this vid is on the demo, the demo was super broken, could hit like 7 teleports in a combo with scorp.[/QUOTE]

I know, but he's said other stuff in other vids like the review MK 9 vid he said the meter was goofy, etc. At any rate, I've watched his other vids since this was posted and in general. He seems ok, doesn't seem aware of a lot of MK elements but that's to be expected since it's not his main game. He kind of reminds me of one of my friends who will play lots of games but tends to complain about a lot of petty shit. lol

It was polished and tweaked on release, but that's the reason why I actually hate demos because people complain way too much about them and are often never like the finished product. And the scorpion having multiple tp hits combos was fixed once the game released. Scorp was one of my mains, actually my first thanks to the demo familiarizing with him.

I have heard Aris say that MK9 has one of the best meter systems in any fighting game during the time he was playing it (minimal to almost non existent comeback mechanic/heavily emphasizes meter management). As well as that, although he's a huge critic, on several occasions says he does miss playing the game.

To add to this, his commentary for MK9's first Evo was pretty damn good with UltraDavid, despite the amount of heat he was receiving for his past criticisms. He even decided not to commentate Tekken 6 (his own game). I may disagree with Aris on many points (and his actions), but I'd be lying to say he bashed mk9 or didn't enjoy playing it (if you want to hear bashing listen to JOP or Eddiepistons talk about mk9 lol).

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Wow Aris and I are on the same exact page when it comes to the MKX cast. Fuck these whack ass human characters. Bring back robots, smoke, and noob.