What's new

And now, for something completely left-field: Balrog being a white dude in SNES Street Fighters.

Altaire

Noob
This is probably the weirdest, most irrelevant rant I'll ever go on in my entire life, so just bear with me. Alternatively, go back to the topic list and don't bear with me, I guess you could do that if you'd prefer it.

So for whatever reason, I've been on an SF2 kick lately. Nostalgia got the better of me, so I decided to go way back to 1990 and see if I still remember how to rip shit up with Ken and Bison (Dictator, for anyone who insists on being so politically correct). It's been fun, but something stood out to me that I'd never really thought about before:

Why in the FUCK is Balrog a white guy in SF2?

Like, I don't even understand this. He's black in the instruction manual. He's black in all promotional material. He's black in every OTHER game, and he was black in the original SF if you subscribe to the theory that Mike and Balrog are the same character (Balrog's name IS Mike Bison in Japan, and Capcom executives are actually divided on this because no one remembers anymore). I won't even really complain about how arbitrary this is in retrospect: What bothers me most is how fucking stupid Balrog looks as a white guy.

You might be thinking "Huh, I don't remember him looking THAT dumb."

Let this set the tone for what's to come.

Yes, I realize this is incredibly racist by all realistic standards, but fucked if I care. I'm white, everyone is allowed to take jabs at their own ethnicity. If I'm offending anyone here, I apologize in advance; I'm just pointing out something that seems equal parts hilarious and incomprehensibly stupid from the nineties. To be blunt, white Balrog, Balrog circa 1990, just looks fucking dumb. When you see Balrog in SF4, the Capcom vs. games or the Alpha series, you're just like "Okay, cool, so he's a big ripped black dude like Evander Holyfield". We're used to seeing big black dudes in boxing who you would NOT want to fuck with, and that's probably the only saving grace for what is otherwise one of the most bland, boring and all-around unredeemable designs in the SF series: At the very least, he's pretty intimidating.

White Balrog isn't intimidating, man. This is a guy who looks like he can't even spell his own fucking name, how am I supposed to take him seriously? Christ, Blanka looks more literate than this assclown does. I suppose the big issue, beyond the stupid expression on his face, is the fact that he looks like a stereotypical movie thug. This guy looks like that guy who gets bodied by the main guy in every action movie ever made, and that's not helping his case. The best part is the missing teeth: When you see black Balrog's missing teeth, you figure he must've lost that in the ring, and that gives him tough guy cred. When you see white Balrog's missing teeth, you figure him paw musta knocked it outta him for puttin' him seed in they cousin's belly.

The bottom line is, I just don't understand the point of this. Like, what was Capcom going for here? More than that, why would they give him two different ethnicities in the same game? Like, I'm genuinely curious as to how this came about, now. I'm starting to think that someone didn't get the memo that he's black in everything to do with the game that isn't the game itself, and somehow he wound up looking like a hairless orangutan.

Was there a point to this whole rant? No, not in the least; I suppose I just wanted to get this out because it perplexes the shit out of me every time I come up against Balrog in SF2, and because I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about this. I swear I can't be the only one who eventually realized there are two different Balrogs, and thought it was really stupid.

And now, in closing, I'd just like to present you with the crown jewel of Balrog's short-lived stint as a white dude:

Sweet mother of christ, it's countless generations of sibling union at work in my vidya games.

Discuss!

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Have you ever noticed when he wins he's called Barlog?

Loot

the special effects
Now Altair brings his memoirs from GameFAQS here. Go ahead and bring Botzart while you're at it.

Altaire

Noob
Have you ever noticed when he wins he's called Barlog?
See, I knew I was forgetting something. I was going to mention this, but it slipped my mind. The funny part is that the SF2 announcer calls him Balrog, IIRC, but the SSF2 announcer (for SNES version, at least) calls him Barlog.

I'm starting to think that they may have used his likeness for white Balrog.

