What's new

A Chronicle of a Top 8 Placing - AK/BYS Smarrgasm's Journey

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
This past weekend there was a tournament for the ages in the dirty south. 127 competitors were pitted against one another to do battle at Final Round 17 in Injustice:Gods Among Us. Many favorites were in attendance including Pig of the Hut, Forever King, Sonic Fox, Noobe, Reo, and many more. This was one of the most stacked majors since EVO itself.

One particular player had something to prove in his hometown tournament and that man was AK/BYS Smarrgasm. After many months of skirting around the Top 16's, and taking on a heavy dose of blowups and popoffs (even from his own teammates and Hype Skype members), Smarr had yet another chance to prove that he could ascend to the heavens of a Top 8 finish that had eluded him to this point. On thursday night, Smarr had put himself on the right track by winning the weekly scraps pre-FR tournament beating some extremely notable players on his path to victory (Forever King, Noobe, Pig of the Hut). Would a Top 8 performance finally be on the cards for Smarr? Or would he crumble under the pressure as he had many times before and be left in shame once again?

Saturday would come around and that would mean pools were set to begin. Smarr's draw did not look too daunting with Saltface and Deg on the top half of his bracket while players like Handy Savage, Wafflez, and Hysteria were in his original path. The first match for Smarr would be a match on stream vs Beyond Logik, a green lantern player. Smarr would show that he was in form still and take the match 2-0 to brush off the dust and get that all important first win on the day.

For the next match, Smarr had to play the winner of Handy Savage and GGA Wafflez (a late add to his pool) and this would be a fierce contest as both players are no slouches. Handy Savage would defeat Wafflez and now it would be Smarr's turn to take on the real pain in the ass that Batgirl self appoints herself to be. The match would be a back and forth affair with Smarr taking chunks of health with trait and Handy getting off his mixups. Handy would make a few crucial errors by ducking low against Adam giving Smarr the clear cut 2-0 victory and an advance farther in the winner's bracket.

Smarr was now just 1 win away from top 32 and a break in play until later in the afternoon. His opponent would be a Sinestro player that had been talked up from Texas named Hysteria. Smarr needed to be on guard for this opponent and seemed to be as he took game 1 of the set with some well timed MB Low lightnings and a wake up lightning cage to close it out. Hysteria by no means was out though as he had just beat Fran 2-1 after losing a close game 1 as well. Game 2 would begin in similar fashion with Smarr getting a healthy life lead. Hysteria would roar back with some great trait management but in the end it was just not enough as Smarr hit a MB low lightning to close out the set which is one of his 2 trademark finishers. Smarr was now in Winner's Top 32. A place he knew very well. He had always gotten to this point before things began to fall apart. This time it wouldnt be any easier as well as Deg was his next opponent in the way.

After a long intermission for all other pools to finish up, it was time. Smarr vs Deg. Black Adam vs ...Harley?!?! Deg had decided to go Harley in Game 1 which was a huge curveball to what we expected. Saltface was on the mic bemoaning the decision by Deg and also begging for Smarr not to lose after all the training Saltface had given him. The match would begin with Smarr getting a random crossover divekick and then the tone of the match would be set. Each player reverted to their respective side of the screen and the zoning war began. Smarr would find some neatly placed Black Magic's while deg was firing away with the pistols. The match would be neck and neck and Smarr would drop 2 huge divekick combos that would almost cost him. With 3 seconds left Smarr would get a clash after an ill advised divekick by Smarr. However, at that point it didnt matter because the clash would send Smarr full screen and let him hold back until a time out victory was achieved. Tom Brady would be proud. Now Deg had a decision to make. Stick with Harley after a close game, or go with Zatanna and show the true power of magic to one of the great wizard's warriors.

