What's new

A Plea to TYMers

So, the complaining. A typical response by us humans when we come across something that brings us great agitation. I doubt there is one person on this Earth who is not guilty of having done this at least once in their lives. I'll even own up and say that whenever I stream any fighting game at all, you're bound to see me make some kind of comment when I get trounced by something that confuses me or I just lose in general (yes, I hate losing, but as a hardcore gamer/competitor it's just part of the job). I'd be surprised if people even watch my streams anymore, LOL.

Is complaining a bad or good thing? Well, it is never a solution, it's only a temporary period to vent about something. After that, you're left with the choice of formulating a counter to what annoys you, or just drop it for good and move on.

A lot of these new members passing through Test Your Might's doors are clearly fresh blood in the fighting game scene, with Injustice or MK9 as their first serious fighters, and therefore have not been exposed to environments where they are faced with the choice to adapt or cry foul. Some are casual players while others are bloodthirsty competitors, and unfortunately...they're like fire and oxygen: they don't mix. At all. That's why TYM does its best to cater to both sides while keeping tournament news a large priority, but as you've witnessed, that's really tough to do.

If you like MK9 and don't like Injustice, no-one will crucify you. If you like Injustice and not MK9, no-one will crucify you. Support one game or support the other - Hell, support even both if you want. Nobody can force you to make any choice except yourself. But, trying to tamper with another community's efforts to support their game is unfounded and will gain you nothing in the end. If a community breaks their backs to support their game, no matter what pros or cons it may have, why would you want to tear that down? Such aims are the reason the FGC remains so divided today.

As of now, TYM is not just an MK site. Nor is it simply an Injustice site. It is what I consider a community site. If the game you want to learn about has a good amount of support here, why the fuck should it matter to you if other games get just as much attention? If your answer is because you don't like them, that's not a good enough reason.

To say MK9 is better than Injustice simply because you don't like what Injustice offers is not a good foundation to base your arguments on. The same goes for the opposite. Too often do we see players define differing elements of some games as either "good" or "bad," when really it's all relative. Different does not always mean it's for the better or for the worse, it's all a matter of what preferences you possess as a fighting game player...and whether you like it or not, you will always run into players whose preferences differ from yours. That does not make them blind to anything.

The "perfect fighting game" will never truly exist, and I don't want to get into an unending list of reasons on why that is the case. So my advice? Stick with what satisfies you as a player, don't shoot anyone else down.

We are all fighting game players, tied by one passion:

We love fighting games.

That should be a cause worthy of all FGCs uniting towards using that passion to evolve beyond what we are right now. There is so much we could gain from doing this, while nothing will be earned from tearing down efforts made by other communities. You all have taken the first step towards challenging yourself, so now's your chance to decide on your response.
Said it quite well, Sir Blake.

However....
Why would they want to tear it down? It is a simple answer: Humans are naturally inclined to war against those who are different. They are spiteful towards those who are different.

Why do you think racism, sexism, and other forms of prejudice exist? Because Man, in his most primitive form, is malevolent towards others who are unlike himself. It is saddening, but this has been so since the early years of human life; it won't change now.

Not trying to start an agrument here, I'm just sayin' this isn't new and should be expected. I like your words, Blake. I think you are cool: you try repairing rifts in communities and doesn't afraid of anything. (Yes, that incorrect usage of "doesn't" is part of an internet meme)

k1nG_Qu1nN

The King
F is for Friends who do stuff together.
U is for u and me.
N is for Anywhere and anytime at all.
Down here in the deep blue sea!

k1nG_Qu1nN

The King
Some TYMers are just like
F is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
U is for URANIUM...BOMBS!
N is for No survivors when you're blowing up the town!
Down here in the deep blue sea!

Cheer up guys!

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
Forreal mk is just as bad if not worse than injustice. I love them both and I'll even admit I love ae and mahvel too. Fighting games are great overall with all their broke shit or not.

Like you can't complain if superman aka white jax hits you with a 63% corner combo if you play a game with dumbass characters like cyrax and smoke that can reset you to death and cyrax can even kill you with an unbreakable version and then you get robbed from a tournament. That's your fault (even though cyrax is dumb, don't get hit by random nets and stuff!). Learn. Adapt. Become a better player and not a bitter scrub.

There's a difference between salt and being a nub without the cakes