What's new

Arcade Place Ideas and or ifno

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Ok, i have been thinking about opening up an arcade like place in my area in milwaukee.
theres hardly if any of that stuff here.

i was thinking having LAN hookups, with ps3 and xbox 360 setups with asus monitors.
i need info and or ideas for pricing/games to have/to rent and not to rent controllers...and anything else you guys can suggest.
definitely have sodas and maybe popcorn and pizza, maybe burgers?

please advice.

thanks

aj1701

Noob
Not to kill a dream, but there's a reason they're aren't many left, people don't want to go anymore.

Anyway, if games are at all similar to videos, you pay a lot more for the right to rent out a game than you would just to own it on your own. Maybe not though I may be way off :)

As a customer I wouldn't expect to bring my own controller, I'd probably want the price included for the cost of playing the game. It'd also be cool to have actualy arcade cabinents if you want to bring back the nostalgic feeling.

A friend of mine runs a LAN cafe, word of advice, take it or leave it. Do NOT open one if your goal is for the love of a game or genre, it will fail. Especially fighting games which are trash for this sort of thing. If you're going to open one do it to make money.

The money will mostly come in from PC games. Starcraft, Counter Strike, what have you. PC is where the money is at and PC is where true competitive video gaming actually is. Consoles remain a joke here. If you're doing consoles, everything that isn't Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, or Smash Brothers is going to be a massively and catastrophic failure, and even those are debatable.

PC gamers are the type that will go for LANs, not only is the speed better for 1v1s, but high end PCs can be pricey, and furthermore you can give a 5 man counter strike or 12 man BF team a place to all be together and have the same pings, that's what people are paying for. You can add income by using your "staff" and you should have a dedicated IT dude to run the network and that's going to run you 30-60k a year depending on how good of one you get, to do PC repairs, PC building, and even basic network trouble shooting. That brings in cash. You can also bring in more cash by stocking higher quality PC components than what you see at best buy, and even offering to build PCs for people.

Consoles are stale here. For one they don't spend as much and you can't sell them upgrades and periferals at the same rate as you can PC gamers. And 1v1 games = sure as shit fail for a business model unless it's Starcraft (again, PC) since you can't add the team aspect. At best you'll need to host birthday parties for kids on consoles so their parents can get away from them. Fighting gamers are the worst and will only show up for tournaments, demand all sorts of shit, and then not show up on the other days and pay to play.

Snacks are where your $$$$ is, but gamers are cheap and will want to buy outside food, so you need to have a rule on no outside food in the center and if you leave to get food you give up your station. Also work out a deal with the local food joints for discounts when ordered from your store so you can get a cut of it, they will work with you.

Renting controller is silly, let people bring their own, you don't want to go down that road. Arcade cabinets are nice, but fighting games are a minority of gamers, and an even tinier of minority of gamers that will pay to play at a cafe, and they are cheap bastards. You're putting a machine in there that won't get much use and will cause a ton of "put it on free play for a tournament" hassles which you don't want.

Also the ASUS monitors = fail for this sort of thing. The type of people that will spend money to play console games are more likely to do it on big screens. Look at some 50inch or greater plasmas, that's what people want. Any computer station can have a console hooked up to it as all modern monitors will have HDMI and if not DVI is the same as HDMI and you can convert it easy enough.

If you have the ability, get a website, make sure you higher someone to work there who can do this. Use him to also charge for website design and graphic design.

I'm pretty sure my friend is pulling well over 100k when all is said and done after paying people and the costs to run his. But the kicker is he isn't out to promote a specific game, platform, genre, he doesn't give a shit. He went with what works and it's doing well. It's really more of a PC gaming center/cyber cafe with 3x 60inch plus console stations, that does PC repair, TV installs, web/graphic design and it works well. The only "cab" he has there is one I let him borrow (no more room in the apartment) and it's stuck on freeplay.