What's new

Strategy A Love Affair with Unblockables: Bomb Setups and More

Skip to bottom for fun stuff!

I remember once reading a 3s thread on SRK about unblockables, and how much fun they were. The idea of forcing opponents into making mistakes out of a sense of panic, or being forced into unavoidable damage just amuses me to no end. With that I knew I had to play Cyrax when I got into MK.

Well, the day of reckoning officially came and I think it is safe to say Cyrax has been hit with the nerf bat harder than anyone else. However, all is not lost, while he may not be in the top 3 I would have placed him at on debut, he is certainly still playable.

Cyrax as of now is a much more fair character, I won't deny that. Guaranteed bomb trap allowed him to avoid having to make actual reads on opponents far more than it should have and even just bulldogging in at times to just force through 60% damage or more. But, now we must get more creative with our setups so here are some of the ones I've had/been working on, feel free to post your own or other cool stuff with our favorite yellow robot. I would post videos but I unfortunately don't have the equipment so maybe someone else can do it if they want, otherwise I'll just explain what I can and provide links when available to streamed stuff.

Corner Bomb Loop - My personal favorite
Demonstration: http://www.justin.tv/offcast/b/287882186 part 5 about 20:30 minutes in.
This thing is nasty, I got the idea from it when Tom Brady did a puddle setup on me at PDP. Essentially just push them to the corner and hit with a net then follow with a neutral jump punch that induces the ground slide. The forced slide gives you the time to drop your bomb and get a couple timing ticks in. As they wake up do the 3,3 chain, on hit or block they don't have enough time to jump out. What is really ridiculous is some characters can not escape it as their wake ups just eat 3,3 for some reason (sub-zero is a good example). Add in EX nets to prevent breakers and you have a dead character very quickly.

The Anti Breaker: Bad read by opponent leads to no meter and a reset
Demonstration: http://www.justin.tv/offcast/b/287882186 part 6 50:30ish
I mess it up several times in this match because I suck but if you do it properly it's damn near guaranteed. Go for your normal ex bomb combo doing as much as their meter allows for before breaker, but instead set your bomb placement close. Most people don't pay attention/don't know the difference. Afterward do your uppercut as low as possible for when they break and they ll fall right into it for some big damage follow ups. Alternatively, you can go for a reset every time by doing EX bomb, close bomb then 3,3. They will fall and wake up into a bomb unless they commit to a wakeup attack which usually = punish combo for you pending what matchup.

Side switch to corner pressure:
Demo: http://www.justin.tv/offcast/b/287882186 part 5 23:05
Really simple concept that I don't see people implement often. Cyrax has multiple ways to determine which part of the screen he is on via teleport, air throw and the special kick ( can't remember name). Essentially, because you have time to input the air throw afterwards you recover fast enough to drop a bomb for opponents wake up completely, this forces them into a guessing game so if you make a proper read, you can net them to give time for bomb to pop, meet them in the air and jump kick them into the bomb (really hard timing), or dash and block their wakeup attack for free punish into repeat.

High anti air uppercut into bomb placement
demo: http://www.justin.tv/offcast/b/287882186 part 5 1:50:30
In order to get the timing on this you have to hit the uppercut early in their jump. Afterwards throw a medium bomb immediately and almost always a net as the placement from what I've seen only leaves them the option to jump backward or forward, either of which usually ends in getting netted. If you are midscreen and anticipate the jump backward or dash and want to screw with them throw far bomb instead. Remember, good reads lead into mistakes from your opponent even if your initial set up doesn't hit

Air to Air jump punch
If you hit an air to air at some point, as soon as you land dash 1 pause dash 1 pause dash 1,2 then medium bomb. This will give you god screen carry and place them directly waking up into a bomb. If you want to mix it up a little finish your 1,2,1 string into far bomb if it places them in the corner. The medium bomb setup typical followup for me is either net or dash 3,3, or you can even dash and jump punch for added pressure to make them sweat. Off a far setup net is really your only option but if they are cornered it is the only one you need typically.

The Kung Lao Magnet:
The spacing is difficult to explain, but essentially you want to be just slightly out of range of kung lao's rolling attack (if you aren't you're going to get hit). Place a medium bomb and it ll land at his feet, EVERY kung lao the first time you do it will try to rolling attack you from this point, so throw a net and you got em. If they've learned from their mistake the next choice they will probably make is a jump into dive kick so the key is to now first place a close bomb followed by a medium bomb they will jump it and dive kick, however cyrax's anti air is god and will throw them out of the sky and ideally right into your close bomb as it explodes.

Command throw into...command throw.
Dumb little setup with our old and beaten friend, but hey it's free 24% if people are scared of your aggression. Alternatively you have enough time to get a bomb placement of your choice out to force a guessing game.