Now Altair brings his memoirs from GameFAQS here. Go ahead and bring Botzart while you're at it.
...What? How in the fuck is this a memoir from GFAQs? When or where have I EVER talked about this on GFAQs, at any point? I've never even mentioned this on an SF board (hell, I can't recall ever posting on a GFAQs board for any of the SF games), much less on the MK9 board.

I don't even know who the hell you are, for that matter.

Loot

the special effects
See, I knew I was forgetting something. I was going to mention this, but it slipped my mind. The funny part is that the SF2 announcer calls him Balrog, IIRC, but the SSF2 announcer (for SNES version, at least) calls him Barlog.

I'm starting to think that they may have used his likeness for white Balrog.

...What? How in the fuck is this a memoir from GFAQs? When or where have I EVER talked about this on GFAQs, at any point? I've never even mentioned this on an SF board (hell, I can't recall ever posting on a GFAQs board for any of the SF games), much less on the MK9 board.

I don't even know who the hell you are, for that matter.
Your memoir as in your 30 page rants.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Pretty sure he's still black there. He looks black in those pictures. Not all black folks are the exact same shade dude LOL. I mean, just cause Balrog was light skinned in the early game doesn't mean he's a WHITE GUY. Plus, as a young fighting game fan playing SF2 when it was popular... the first time I saw Balrog was when he looked like that, and I thought, "oh a black boxer guy".

Don't know but those images you posted don't look like a caucasian guy to me. Looks more along the lines of a Mulatto or a Quadroon perhaps.

Yeah no he's black. On his own it might look kinda white but line him up with all the other characters and remember the limitations of the day and it was either that, orrrrrrrr about as detailed as Mike Tyson from punch out where he looks like a hershey bar.

Altaire

Noob
Your memoir as in your 30 page rants.
Oh, okay.

I love how you still never specified what your gamertag/XBL name because you know I'll recognize you and immediately understand why you're so butthurt towards me.

Pretty sure he's still black there. He looks black in those pictures. Not all black folks are the exact same shade dude LOL. I mean, just cause Balrog was light skinned in the early game doesn't mean he's a WHITE GUY. Plus, as a young fighting game fan playing SF2 when it was popular... the first time I saw Balrog was when he looked like that, and I thought, "oh a black boxer guy".
There's really no accounting for opinion, but that guy looks very, very white to me. How many black guys do you see with brownish-orange hair? That's British as fuck. Like, there was no doubt in my mind he was a white guy when I first saw him, and when I saw him in SF Alpha, I was so fucking confused.

Yeah no he's black. On his own it might look kinda white but line him up with all the other characters and remember the limitations of the day and it was either that, orrrrrrrr about as detailed as Mike Tyson from punch out where he looks like a hershey bar.
For one, you're comparing a NES game to a SNES game; NES games kind of an had an excuse for it. Two, we're talking about a game where each character has eight distinct color palettes (none of which are reused across multiple characters, as far as I can tell). They can paint Dhalsim and Blanka every color of the rainbow, but they couldn't get Balrog right? I don't buy that.

The thing is, compare this:

To this:

The first pic is his concept art from the same game. Even if you somehow see a black dude in a 16-bit character that is Matthew Perry white, there's no denying that what you see in the first pic is not what you see in the second one.

I'm really pushing the envelope at this point, but like, in-game Balrog even has stereotypical white features. Beady as fuck eyes. High brow. Pointy, rigid nose. Concept art Balrog looks like Michael Clarke Duncan squared. He also looks like he's capable of higher brain functions, which is perhaps the biggest difference between that guy and the retard they put in the actual game.

Even if some of you don't agree that he looked like a white dude in-game, can we at least agree that he looked really fucking dumb?

Loot

the special effects
If I don't play online there is no need to know my gamertag since you wouldn't have played me, correct?

