What's new

Any Stat Geeks Want to Help Me Out?

totheark

Shazzy's Senpai
So I suck at Stats and so do all of my classmates and I really want to get this down. We were given the task of running an experiment and showing proper testing and conclusions. The focus was on getting an experiment going rather than coming up with amazing data.

I was testing two routes to see which was the fastest route to take from one point to the other and tested each twice on the first and last weekend of the month; chosen at random. One of the routes is by freeway, and the other by street. the only test I could've really done is a 2-Sample T-Test.

Here are snippets of my data:
TESTS
2-Sample T-Test
-The null hypothesis is that the freeway route is the fastest route to take rather than the street route.
-I tested to see if there was a significant difference in between these two groups against the null hypothesis which was that these two routes take up the same amount of time. I tested to see if there was a difference.
DATA
Sample 1: n=2 mean=928 seconds St. Dev.= 45.2548 seconds St. Mean=32 seconds
Sample 2: n=2 mean=1122 seconds St. Dev.=156.9777 seconds St. Mean=111 seconds
Stats 1: 960 seconds; 896 seconds
Stats 2: 1011 seconds; 1233 seconds
Observed Difference: (S1-S2)=194 seconds
St. Dev. of Difference=115.5206 seconds
UNEQUAL VARIANCES
D.F.=1
95% Confidence Interval for the Difference=(-1661.8278, 1273.8278)
T-Value=-1.6794
Population 1 (does not =) Population 2: P-Value=.342
EQUAL VARIANCES
95% Confidence Interval for the Difference=(-691.0505, 303.0505)
T-Value=-1.6794
Population 1 (does not =) Population 2: P-Value=.235
CONCLUSIONS
From my test, we cannot prove that these two populations are different due to inadequate trials; however, based off the averages of both samples, we can see that Route 1 is quite faster than Route 2 based off predicted times and observed times.
Our P-Value was greater than .05 so we cannot reject the null.
Am I doing this right? In reality, there is a difference between the times each route takes but based off the test, there isn't strong evidence to suggest that at an alpha level of .05. What do?