That's all I got for now if I remember come up with others I'll add them, and feel free to share your own. Hopefully this helps someone!

KTH

Noob
From my experiences, there're a couple knock down that give you free bomb (aka you can block reversal)

1. Jumping punch on 2nd knock down state
2. 1,2,1 (you can cancel bomb on certain combos that don't start from net)
3. df3 (omit the throw part, the kick will give you free bomb) Usually, I use this. It does more damage than others.
4. uppercut
5. I think jumping kick as well

Some cannot start from combos likes
u kick

I'll check out your stuffs when I got home from work. Thanks for posting trophy

Sporko

Noob
I'm also a big fan of 1, 2, 1 bomb cancel. If you do 1,2,1, medium bomb and delay net, I've often found the bomb will literally explode them *into* the net allowing for teleport, nj p. air slam, which in and of itself leaves enough time to throw down another bomb. And if they jump, they tend to land in the net anyway for full combo. I've wanted to test this to see if I can get any consistent findings but the training mode is garbage and I only have people to assist me in training mode a couple times a month at best

Sporko

Noob
Yeah, his Cyrax is no joke, for sure. That corner bomb loop is absolutely beautiful.

Edit: Oh, for somebody who has somebody offline to test it against, if you land command grab and immediately net, does it catch people who try to jump? I ask because as much as I bitch about how useless command grab is/will be offline, online that can still hit pretty often

REYTHEGREAT

pretty good cyrax there. i always try to throw bombs out there along with nets to see if i catch my opponent. But that corner trap you did 20:30 was NICE. one thing i have done lately is throw a close bomb and stand over it. that way the opponent would think twice about jumping in. know what i mean? basically the close bomb will serve as a cover.

Loved your Cyrax, Trophy Club. What's your take on Human Cyrax now? Do the corner bomb loop, anti-breaker and uppercut to bomb tricks still work with him?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Good stuff Trophy.

I had the pleasure this weekend to be victim of several of these traps. Thanks for the matchup experience.

Yeah, his Cyrax is no joke, for sure. That corner bomb loop is absolutely beautiful.

Edit: Oh, for somebody who has somebody offline to test it against, if you land command grab and immediately net, does it catch people who try to jump? I ask because as much as I bitch about how useless command grab is/will be offline, online that can still hit pretty often
I have a 360 so I don't have the full patch to test yet, but from the couple hours I had with it at revelations my findings were, an immediate net is too obvious and easily blocked however if you did delay it in hopes of a jump afterward you would catch them. I will say the advantage after command throw is so awkward that there really is no reason not to go for a bomb placement or a jump in pressure over net that I've immediately noticed.

pretty good cyrax there. i always try to throw bombs out there along with nets to see if i catch my opponent. But that corner trap you did 20:30 was NICE. one thing i have done lately is throw a close bomb and stand over it. that way the opponent would think twice about jumping in. know what i mean? basically the close bomb will serve as a cover.
I agree, that is definitely a good thing to do to keep up your cover. I have run into a couple match ups though where this actually is a dangerous option as bomb isn't immediately safe, an example of this would be kung lao. If you don't distance it properly he can still dive kick you or do a quick punch into spin and take the rest of the combo into the air to avoid the bomb.

Loved your Cyrax, Trophy Club. What's your take on Human Cyrax now? Do the corner bomb loop, anti-breaker and uppercut to bomb tricks still work with him?
In all truth, I've never really messed with human cyrax because the place I practice has like 7 different xbox setups so there is rarely ever save data with the costumes and stuff unlocked. That being said, if I were to theorycraft around when I would use human version it would be match up specific as I still feel faster nets and bombs are his bread and butter. I'll try the setups later today and see if they still work the same.

As for the match-ups I'd look at for using him on, it would definitely be Kano and Noob Saibot. Kano specifically for ducking knives while you net so you can win the range game and safe teleports to get around noob's bs. Cyrax can keep up in a zone war except against these two to which point those advantages really stand out.

@Konqrr, it was awesome playing you too man, congrats on your placing. I know everyone in Vegas was talking about the crazy Kitana player on the stream when I got back.

So, as far as we know, none of these are getting patched right? Also, Trophy Club, can I have your GT so I can have a regular match with you just to see how you would react to certain things?

Sporko

Noob
This is probably useless given corner bomb loop but I was wondering if somebody with a partner could test something for me.

I was fooling around with corner stuff today and I had an idea.

on an opponent in the corner, try Cyrax's b+2 into a second b+2 (air slamming them) into short bomb. On wakeup you can try to hold them if they block with 2 or whatever, at which point the bomb will bounce them over your head giving you nj. P into b+2, dash, 3, 3 net, teleport for meter, 1 2 1. Should be a little over 50% with block damage.

