What's new

A Quan Chi Combo Question(s)

Robotic

Gentleman.
Sup guys,

I'm trying to come up with a combo that will leave my opponent standing while incorporating the meter building tech and do as much damage as possible. The combo is JIP, B21, B21, B11, Trance, close rune, trance, 113 rune. The rune, it seems, cannot be jumped out of, it can only be blocked. If it is blocked, the system counts the 2% chip as part of the combo, making it 39% (weird); If it hits, it will register 37% and rune does it's full damage for a total of 44%. I don't know how vulnerable this leaves quan on block. Both close rune and medium rune have a large enough hitbox to hit the opponent after the 113, but close rune may be the better idea since it inches the opponent away farther. 212 rune also leaves the opponent standing for the same damage, btw.

Question is, can the rune be avoided by the opponent and how vulnerable does this leave Quan if blocked? I wouldn't do this against characters with fast advancing specials as I'm sure I'll get killed for it. I can also end this combo with EX Rune if it gives me frame advantage to continue my assault, so another question is, does it?

Last question: this combo can also be ended with B3, 1+2, fast dash, uppercut. Can the UsedforGlue Boost setup work in this case?

Thanks.

Just ending with 1,1 xx Sky Drop into pressure will get you more damage/meter than 1,1,3 xx Rune, which is negative on block. Even if you can't be punished by the other character, Quan Chi can't deal with pressure well, so I don't think putting him at disadvantage on block is a good idea. You can't avoid the Rune after 1,1,3, though. It adds to the damage on block just as it does for other character's stagger strings cancelled into specials; it's normal. If you want to do EX Rune instead for pressure, you'll still end up doing more damage and building more meter doing 1,1 xx Sky Drop into 2,1,2 xx EX Rune. If you really want to do 1,1,3 xx Rune, though, 1,1,3 xx Skull Ball (it can't be ducked) will do slightly more damage and give you less disadvantage... I don't remember the meter gain comparison between the two moves, but it shouldn't be too different.

If you end with b+3,1+2 > dash > uppercut, you won't be off-screen during the boost.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Just ending with 1,1 xx Sky Drop into pressure will get you more damage/meter than 1,1,3 xx Rune, which is negative on block. Even if you can't be punished by the other character, Quan Chi can't deal with pressure well, so I don't think putting him at disadvantage on block is a good idea. You can't avoid the Rune after 1,1,3, though. It adds to the damage on block just as it does for other character's stagger strings cancelled into specials; it's normal. If you want to do EX Rune instead for pressure, you'll still end up doing more damage and building more meter doing 1,1 xx Sky Drop into 2,1,2 xx EX Rune. If you really want to do 1,1,3 xx Rune, though, 1,1,3 xx Skull Ball (it can't be ducked) will do slightly more damage and give you less disadvantage... I don't remember the meter gain comparison between the two moves, but it shouldn't be too different.

If you end with b+3,1+2 > dash > uppercut, you won't be off-screen during the boost.
Appreciate the detail. I'll go back in the lab.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Getting back from the lab testing some of the above stuff:

11 sky drop is not practical if one is doing the rune, trance meter build. The window to execute the 11 sky drop without negative edge screwing you over is VERY small. 11 cannot be mashed, it must only be pressed twice as mashing it then timing the sky drop will be irrelevant - you will get a close rune no matter how hard you try. You must practice when to begin the 1st button press after the whiffed trance but before the effects of the trance have worn off on your opponent; that window is VERY small, pretty much impossible to do online and difficult to pull off even offline. In my view, 11 sky drop ender for the combo mentioned above is not worth it.

In other news: For characters that I wouldn't like close to me, I find 112 medium rune ender to be a good choice. Combo being JIP, B21, B21, B11, Trance, close rune, trance, 112 medium rune for 40% meterless. You can eyeball your opponent's breaker and use ex trance if necessary.

It also seems that ending with 113 close EX rune might be a possibility, though I haven't tried this in real matches yet. Admiral was in the process of checking this out...

I personally don't find it difficult, but in that case, consider the possibility of just doing Sky Drop and Rune instead of Trance and Rune, followed by 11 xx Sky Drop. You build a bit less meter initially (2xSky Drop < Trance + Rune), but the blocked follow-up pressure builds you more meter (and does more damage) overall, with the potential for another combo or more damage. Your opponent ends in a different position, though, so I guess it's up to your preference. Also, remember the 1,1,2 xx Trance(whiff) ender from Mayo's video if you want the additional meter.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I forgot about the 112 trance whiff, thanks. I'm wondering what is better right now, that extra 3% damage or trance whiff (for a total of 3 whiffed moves in the combo instead of 2) for that extra bit of meter.

Honestly, I just take the damage... Trance only gets you 2.5% of a bar of meter more than Rune. I think you have more advantage when you end with a Rune hit, too, but I'd have to double-check that. It also moves the opponent slightly farther away.

