What's new

General/Other - Blood God An Idealist's Dream for Blood God

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Let me preface this and say that I don't want to include universal buffs for parts of Kotal Kahn's kit (abysmal recovery on Offering/Sun Ray, awkwardness of his normals, etc) because those are already known problems and I'll be disappointed if they aren't addressed in the future. This is just how I want to make Blood God more unique and appealing.

----

So, I kind of wanted to start this as a 'Kotal Kahn Buff Wishlist' thread mostly to make fun of the other threads in that same vein, but that hardly seemed productive of anyone's time. As someone who was tremendously excited for Kotal Kahn as I'm sure many others were, I'm also sure that many others were incredibly disappointed with what we got, for different reasons. I wanted to make a discussion about giving Blood God buffs that he needs, but... what can you give him? What does that change to solve the issue of nobody wants to play him? What would make him more interesting?

I sort of ruminated on it while playing him in practice mode, just sort of dabbling with totems, and then it hit me when I realized that his Obsidian Totem reduces the damage taken by Blood Offering.

What if we made his totems revolve around the rest of his moveset?

And by that I mean, augmenting his totems to perform different functions rather than just being flat duration buffs -- let's give them a more tangible reason to want to use them, to differentiate them outside of "take less damage, do more damage, and a bugged totem that doesn't do anything" :DOGE

So, I thought about it for a while, and here's what I came up with in an attempt to give him more diverse usage and a more provoking thought pattern as you play the character, without changing him radically.

------------------

Blood Totem feels like it should have some connection to Blood Offering. Now, what I propose for him is that while Blood Totem is active, Blood Offering will take 15% health from Kotal Kahn, but give him 2 or 3 hits of armor for [X] seconds. In addition, the damage caused by Blood Offering is caused AFTER the totem expires or his armor is broken to give him an attempt to mitigate the damage that it will cause after it times out. This gives him the armor that this variation so desperately needs, as well as providing him his standard absurd damage, but at a higher cost. I think this is the most interesting totem just by virtue of how you (theoretically) interact with it, assuming it's fixed in the foreseeable future.

Obsidian Totem already has a useful function in that it both provides a defensive boost and a reduction in the cost of Blood Offering itself (a little less than 7%). I don't really know what all to do with this totem, to be honest; it's more "in tune" with his move set, but I'd like to propose something anyway. While active, his air throw gains immunity frames on its startup; this gives him a very good sense of baiting out jumps and makes you want to approach him from the ground, where he can threaten you with his good-reaching normals and powerful pokes.

Crystal Totem, is where I would add a condition to his parry. The parry would be buffed so as to stagger anything that it currently parries. This solidifies Crystal Totem as a flexible, punishment-oriented totem with a clear bonus to punishing a stray poke or an enemy's attempt to start rushing you down and the reward for keeping your enemy held down with chip damage. To compensate for the improved parry, I think the damage buff from the totem itself should be reduced.

(Going a little further, I'd actually suggest that the damage from Crystal Totem be reduced even more in favor of buffs to things like Blood Offering where you gain more hits to make up for the damage loss but with having to take a risk, or Sun Disc, where it might start up faster or stagger on hit instead of being a knockdown vs grounded opponents/anyone if he EX's it for a standing reset. Or, you could do something with Sun Ray where anything Kotal does while inside of it will activate and recover faster for a conditional speed buff while the Totem is active, but this might be better suited to Obsidian. So many possibilities.)

------------------

That's really it. I just wanted to post my thoughts on what we could do to make Blood God's totems more engaging. I don't think any of it's necessary but it's what I'd like to see. Thanks for the read. Maybe I'll do something for Sun God soon.

Belial

Noob
Despite the fact that theres already a billion of buff threads i like the creativity behind your ideas. If NRS had people like you in their team they might have come up with a better game.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
what blood god needs are improvements on things that are generally universal. I just wanted to see if this would be more interesting to play as/against but this is just stuff I'd only ever see in a dream.

qwark why don't you go rub some whip cream on yourself

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I think the only things blood god needs are buffs to parry and blood totem. I really see no point to blood totem the way it is.

With obsidian totem, I think it's already pretty good. I put it out when they're low on life and don't need crystal totem to kill. It prevents them from making a comeback as easily.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I always liked the suggestion for giving armor after using a totem, maybe meterburn totem gives1 hit of armor for bloodtotem? Also more recovery on god ray when meterburned. Both need meter so i think thats fair.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think the only things blood god needs are buffs to parry and blood totem. I really see no point to blood totem the way it is.

With obsidian totem, I think it's already pretty good. I put it out when they're low on life and don't need crystal totem to kill. It prevents them from making a comeback as easily.
Blood Totem just doesn't work right, or at all. Only standing 1 and 2 attacks will drain meter and sometimes they cause no change at all, and everything else still gives them meter. It needs to be fixed, and then it should probably drain meter on block like every other meter drain move.

I agree Obsidian totem is useful, that's why I didn't really know what to do with it. It's probably his best totem to be honest.

This isn't really a thread asking for this stuff; it's just how I'd have done it if I had the chance

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
What's your deal man? It seems like you're having a hard time coming to the conclusion that just because he has one viable variation that the other don't need some help.
he's mad because im playing kotal now

also it'd be tight if blood totem gave you a free armor hit that lasts a certain amount of time depending on the damage you deal with it out

(im basically asking for lex's trait)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This is a fool's dream.