Altaire

Noob
If I don't play online there is no need to know my gamertag since you wouldn't have played me, correct?
Okay then, who are you on GFAQs? I implied that I wanted to know the first time I responded to you, and I'm sure you realized that. QED, still sidesteppin'.

But hey, at least now you won't be able to deny it!

Altaire

Noob
I'm denying nothing. I'm Return of Mercer on LameFAQS, anything else?
Hey, remember when I said that if you gave me your GFAQs username, I'd immediately understand why you're so butthurt?

Well, I was only half right. I understand because you're you, but what I'll never understand is why you can't make one post without coming across as being overly cynical. It's like it's high school and I'm really being forced to read Catcher in the Rye all over again, except now I'm not getting anything for putting up with it. Oh well, at least no one can say you aren't consistent.

Seriously though, what crawled up your ass and died? Lighten up, sunshine. If you don't like my "memoirs", no one was forcing you to read them. This was something I went on a tirade about publicly because I thought "I find this whole inconsistency pretty funny, maybe some of these other guys would get a kick out of it". I figured the most appropriate place to post it would be a board populated by fighting game players, and so that's where I posted it. More than that, this is in an off-topic forum. I didn't go get this stickied on the main page, I didn't post it in the middle of pressing debate about Kung Lao or Mileena or glitches or Tom Brady, I posted an irrelevant topic in a board dedicated to irrelevant topics. There was really no need for you to run in and here and make some snide remark about bringing Botzart over here, as if that's in any way relative to what I posted. Bottom line: If you don't want to read my topics, don't read my topics. There's nothing stopping you from avoiding the puddle.

Above and beyond all that, stop coming across as a bitter, misanthropic fuck for no apparent reason. I can't remember ever starting with you or seeing anyone start with you on GFAQs, yet you have the same condescending, antagonistic tone in every post you make. I can't imagine it's doing you any favors, really. Again, lighten up. If it will add some color to your canvas, I can try to see about getting a fund going to buy you a hooker or something. Plenty of people chipped in to send REO to Evo, so I'm sure they'd be sympathetic to your cause.

Loot

the special effects
Please, its not my fault literally nobody on that website knows what they are talking about so I simply correct them, then I have to get on the defensive because they are wrong and try to question my knowledge. I know plenty of people chipped in to send REO to EVO, I donated 50, just so you know. My canvas is fine, I've contributed lots on here and that website. I'm condescending on GameFAQS because I factually know I am more knowledgeable than the posters there.

Altaire

Noob
Please, its not my fault literally nobody on that website knows what they are talking about so I simply correct them, then I have to get on the defensive because they are wrong and try to question my knowledge. I know plenty of people chipped in to send REO to EVO, I donated 50, just so you know. My canvas is fine, I've contributed lots on here and that website. I'm condescending on GameFAQS because I factually know I am more knowledgeable than the posters there.
All of them, huh? Pray tell, what's the extent of your offline experience in MK9? How many tournies have you gone to, and how well have you placed? If you don't play online and you don't participate in the tourney scene at least somewhat-actively, this will get a whole lot funnier.

Sweet man, you're more knowledgeable than most of the GFAQs userbase, as if that's in any way commendable. I can say the same, but you still don't see me talking down to people for no apparent reason (I'm preempting a weak potshot, here). I'm not afraid to go off on someone if I think they have it coming to them, but you have a superiority complex because you know a video game better than the peanut gallery that comprises GFAQs' userbase. Bravo, son. I'll bet you'd pat yourself on the back if you sat in on a second grade class and showed everyone's shit in a spelling bee, too.

Get over yourself. I will fully admit to having something of an ego, but you make a guy like me look like Ghandi.

P.S. You missed the point entirely when I said you ought to have more color on your canvas, so good on you.

Loot

the special effects
I acknowledged my canvas, calm your tits. It was a simple joke on your long ass rants.

Altaire

Noob
No answer as to what the extent of your competitive experience is.

Well ain't that just the darnedest thing?