Oh, right, and I forgot to mention... now that you're considering combos that leave the opponent grounded:

b+3,1+2 > Trance > Rune(whiff) > Trance(whiff) > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 xx Trance/Rune(far)

It allows for the same meter gain and does about 1% more damage. It also leaves the opponent further away from you.

EDIT: Sorry, it's Rune(far).

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
quan chis overall best combo that leaves the opponent standing is JIP <3,1+2 dash towards 1,1,2 trance JIP 1,1 teleport which will keep them grounded and you safe from attacks. i suggest repeating without the first JIP than on the third go use ^3 trance and finish with JIP <2,1 JK ex teleport and that should leave them with little to no health that can easily be chipped away

Robotic

Gentleman.
quan chis overall best combo that leaves the opponent standing is JIP <3,1+2 dash towards 1,1,2 trance JIP 1,1 teleport which will keep them grounded and you safe from attacks. i suggest repeating without the first JIP than on the third go use ^3 trance and finish with JIP <2,1 JK ex teleport and that should leave them with little to no health that can easily be chipped away
Keep in mind I'm trying to trance and close rune (both whiffs) for meter building.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
Keep in mind I'm trying to trance and close rune (both whiffs) for meter building.
yes but that is futile, the frames on the trance wont allow too much so you have to coop with short meter building resets, and if you want the easiest combo for a good meter use, try JIP 1,1,2 trance <2,1 JK ex teleport. it caps at 39% midscreen instead of 34% without ex so your adding a whole five percent which is very good for quan.

yes but that is futile, the frames on the trance wont allow too much so you have to coop with short meter building resets, and if you want the easiest combo for a good meter use, try JIP 1,1,2 trance <2,1 JK ex teleport. it caps at 39% midscreen instead of 34% without ex so your adding a whole five percent which is very good for quan.
Oh, hell no. Take your 15-21% + follow-up pressure off the Rune Trap instead of wasting meter on EX Sky Drop. And if you don't want to reset or use meter, you can do b+2,1 > b+2,1 > b+1,1 xx Rune/Trance after a 1,1,2 xx Trance. And Trance gives plenty of time, enough for a whiffed Trance, a whiffed Rune, and a connected b+2,1, even.

EDIT: Had wrong damage values.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Can anyone speak on this? I have not tried this in gameplay yet:

"It also seems that ending with 113 close EX rune might be a possibility, though I haven't tried this in real matches yet. Admiral was in the process of checking this out..."

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
Oh, hell no. Take your 12-16% + follow-up pressure off the Rune Trap instead of wasting meter on EX Sky Drop. And if you don't want to reset or use meter, you can do b+2,1 > b+2,1 > b+1,1 xx Rune/Trance after a 1,1,2 xx Trance. And Trance gives plenty of time, enough for a whiffed Trance, a whiffed Rune, and a connected b+2,1, even.
yeah, only problem is that the trap does all its damage after they build enough meter to break. if they break you than your in pressure which can be avoided by the new ex armor teleport, so basically ur telling me to settle for 34% and no meter as opposed to an extra meter and 5% more? no, just do mixups in place of traps if thats how u manage meter

Can anyone speak on this? I have not tried this in gameplay yet:

"It also seems that ending with 113 close EX rune might be a possibility, though I haven't tried this in real matches yet. Admiral was in the process of checking this out..."
It'll work, but I just don't see the reasoning behind it when 1,1 xx Sky Drop > 2,1,2 xx EX Rune is inescapable as well... is there a reason for it that I'm missing?

yeah, only problem is that the trap does all its damage after they build enough meter to break. if they break you than your in pressure which can be avoided by the new ex armor teleport, so basically ur telling me to settle for 34% and no meter as opposed to an extra meter and 5% more? no, just do mixups in place of traps if thats how u manage meter
Getting breakered does not put you under pressure unless you are cornered, especially since it'd be a ground breaker, which has more recovery than the air breaker. And I didn't say to use the Rune Trap everytime, but it's almost always better than using meter on EX Sky Drop if you want to use meter for additional damage... I even offered a better meterless alternative if you don't want to trap or reset. Hell, if you're so worried about having less meter off the Trap, keep in mind you build meter off blocked hits as well... you end up with more meter using the trap if the opponent blocks, and otherwise end up with more damage. Sure, if the opponent breakers your follow-up after the EX Rune, you may do less damage than the EX Sky Drop ender, but you lose pressure either way; why not take the route that costs your opponent 2 bars of meter unless you're sure the additional 3% would close out the round and using the meterless ender would provide your opponent enough meter to breaker?

P.S. Reading your posts is a chore.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
srry about the scatered post, but i prefer the combo becuz i found out how to do it myself, and it isnt often you see a good combo end in a JK teleport ex. it is unique and above all, drives the enemy close to the center if you were in a corner, releasing pressure from you. and remember the noobkiller low to overhead is always good to take out wakeups excluding KLs spin, raidens teleport, and cyber subs ex teleport wakeup along with cyraxes wake-up. all tht bad makes up for its matchup on noob, liu kang, shang tsung, scorpion, and even easymac