I'm all for it.

---
he's mad because im playing kotal now

also it'd be tight if blood totem gave you a free armor hit that lasts a certain amount of time depending on the damage you deal with it out

(im basically asking for lex's trait)
I miss Lex so much.

-One of the 5 people who actually used him

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
this isn't a buff discussion, don't confuse it for one
I think it is clear that you meant this thread to be "how would you make Blood God more creative and interesting, particularly with respect to the use of his totems?"

I also think it is equally clear that this thread will be interpreted by virtually everyone who enters it as "Buff Kotal thread - version 10.0"

Life on the internet . . .

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I always liked the suggestion for giving armor after using a totem, maybe meterburn totem gives1 hit of armor for bloodtotem? Also more recovery on god ray when meterburned. Both need meter so i think thats fair.
I basically agree with this. It would add so much to Blood God's ultimate viability if he had some way to induce armor.

His totems are very good, but he just needs a little help opening people up, even if his mix-up game remains mediocre. (To be honest, his mixup game probably should be mediocre, or he would likely be OP)

Doing something as simple as giving him 1 hit of armor for enhancing either Blood totem or Obsidian totem with a bar of meter would make a huge difference.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
------------------

Blood Totem feels like it should have some connection to Blood Offering. Now, what I propose for him is that while Blood Totem is active, Blood Offering will take 15% health from Kotal Kahn, but give him 2 or 3 hits of armor for [X] seconds. In addition, the damage caused by Blood Offering is caused AFTER the totem expires or his armor is broken to give him an attempt to mitigate the damage that it will cause after it times out. This gives him the armor that this variation so desperately needs, as well as providing him his standard absurd damage, but at a higher cost. I think this is the most interesting totem just by virtue of how you (theoretically) interact with it, assuming it's fixed in the foreseeable future.
I actually kind of love this idea. Good stuff.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
I feel like any kind of free armor would just make Kotal OP as hell. Mainly because of F2. With a free hit of armor couldnt he just armored F2 through any kind of footsies from range and hit for 30+ at will?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I just took a look at the blood god variation after having played only sun god.

I don't see why this variation is bad. I thought his totems were something that required an actual setup, these things need less than 35 frames to come out? That's pretty much subzero's ice aura, you slap it on whenever you fucking want.

His damage and chip is amazing with crystal totem, this char doesn't look like he needs shit.

More vids coming, I think this variation is extremely underrated.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I just took a look at the blood god variation after having played only sun god.

I don't see why this variation is bad. I thought his totems were something that required an actual setup, these things need less than 35 frames to come out? That's pretty much subzero's ice aura, you slap it on whenever you fucking want.

His damage and chip is amazing with crystal totem, this char doesn't look like he needs shit.

More vids coming, I think this variation is extremely underrated.
I've probably played something like 70% blood god, 20% sun god, and 10% war god since launch. I go back and forth on blood god's viability, myself. I believe it was @Crayraven who put it very well: Blood god embodies the extreme. He tends to either completely destroy his opponent or get thoroughly bodied. And you are entirely correct, getting totems on the screen is no issue at all. Blood God is a devastating whiff-punisher who can take the round with one punish. His damage (due to crystal totem), his endurance (due to the obsidian totem and sun ray heals), and his overall control of the relative lifebars of himself and his opponent are unquestionably game-changing.

As with any whiff-punisher, Blood God's success hinges on eventually opening up people by capitalizing on their mistakes, carelessness, and reckless aggression. In my opinion, one of Blood God's biggest issues is that he is extremely susceptible to being rushed down . . . and in this game, that can be a major problem. He doesn't have anything akin to armored Sun Choke or ex-overhead sword to get someone off of him. I believe he was designed with the conception that mace parry would serve as his defensive go to move, but I'm not sure it is quite good enough to appropriately fill that all-important role.

Having made my reservations about him abundantly clear, I believe he is inherently dangerous in the right hands, and undeniably, his footsie-oriented, whiff-punishing style heavily rewards good fundamentals, and that, in theory, should afford him some definite advantages in high level play.

edit: I'll also add that I've been having substantially more success with him lately. I think that's a good sign for his ultimate viability, because I believe one thing all viable characters have in common is that they reward competent, fundamental play based on prudent blocking and spacing. And as I have begun (just begun, I have a LONG way to go) to pick up the fundamentals of MKX, I have noticed that Blood God feels better and better.

Last edited:
Reactions: RYX

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I feel like any kind of free armor would just make Kotal OP as hell. Mainly because of F2. With a free hit of armor couldnt he just armored F2 through any kind of footsies from range and hit for 30+ at will?
I don't think it would be OP AS LONG AS it required a bar of meter. That's the key. Yeah, Kotal has insanely damaging combos off of F2 and giving him 1 hit of armor would potentially give him easy access to destruction. However, virtually all of those insanely damaging combos require Ex-air throw. And as any Kotal main will tell you, Kotal tends to struggle to build meter (particularly in Sun God, which is why Sun God has Sun Scorch). So, making him have to spend a bar of meter for 1 hit of armor would undeniably limit his big punish opportunities. And, as currently constructed, Kotal is all about the big punish.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
With blood offering and crystal totem active, a blocked F34 ex-sun stone does over 11% in just chip. I remember laughing when I first saw that.

Last edited: