What's new

Any advice on how to deal with violent Autistic kid...

Zerg

Main: Rain
I am a tutor, I've been tutoring for over 6 years. And a couple days ago I was asked to tutor a kid with Autism. He has full-blown Autism, I've tutored children with mild Autism but I've never tutored anyone who has it this bad. He can't even speak properly and occasionally gets violent, 20 minutes into the first session and he stabbed me with his pencil. Anyway, if anyone has any advice or knows someone with Autism and how to deal with it. Please let me know.

Thank You!

You got to get them to trust you. Be heir friend, you have to be patient and once they're comfortable the outbursts won't be as bad.

A girl in my speech class volunteered with kids with disabilities, it happens, but it takes time to build that trust.

Since I have 3 autistic siblings, I know exactly how some autistic people will act. Personally, I would recommend finding him something that calms him down/ makes him happy. Also he will need to get comfortable being around you as well bcuz he doesn't know you too well and autistic children alot of the times are used to certain schedules and/or patterns during their day.