Deg would choose to make the switch and it was back in for Game 2. Smarr would start off strong in Game 2 but Deg would come roaring back with some great AA rings and some crazy setups that kept Smarr on tilt. The set was now 1-1. Smarr was on the verge of repeating his curse of making Winner's Finals of his pool and going on to lose. Game 3 would be the deciding factor. Game 3 began with both players getting an original hit but Deg would take the offensive by punishing some divekick and using stand 3 smartly in the neutral game. Smarr was now on his heels but a good MB divekick and lightning would even this game back up. It was now down to this, 1 life bar. Would Smarr be able to lift the curse, or would he be doomed to repeat his past fate and lose in Winner's Finals of his pool. Deg would draw first blood in the last life bar after a nice stand 3 tripguard and a MB B3 to beat out a divekick. Smarr would answer back with a landed jump in but would not confirm it into combo. Then tragedy struck as Smarr would get the down back glitch throwing out a bomb instead of a B2. Deg would punish and force Smarr to clash. It was unbelievable. Smarr looked to be down and out with a choke being what may force him out yet again. However, Smarr would come out of the clash on the offensive and force Deg into the corner where he would get a D1 Palpatine knockdown. Smarr would cross over and do D1 lightning...AND IT WOULD LAND TO KILL!!!!! Deg was unable to clash as D1 lightning does not combo. SMARR WAS IN WINNER'S TOP 16 AND THE CURSE WAS SQUASHED! Smarr was now just a match from Top 8 and his opponent would be the NRS child prodigy Sonic Fox who had eliminated Smarr at NEC.

The match would begin with Smarr just throwing out B2 with no regard and it hitting. This was the start he needed. After a few smaller skirmishes in the neutral game and a life deficit Smarr would get a big B2 again but would drop the combo and give Sonic fox another opening. Smarr would quickly make up for it and close out the life bar then add on with a well timed MB divekick into a corner combo that would give him the lead. Being wary Smarr would now back off as Sonic Fox was looking to reverse the pressure and make Smarr pay. It would work as Sonic would land an instant J2 and then a good B2 in the vortex forcing Smarr to clash and leaving him with very little life left. After the clash, Smarr seemed to still be flustered as SonicFox just dashed up into B12 and combo'd to take Game 1. The game was close but Smarr was just unable to close it out much like NEC. Would Smarr be able to adjust or would it be a repeat of the set from NEC as it had been so far?

Sonic Fox would strike first in Game 2 with a B12 into Flying uppercut one of his staple YOLO moves that Smarr was unable to beat with d1. Smarr would get opened up again and then have a MB divekick follow up beat out by flying uppercut and Sonic Fox would take the first bar with a huge lead. Smarr had been in this situation before and it seemed grim for him. Sonic fox would again hit Smarr with a jump in into B2 and then went for the dirty flying punch crossup that we all saw from Winter Brawl. At this point Smarr looked beaten as Sonic Fox was just too into his game. Smarr would close out the life bar but it was just a formality as Sonic Fox would cartwheel Smarr out of an interactible to close the set 2-0. Smarr had made it so far and was now in losers but still just 1 match away from Top 8. However, his opponent would be the winner of Pig of the Hut and Rico Suave. Two players that would set up an interesting storyline no matter which would win.

Pig would end up eliminating Rico Suave setting up a match between two friends and training partners for Top 8. On thursday, Smarr had beaten Pig in Grand Finals but in most of their recent tournament outings, Pig had been the victor. Zod vs Black Adam would be the match. Both players sat down knowing that no matter what happened they would be happy for the other and to just lay it all on the line. The match began and Smarr found a small opening to grab the first hit and force Pig toward the corner. Pig would then maneuver his way back out but Smarr would catch him with a nice 22 Lightning and then b23 on wake up would also hit. Smarr was off to just the start he needed. Pig was not going to just lie down and get beat up as he opened Smarr up with a b2 into laser and converted it to combo and trait call. Pig would close out the initial life bar after Smarr missed a huge whiff punish on a laser. Smarr would even it up though with a perfect black magic and then a trait call as Pig jumped at him after the knockdown. All tied up in game 1. Pig would get a trait call soon after but was unable to force an opening and Smarr then took his chances wisely as he landed 2 back to back MB divekicks to force pig to clash and give Smarr command of the game. Pig would land a great jump in to murder Smarr's forward dash and convert it into a 213 laser and then follow up with a roomba throw so Smarr was unable to clash. Tables had swung back to the General's favor and Smarr needed an answer now. Smarr would land another 22 lightning and try to close it out with lightning hands but Pig smartly woke up with charge. It was down to one last read. Pig tried to charge a laser on the ground but it completely missed Smarr as he jumped back and got a simple divekick to take game 1!

Smarr was now just a game away from making Top 8. Pig however is known as one of the most clutch tournament players and was no stranger to this type of situation. Game 2 was now set. Pig decided to open on the offensive this game as he got an early trait call and then a 12 into interactible for a huge lead. Pig would take complete control of the match showing off the power of Zod as he limited Smarr's movement with Zod balls and used trait to chip away at Smarr's dwindling life and close out Game 2. So it was all down to this. 1 final game to decide it all for both of these players. One a player who had made Top 8 almost countless times. One who had never even tasted what it was like.

Game 3 would decide it all for these kombatants. Smarr would opt for a change of stage looking for a stage with less respawning interactibles for Pig to throw at him. The turf chosen at random was Atlantis and the match began. Smarr rushed forward off the bat looking for the first hit and was able to achieve it with a cheeky d1 that traded with a Zod ball. Smarr would then punish an up close trait summon with d2 into combo giving him a slight life lead. Trait would stay out just 1 second too long for Smarr's good as Pig used it to break the wall of Atlantis for a nice 22% to even things up. Pressure was traded off by both players and Smarr would land a tricky divekick that would drag Pig to the corner and give Smarr a half life lead at the end of the first life bar. It would not last very long though as old KT Smith helped to open Smarr up near the background bounce for a nice 50% damage combo that also recharged his trait entirely. Pig however would not summon the trait again leaving Smarr with a little pixel of life that would come back to haunt him as Smarr landed a huge MB divekick and forced Pig into clashing early. Pig would close out the round after the clash with a side arm that traded with a Black Magic. Smarr had a slight lead going into this bar now and both players were only a few openings away from closing it out. Pig would attempt a trait call but Smarr was able to quickly close the gap and punish him as it came out making for a huge play in Smarr's favor. The blows would trade back and forth yet again as Pig landed a big crossup J1 into combo that also led to an interactible OTG. Smarr was now the one on the ropes as big backed off more time on his trait. The trait would soon come out and pig hit a major 12 interactible bounce that Smarr luckily clashed on the last hit before unclashable B3 was going to be available. Out of the clash Smarr forced Pig to the corner but made a big mistake as a F21 laser opened him up and led to a combo for Pig. It was so close to being over now. Smarr would get off the ground and just go all in as he moved close to Pig with a J1 into D1 trait. After the trait Smarr did a B23...AND IT LANDED. The follow up combo was all Smarr needed to make Top 8 and forever break his curse! Zod fell for what seemed like an eternity but landed directly on the 112 of Black Adam as Smarr completed the combo and screamed to the heavens "LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!"

It was over. The curse had finally been broken. AK/BYS Smarrgasm had finally made Top 8. After all the pop offs and all the doubters he had finally delivered what he had always said he would do. THIS WILL ALWAYS BE A WORLD OF DICTATORS!!!!!

I, Smarrgasm, have written this article as a formal pop off because in person I was unable to since my emotions just took over and I could not contain them. For everyone who doubted me, you can Hold That forever. For everyone who supported me, I love you guys and you were with me all the way.

I wanna give shoutouts to all of AK for helping me train and be ready. Theres just so many people to thank.

EDIT-Also if you ask me why this is in 3rd person or why it is front paged, then you obviously didnt get the joke. Stay free.

Last edited:

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I am not TLDR-ing this. If you want to read it do it. Otherwise I could give a shit lol. This is my pop off.

SZSR

Noob
You repeated four paragraphs at the beginning.

"This past weekend....

.... and an advance further in the bracket."

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
why is this front paged?
I am an article writer for the front page of TYM. I put time into this article and it is a detailed chronicle of my path to top 8 at Final Round.

It may get taken off the front page but I did put a lot of time into it and its not like it cant be read as an article or news.

Also, I made Top 8 and apparently you can do whatever you want after that so everyone can hold this :REO

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
@AK Smarrgasm Also can I be included in this part?

"and taking on a heavy dose of blowups and popoffs (even from his own teammates and Hype Skype members)"

It would be appreciated.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Awesome!

Congrats Smarr! I am super happy for you. Honestly your match vs. Pig was the hypest of the tournament for me just because of the months long story behind it.

Also LBSH, losers top 12 match to get into top 8 are the most hype in general. Someone gets to make it to the big stage tomorrow and have all kinds of prop threads made for them and the other gets to go home early. IMO, there is so much on the line mentally, especially after a long ass day of pools, that it just makes for some electrifying play.... especially with 2 players who want that top 8 as bad as you and pig

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Actually, Smarr is kind of a petty bitch. I pm'd him congratulating him on making top 8 and how disgusted I was that SonicFox laughed during their match. He said nothing. Now he writes a novel BEGGING for props...oh no...

Next.