Now I'm all but certain an attack with wakeup invinciibility will beat out any attempt to lock them in place after the b+2, b+2 air slam, however I'm curious as to whether, if you anticipate them doing a wakeup attack and block accordingly, if their own wakeup attack will keep them in place long enough for the bomb to hit anyhow, still giving you full combo

younghou

Noob
The other day while practicing in training I found the following unblockable setups:

Unblockable anti-air net:

If you connect a net in the air between the 1st and 3rd hit of the combo, you can teleport, leave a mid-bomb (f,f+4) followed by dash and 2,2. This is unblockable, the opponent can't jump or reversal to avoid the setup. It's important sometimes to add an EX net in the combo to avoid that the opponent does a breaker after the unblockable. You can also use a variation that deals a lot more damage: If after the bomb you dash and do 2 > 1 xx close bomb (b,b+4), late jb.kick,,, etc. (Thanks to TONY-T for the setup).

Some setups for this unblockable are:

d+1 (anti air) > dash > d+1 xx net
jf.p > dash > 1 xx net
anti air net
jn.p > b+1 > net

babalook

Noob
I may have just found something (not positive because of great training mode) and this falls into the category of other. If you do say 21net then wiff a bomb then shoot another net the second net will land and put them in animation were the opponent rips through the net, training mode is saying that this second net give a safe jump or at the very least a force block of any string. I figured this would be useful if you don't have the meter to do a big combo and would like to force pressure on your opponent while building some nice meter due to the three specials used. It could also be used to set up decent chip damage so your opponent can't break(?). Can someonw please test this.

babalook

Noob
and by the way the EXbomb close bomb 33 anti breaker setup is nasty if they break the 33 you get a combo and if they don't they must do a wakeup attack with invinsibility to avoid the bombm, best part is after the 33 you can easily hit confirm weather the bomb hits or if they did a wakeup attack(which normally whiff giveing you free whiff punishment). Also can someone test if this is avoidable 21net b2 EXbomb midbomb net, the second net has them in that animation where they are breaking out of the net right as the bomb goes off.

So, as far as we know, none of these are getting patched right? Also, Trophy Club, can I have your GT so I can have a regular match with you just to see how you would react to certain things?
I don't actually play online, sorry man.

To those wondering I messed around with human cyrax a bunch the other night with some friends, none of the setups seem to work the same at all. The slower bomb is a huge factor in escapability, as well as slower net just sucking. I might be crazy, but I think his bombs roll a little farther as well changing the distance on setups if they are still possible.

Also while his teleport might be safe I found the startup being way slower and I got hit out of it constantly in instances where I wouldn't with cyber-rax. So yeah, in summation I'm not sure he is worth playing at all because the sacrifice is pretty big. Maybe, someone can come up with some stuff otherwise, though.

babalook

Noob
anybody notice how rediculous cyrax's wall carry is this is something ive been playing with
21net dashx3 33EXbomb mid bomb dash 33bf2 njp dash net dashx2 b2 dash 121net

this combo will drag the opponent to the wall from mid screen quite realiably, and the reason i dont do the traditional combo after the njp is because(idk why) this combo ends with the opponent breaking out of the net while you have enough advantage to get a free grab attempt. Normaly if you and a combo with a net they have to break out of you are not at this kind of advantage.

DaJokerNikka

Bassist
I like that corner trap but the anti breaker doesn't seem to be working for me. Also what do you when you shoot the bomb trap with the net and they teleport behind or above, even when they dash at you with a special. I have trouble using this against people like Mileena and Kabaal.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Can someone tell me what normal cyraxs highest damaging midscreen reset that ends with the net into grab is?? Pleeeaaassse I feel like that's themost important one and can't find it anywhere on the site.thanks

NariTuba

disMember
Can someone tell me what normal cyraxs highest damaging midscreen reset that ends with the net into grab is?? Pleeeaaassse I feel like that's themost important one and can't find it anywhere on the site.thanks
Im not sure what you mean. Net into Command Grab setup?

Try:

jps,2,1~net, jps,2,1~Exb, mb, ff~1,2,3~cb, net, njp, b2, 3,3~net (let them drop) CG

Kainaran

Noob
or try highest damaging midscreen reset (but hard):

jps,2,1~net, jps,2,1~Exbomb, b2, farbomb, (ff) 121 ~closebomb, net, njp, b2, 3,3~net (let them drop) Command Grab

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
At last I had to experience an awesome Cyrax player that took advantage of all the resets he could get. All I have to say is - fuck you Cyrax! (both on a serious and non-serious tone).

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Oh, okey. Well trust me on this: soon enough some new nasty shit will be reveled. My sparing partner is working on this project - I am helping him whenever i can in the lab. We've already came up with things people here dont know about.