What's new

Amplified (EX, MB) moves — Universal inputs are back

The irony of people smashing us for wanting the unique inputs for mb back. When they are clearly the ones that petitioned for it to be reverted back to normal.
You all realize the exact thing you’re criticizing us for is just precisely what you guys complained about in the first place.
No -- they don't... And that's the most concerning aspect for the future of our species.
(NB: They may breed... /!\)

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
I think every character should have the same strings and special move commands because any sort of variation in inputs is too overly complicated and unnecessary.

All strings should be 1,1,1 and 2,2,2 and 3,3,3 and 4,4,4 and every special move should be a down forward that way we don’t have artificial difficulty right guys, learning things that require memory is stupid, we should be able to master the entire cast on day one.

You know what, scrap the entire game, if NRS really wants to listen to fans they should buy out Foozies and rename it MK11

They should have no 1-2 frame links and just have target combos. Also Supers should be two buttons instead of QCF,QCF :p

Just for the note im not bashing people who wanted it kept the same. I still want the option available to choose. I just have a problem when people think that any change making inputs easier equals catering to the filthy casuals.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I think every character should have the same strings and special move commands because any sort of variation in inputs is too overly complicated and unnecessary.

All strings should be 1,1,1 and 2,2,2 and 3,3,3 and 4,4,4 and every special move should be a down forward that way we don’t have artificial difficulty right guys, learning things that require memory is stupid, we should be able to master the entire cast on day one.
Sounds like Smash and DBFZ.

Reactions: JDM

Ceroder

Noob
I dont get it. I get amplification for more damage afterwards like Skarlet's parry, but for example, how do you amplify Jade's shadow kick? Do you do it at the same time like before, or do you shadow kick and immediately press R1?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I dont get it. I get amplification for more damage afterwards like Skarlet's parry, but for example, how do you amplify Jade's shadow kick? Do you do it at the same time like before, or do you shadow kick and immediately press R1?
Yes, you press the button AFTER the special move input to amplify it.

Supposedly it's the Injustice system now where you do it during the start up of the move. So the latter.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
You know, I get why some people like added complexity. Most games are meant to be challenging (what's the point of playing if you don't have to put effort in or are just handed "Mission Accomplished" or "XYZ Wins").

And I'm not advocating for MK 11 to "easy mode" or anything, and in it's current states, it seems sufficiently difficult.

The thing is, though, when does challenging become a significant barrier to entry-level play? When does it start to overshadow the fun factor?

Tournament and hardcore players may have the necessary time, reflexes, and muscle memory to master amplification inputs for more than one character. But what about players that have full-time jobs, families, outside responsibilities, which prohibits the investiture of time into a video game. Or even players that are older and thus less adept and adapting to a new and ultimately unnecessary mechanic when it comes to gameplay? Are they just SoL?

I wouldn't mind if NRS put the amplification codes back in as an option for those looking for an extra challenge. But when it comes to basic mechanics and easing the learning curve in the name of more players having more fun, I think relative simplicity should be the goal.

I'll be honest, I'll be 30 in just a few short months, and I can already tell that my reflexes and ability to remember complex commands has diminished slightly. Not like I'm drooling from my mouth and staring at the ceiling like I'm 116 years old, but my thumbs don't glide across the sticks like they used to and I don't always hit the right button at the right tim, despite playing video games my whole life. Plus, while I don't have kids, I do work every day and can usually only devote so many hours to gaming in a given week.

A part of me was afraid the amplification codes might lock me out of the game, or at least hamper my enjoyment of it. But with it back to the old system, I feel more comfortable about my chances of picking up more than one character and being successful.

So, thanks NRS. I get the need for experimentation, and this would be a nice option, but I'm happy it's not required as of now.

Just my $0.02.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yes, but the commands are the same for every character. Which was your very first sentence, lol.
My sentence implied that that those were the only commands. There are multiple fighting games with easy command options, but they aren the only commands and are often suboptimal.

trufenix

bye felicia
Supposedly it's the Injustice system now where you do it during the start up of the move. So the latter.
there is no system. Special moves, strings, even movement all get amplified now, only instead of with the button or attack that makes sense input wise, you just do it with r1.

instead of 1,1,1 its now 1,1, r1
instead of b,f+2, f+2 it's b,f+2, r1
instead of d,f+1+2, it's d+f+1+r1

so easy someone who will literally never play the game and just bitch on forums could do it.

But it was never that.

b,f+2, f+2 may have been for scorpion if he's doing a overhead smash as the amplified move.

But it may have been b,f+2, d+1 for sub if he's doing a low sweep on the amplify. Or b,f+2, b+3 if he does a roundhouse knockdown on amplify.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
there is no system. Special moves, strings, even movement all get amplified now, only instead of with the button or attack that makes sense input wise, you just do it with r1.

instead of 1,1,1 its now 1,1, r1

so easy someone who will literally never play the game and just bitch on forums could do it.
The idea of having to do a contextual attack after doing a previous attack is insane.

Next you’re going to tell me that we’ll have to do that with a string of normal attacks(huh, “string” has a nice ring to it, I think i’ll call them that), and characters will have +10 of them each.

Something insane like 1,1, d1, could you IMAGINE that being in a fighting game let alone an NRS fighter? Nobody would be able to do that, and what if a completely different character had 1,1, b1? You wouldn’t be able to play both because nobody has a brain big enough to remember two different “strings” on two different characters.

