What's new

Ashamed of Progress

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I woke up thinking about my progress since the game launched. And of course I see a major difference and I think people I play against see it too, but then I just started feeling like I'm not where I want to be skill-wise. That I should be better. So, I sort of felt ashamed of where I was, that it just wasn't good enough.

I think it's that exact mindset that hinders progress and learning because essentially, we're forcing progress or forcing knowledge of something we don't even know yet. Instead of figuring out where we are, and working on what we have trouble with, we imagine where we could be without actually knowing how to get there. When you want to get through a path, you need to see it and you need to physically take that first step on that path. If you don't know where you are, you'll get lost. If you don't know what you need to work on, you'll never improve.

I'm telling this to everyone who feels discouraged of where they are right now skill-wise because I saw this way of thinking in me and my first thought was 'alright, you need to take this thought and delete the shit out of it.' We all need to train what we know we have trouble with - and trust me, everyone knows what they lack. And slowly but surely, if we're consistent, then that progress will come and it'll show.

leoj89

Noob
I hit a wall and it's frustrating.

If my character is op then why am I losing ?

Why can I destroy someone in the first game but then lose horribly in the next two matches in kl?

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I don't play many top tiers, but there is def a point of diminishing returns with continuing to play certain characters. Like I can play 100 more games with Noob how much better will my Noob really get, relatively? Or I can play 20 more games with Jax, Liu, Skarlet and level those characters up considerably from where they started.
Resource and time management are key, especially bc I can't sit in front of the xbox all day like I used to anymore lol

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Why can I destroy someone in the first game but then lose horribly in the next two matches in kl?
I'm in the same boat. Even tho I win the first 1-2, or even 3, or 4 matches, I keep losing at the next matches.

Dunno why, but it highly matters that you keep concentrated on this very match and to keep your fundamentals in work. IMO, it's best to consult high tier players to exploit your weaknesses.

For me, my own weakness is the blocking and how to get outta there. I just don't know when to attack back. Another weakness is how to properly bait someone, even tho I found out about my gameplay there by baiting my opponents' FB to intentionally force them to temporary lose it before I act accordingly. Same goes for the other FGs.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
To me it's a matter of time, I barely have time to play my 5 league matches a day and some days I don't play at all. So when I lose that's my excuse. When I win I'm obviously the more skilled player.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I woke up thinking about my progress since the game launched. And of course I see a major difference and I think people I play against see it too, but then I just started feeling like I'm not where I want to be skill-wise. That I should be better. So, I sort of felt ashamed of where I was, that it just wasn't good enough.

I think it's that exact mindset that hinders progress and learning because essentially, we're forcing progress or forcing knowledge of something we don't even know yet. Instead of figuring out where we are, and working on what we have trouble with, we imagine where we could be without actually knowing how to get there. When you want to get through a path, you need to see it and you need to physically take that first step on that path. If you don't know where you are, you'll get lost. If you don't know what you need to work on, you'll never improve.

I'm telling this to everyone who feels discouraged of where they are right now skill-wise because I saw this way of thinking in me and my first thought was 'alright, you need to take this thought and delete the shit out of it.' We all need to train what we know we have trouble with - and trust me, everyone knows what they lack. And slowly but surely, if we're consistent, then that progress will come and it'll show.
You just gotta play and put thought to it.
If you're learning from your losses you're good.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I’m kinda just taking it easy until Nightwolf drops. Most of the rest of the DLC I’ll be putting time into, but Nightwolf is MY character.

I will say though, taking a long 3 week break helped A LOT. I’m playing way better than I was before I took the break. I’m not overthinking anything, playing more solid, etc. So maybe a break is in order.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
as much like equal as real life sports, training sessions are your best friend, along with matches replay, to help you to improve your overall skill level in this game ....

putting training and effort, sure is , they key to evolve, anyway ....

there is an inherent factor : some people are open to development, while others, not .... while some people has skill and talent to get better through major effort and constant training, others, unfortunatelly, have limitations, and they cannot surpass some skill level degree , no matter what, and no matter how much time and training effort they put daily ....

this phenomena is pretty weird bizarre, but is for real: you can see it in any competitive actitivity around you, in sports, MMA fights, etc .... some people somehow can constantly envolve , while others, just get stagnate to some maximum point they can reach, and not beyond that :eek:

.... the real cause of this, it's still a great mistery for mankind, hehe :p

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Fighting Games have a plateau naturally because the end game is "learning" the opponent.

You can know frames, distances, hitboxes etc.

But the end game is learning to deal with the opponent and make educated guesses.

Thus.... your skill at guessing is put to the test :)

trufenix

bye felicia
I've been avoiding getting married to a character to keeps things interesting and learn new things about matchups.

My Sub Zero is cold garbage, but the process has kept me from getting too far in my own head about random fatal / krushing blow related losses and getting reverse 2-0'd by Scorpions and Noob Saibots.

Plus I can always switch back to a main and clean house if I need an ego boost.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You just gotta play and put thought to it.
If you're learning from your losses you're good.
Let me tell you one great thing about this game. The greatest feature of this game is it has replays. I just now realised what bad decisions I make when watching my replays. It is ridiculously eye opening.
yep learning from loses and match replays is the best teaching tool.
I’m kinda just taking it easy until Nightwolf drops. Most of the rest of the DLC I’ll be putting time into, but Nightwolf is MY character.

I will say though, taking a long 3 week break helped A LOT. I’m playing way better than I was before I took the break. I’m not overthinking anything, playing more solid, etc. So maybe a break is in order.
That's a good point, I sometimes mess up combos when I overthink. But when I'm not stressed, or even when I'm talking to someone and playing then I can do them flawlessly.

trufenix

bye felicia
Let me tell you one great thing about this game. The greatest feature of this game is it has replays. I just now realised what bad decisions I make when watching my replays. It is ridiculously eye opening.
The next feature ALL fighters need is a super robust replay channel like SF4 (eventually) got.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
yep learning from loses and match replays is the best teaching tool.

That's a good point, I sometimes mess up combos when I overthink. But when I'm not stressed, or even when I'm talking to someone and playing then I can do them flawlessly.
Those are indeed true. For first part, I always remember what did I do wrong, and then move on to a different approach, because I can notice even the slightest. Usually, we can do workarounds mid-match, but sometimes they don't work at all.

Best way to flawlessly do the combos is to practice them non-stop till your hands get used to them. Here's a hint, that's been around martial arts: "Train your body and with your mind program your body to do what you want, and then run some tests/spare trainings to see if they work." This worked for me. I can do the combos without thinking at all.