What's new

Anxiety?

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Anyone else get really nervous/anxious when playing online? I'd say I'm a pretty good player but no matter who I'm playing, I just start getting nervous that I'm not going to do well or that I'm going to mess up and get completely blown up and that people will think I'm a bad player. My heart beats a bit faster, my palms get a bit moister, and my muscles get a slight shake. Anyone else have this problem?
I'm wondering if there's something I can take for this, but taking a pill for anxiety while playing online sounds really stupid.

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
don't take online serious and you'll be fine .... seriousness, only offline.
That's the thing. I don't take it as seriously as it'd seem. I had a nice, casual KOTH match just a few minutes ago and I had a few laughs, but I was still anxious about it.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
LOL..sometimes this happens to me. I get anxious right before it's my turn, but while I'm playing it stops. I like to win rather if it's online or off so yea lol.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
That's the thing. I don't take it as seriously as it'd seem. I had a nice, casual KOTH match just a few minutes ago and I had a few laughs, but I was still anxious about it.
It's due to the ego and vanity .... we think we are exceptional good, and we have fear of losing in this game .... that's bad.

Even the best players in the world, trying their best, manage to loss, because, it's theorically impossible to keep winning all the time, you cannot emule the perfect execution in this game every single time, sometimes, your opponent can be faster, and hit first, and , hit better .... and even you doing your best, you lose.

When you work on into your mind the feeling about accepting losing, you are free.

hehe :D

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
It's due to the ego and vanity .... we think we are exceptional good, and we have fear of losing in this game .... that's bad.

Even the best players in the world, trying their best, manage to loss, because, it's theorically impossible to keep winning all the time, you cannot emule the perfect execution in this game every single time, sometimes, your opponent can be faster, and hit first, and , hit better .... and even you doing your best, you lose.

When you work on into your mind the feeling about accepting losing, you are free.

hehe :D
I wish to be free.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Holy shit, I'd never thought I'd be able to link the psychology of competitive gaming to attracting women but damn... What you're describing sounds so similar to the fear of rejection.

You know what you're doing. You've done well before! When push comes to shove, though, you start to fear the worst out come and from there it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think the cure for this may ALSO be the same cure as "rejection" fear. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. I don't mean online either. Go to local tournements and EXPECT to lose 0-2. Expect it and do it with confidence knowing that next time you'll do better!

I hope this doesn't sound as ridiculous as it felt writing it, haha.

You think getting sweaty palms is bad? Whenever I play mk I start shitting uncontrollably, I scream randomly, and when I lose I cry. This is against the CPU. I fear if I don't do my best the cpu will judge me and call me a scrub. Thus why I'm only allowed to play mk for 30 minutes a week.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
You think getting sweaty palms is bad? Whenever I play mk I start shitting uncontrollably, I scream randomly, and when I lose I cry. This is against the CPU. I fear if I don't do my best the cpu will judge me and call me a scrub. Thus why I'm only allowed to play mk for 30 minutes a week.
wow !! lol , haha !! :D :D

Buffalo

Bison of Beat Downs
Holy shit, I'd never thought I'd be able to link the psychology of competitive gaming to attracting women but damn... What you're describing sounds so similar to the fear of rejection.

You know what you're doing. You've done well before! When push comes to shove, though, you start to fear the worst out come and from there it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think the cure for this may ALSO be the same cure as "rejection" fear. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE. I don't mean online either. Go to local tournements and EXPECT to lose 0-2. Expect it and do it with confidence knowing that next time you'll do better!

I hope this doesn't sound as ridiculous as it felt writing it, haha.
Sounds legit.

aj1701

Noob
I do only when I play people here. I don't want to play super scrubby, I at least want to play in a way I feel is respectible. Also sometimes I think I'm boring my opponent, which is a problem b/c I want to play the other person again to hopefully improve my own game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Problem solved:

I heard a quote somewhere about drinking that I live by. "Don't drink to feel better, drink to feel more better". That goes for any drug. Don't use it to escape reality, use it to amplify reality. Don't use drugs because you can't handle something, that will just lead to abuse.

Anyway ON TOPIC: Take deep breaths and control your breathing. Seriously, try it out. Also, analyze your opponents style. To not fill your head with petty emotions or thoughts, start thinking about how your opponent is playing and what you can do to counter him. This will allow you to improve while not getting pressure from not performing well. One of the hardest things to master outside of actual gameplay is controlling your nerves. You can play so well online in you PJ's in a comfortable atmosphere. Then those same people choke at tournaments because of pressure they're just not used to. Trust me, take deep breaths. Get into a zone and focus. It just depends on your experience with pressure and playing in front of a crowd of people. So that's why it's really encouraged to make it to your local tournaments. The best experience outside of majors is your locals. You just have to SHOW UP!

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Drinking to get over anxiety, who are you, [MENTION=433]DanCock[/MENTION]?

Daaammnnnn :)

Tim Static

Adminerator
I heard a quote somewhere about drinking that I live by. "Don't drink to feel better, drink to feel more better". That goes for any drug. Don't use it to escape reality, use it to amplify reality. Don't use drugs because you can't handle something, that will just lead to abuse.
Yes!

Anyway ON TOPIC: Take deep breaths and control your breathing. Seriously, try it out. Also, analyze your opponents style. To not fill your head with petty emotions or thoughts, start thinking about how your opponent is playing and what you can do to counter him. This will allow you to improve while not getting pressure from not performing well. One of the hardest things to master outside of actual gameplay is controlling your nerves. You can play so well online in you PJ's in a comfortable atmosphere. Then those same people choke at tournaments because of pressure they're just not used to. Trust me, take deep breaths. Get into a zone and focus. It just depends on your experience with pressure and playing in front of a crowd of people.
YES! Exactly. QFT. Its ALL about your breathing...always always always.

Drinking to get over anxiety, who are you, [MENTION=433]DanCock[/MENTION]?

Daaammnnnn :)
Now who do you think taught Dan this? :coffee:

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
My palms start to sweat, my pupils dilate, and my knuckles turn white every time i start up a multiplayer match. I honestly kind of hate it, after 3 matches it becomes more stressful than fun....

Justice

Noob
Just think of online as an AI that actually has a clue. There's noone in the room with you to impress so it's just like going up the ladder or something.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just reread the OP. You're getting nervous while playing online? Damn, you will have a straight panic attack if you play in person. This must be a problem for you younger guys. But still, controlling your breathing and taking deep breaths is universal to controlling nerves/anxiety/emotions etc. Take a deep breath and tell yourself "focus" slowly and softly as you exhale.

Try not to play when you're tired. Try drinking a glass of Tea before playing. I did for the first time at NEC12 after not sleeping saturday and sunday, and it got me up enough to play in MKDC and win my first tourny (Thanks to [MENTION=9393]Sushi[/MENTION] for the idea on the cup of tea!!!)

Does your anxiety fade after a few games? Does it get worse? Don't confuse tiredness with anxiety. That is all. If you are playing, and feeling anxiety, there must be a reason. Resolve that issue, then comeback with a clean face and kick ass.

later.

TogetherLemon

Robot Blueberry
I think it is mostly just an issue for newer people. Even though we know it isn't true, we feel like the world will end if we lose a game online. The only way I learned to fix it is to go into online telling yourself that you are going to lose, and that you accept it. Don't decline challenges and go hunting for people with bad win/loss records, just go against anyone and have a good match.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I always get anxious/nervous when I play in a KOTH with a competitive mindset, and when I play my first match of the day. Consequently, I inevitably ALWAYS lose the latter if I'm playing an intermediate or above player. As for KOTHs, I just avoid them altogether, or only play casually in them with online friends.

Error

DF2+R2
I feel pretty calm when playing online, but still sweat like hell. I guess that's my body's only response to everything, sweat.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
i suffer from this when i go to tournaments. i shake uncontrollably and just feel overwhelmed.

thankfully [MENTION=2]Tim Static[/MENTION] told me to try drinking a little, it worked a lot. i was calmer, relaxed and barely shook.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Anyone else get really nervous/anxious when playing online? I'd say I'm a pretty good player but no matter who I'm playing, I just start getting nervous that I'm not going to do well or that I'm going to mess up and get completely blown up and that people will think I'm a bad player. My heart beats a bit faster, my palms get a bit moister, and my muscles get a slight shake. Anyone else have this problem?
I'm wondering if there's something I can take for this, but taking a pill for anxiety while playing online sounds really stupid.
You speak the truth, Friend Buffalo.

Im glad this thread exists.