Since they realize what’s too complicated I’m sure instead of “strings” they mad it so just hitting r1 after doing a normal makes your character do an attack or series of attacks devoid of any context or engagement. The idea doing one attack and being instructed to press b4 afterwards to lead into some sort of sweep attack, fucking beyond comprehension. UNNECESSARY.

I think if I inject anymore sarcasm into this my brain will slide out of my skull.

trufenix

bye felicia
But it was never that.

b,f+2, f+2 may have been for scorpion if he's doing a overhead smash as the amplified move.

But it may have been b,f+2, d+1 for sub if he's doing a low sweep on the amplify. Or b,f+2, b+3 if he does a roundhouse knockdown on amplify.
It's irrelevant now, the change is made. But, my examples were from the in game movelist, I already learned them, I already understood them. Yours were made up to prove a hypothetical point. THAT is why it should not have been changed.

Yours were made up to prove a hypothetical point.
Made up yes, but far from hypothetical. They were based on actual combinations that were in the game at that point.

Going back and looking at a movelist for scorpion. One of his amplified moves is D+LB (in air), then rapidly pressing X, another is DF+1, U+1. Neither of which conform to your examples of repeating the previous action.

I think if they did as you described then there wouldn't have been as much of a backlash.

But yes, it is all irrelevant now.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
As a stick played I liked it, but I understand for everyone else it probably wasn't ideal.

Being put on the interact button so I can do 1+2 for MB might work out. We shall see.

RoGE

Noob
And absolutely nothing of value was lost by implementing this change. It shouldn't be about how you do it but when. Execution should only be as hard as it NEEDS to be in fighting games for them to be good.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, it isn't a matter of execution being easier, this is more so memorization. People actually believe this will prevent people like sonicfox from constantly switching between characters and counter picking which couldn't be further from the truth lol.

Last edited:

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
I guess I'm still a little scarred from the sf4 to sfv transition. I've mentioned it before. For me, it's not about feeling elite or superior to anyone. It's about me feeling good about myself for hitting that hard (even if unnecessarily complex - which is a subjective term to begin with) combo in usf4/any anime game lol/etc., but not getting that same feeling for doing the same in V because it took me 5 minutes in training mode to learn. So yeah, I guess I like the memorization.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
And absolutely nothing of value was lost by implementing this change. It shouldn't be about how you do it but when. Execution should only be as hard as it NEEDS to be in fighting games for them to be good.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, it isn't a matter of execution being easier, this is more so memorization. People actually believe this will prevent people like sonicfox from constantly switching between characters and counter picking which couldn't be further from the truth lol.
What about most of us who liked it and don’t care about that and just see it as a natural and sensical evolution of inputs?

If we can all remember the +10 strings each character has, is it really that damn demanding or unreasonable to have to learn a couple more?

What’s the difference between 1,1, d+1 and bf+1, d+1? They are both equally simple and easy to remember, one is just a normal string and the other is a special move that is input like a string.

It’s entirely contextual too, a lot of people who were complaining didn’t seem to understand the commands weren’t random but entirely input appropriate.

Sub-zero’s amplified slide ends in a throw move, guess what the command for that was? Literally just input throw. After you do that once you aren’t going to struggle to remember that later.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Why the interaction button and not the stance switch one? Seems more reasonable to me, since the latter has no other influence on the play itself.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You know what? Every input to meter burn a special should be 2 full circles in a row, like Tager's Astral in Blazblue. If you wanna make it complicated, let's actually make it complicated
That's some high execution, and as a BBCF player I can understand it. Or that thot's (Bullet) special, which is a fast command grab super.

You could make it double QCF to make things a bit more complicated. If you guys want an even more complicated input, that's the QCB>HCF in one string.

What about most of us who liked it and don’t care about that and just see it as a natural and sensical evolution of inputs?

If we can all remember the +10 strings each character has, is it really that damn demanding or unreasonable to have to learn a couple more?

What’s the difference between 1,1, d+1 and bf+1, d+1? They are both equally simple and easy to remember, one is just a normal string and the other is a special move that is input like a string.

It’s entirely contextual too, a lot of people who were complaining didn’t seem to understand the commands weren’t random but entirely input appropriate.

Sub-zero’s amplified slide ends in a throw move, guess what the command for that was? Literally just input throw. After you do that once you aren’t going to struggle to remember that later.
And what about those that want to learn more than one character and not spend time learning twice as many special moves? Not everyone has time nor wants to learn every characters so deeply. Me personally, I could have dealt with the original meter burn button system since I DO play it on a deep level, but I found it extra as fuck and like this change more

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
And what about those that want to learn more than one character and not spend time learning twice as many special moves? Not everyone has time nor wants to learn every characters so deeply. Me personally, I could have dealt with the original meter burn button system since I DO play it on a deep level, but I found it extra as fuck and like this change more
You’re not learning twice as many special moves, you’re learning the same amount of special moves, they just have a contextual addition.

Are you telling me you wouldn’t be able to remember that Sub’s EX slide, that you know is a throw, is done by pressing throw? When you think of the move the command will be recalled immediately because it actually makes sense in regards to what the character is doing. Just like normal strings.

If you can remember like 15 strings per character, you can remember like 15 strings and a couple of button presses at the end of certain special moves. In fact strings are harder to remember because they can have +5 different individual commands of varying directional input and timing. You would almost certainly understand the specials and their follow up easier than you would most strings because the specials actually have simpler commands.

We also already know move list size doesn’t really hinder memorization in the long run. If you’re going to be playing the game for a long time you will eventually have done all of your character’s moves(and have seen other people do moves) that you have them down to reflex or muscle memory.