What's new

At this stage, is there still a place for new main characters of established non-human species?

Art Lean

Noob
Since MK2, the series has only occasionally tried to introduce new characters of established non-human species to varying degrees of success, and the spin-off media has attempted this to even lesser success.

For example:

* Shokan: After Goro, we got Kintaro and then Sheeva who all have their fans, but Kintaro is undoubtedly the least popular of the bunch. Journey Begins gave us King Gorbak and Duroc, whilst Defenders of the Realm featured Zenkaro.

* Saurian: After Reptile, we got Khameleon, presumably Chameleon, whilst Conquest gave us Kiri and Ankha, and Defenders of the Realm gave us Komodai.

* Tarkatan: Baraka and technically Mileena, then really the only other one we got was Karbrac in Defenders of the Realm.

* Kytinn: There's only been D'Vorah so far.

* Naknadan: Only the Kollector so far.

* Centaurians: Only Motaro.

* Moroi: Just Nitara.

* Osh-Tekk: Only Kotal so far (I appreciate they're basically just human, but due to their full body paint and bone piercings will include them as they stand out visually).

NPCs in the storymode of the NRS games show many members of these species with some amazing designs, as have the TV shows, game endings and the comic books, that I personally would love to see explored. I'm honestly quite bored of the token Tarkatan always being Baraka when he has a massive tribe and MK11's story mode showed some very interesting members of his community, same goes for Kotal Kahn. But I also fully acknowledge that many of the above characters obviously had no staying power as they were very clearly just derivative of the OG characters, I'm sure we all agree we never want another MK4 Jarek-styled character again.

So I ask you all, do you feel there is potential to ever create memorable new characters from these species at this point in the franchise's life? I see the MKX comic image below and I really want to explore some of those crazy monsters (especially the bearded behemoth), and revisit the Tigrar lineage more deeply, instead of constantly relying on Goro after 30 years.

Or should the developers always be coming up with new species and designs, and keep to a classic main character to represent these species in the playable roster?

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
New characters sprung off from the various species is the route they should've have taken over this timeline garbage.

Good way to kill off characters, yet still retain their fighting style.