What's new

$100,000 Avyd Fighting Game Championships (Legit?)

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
http://avyd.com/championship.php

"We are proud to announce that we will be hosting a $100,000 Fighting Game Championships to be played at our Winter Championships at the close of 2016. The event will be hosted in sunny Orlando, Florida and feature a massive prize pool. Prizing will be split between six of the most popular competitive fighting games, including Street Fighter V, Mortal Kombat X, Guilty Gear Xrd, Killer Instinct, Super Smash Bros. Wii-U, and Super Smash Bros. Melee! It wasn’t just that we wanted to host the most popular fighting games, but we also wanted to host the best players in those games.

With that in mind, we are also proud to announce that Avyd has partnered with some of the best fighting game community events in the United States to produce a Qualification Tour throughout 2016. Each event’s Champion will secure a qualification spot in our closed Top 8 bracket at our Winter Championships. On top of that, we will provide each Champion with free lodging and a VIP weekend pass. We will also host multiple online qualifiers giving competitors a final chance to secure a qualification spot into our Top 8 bracket. A total of six out of the eight spots will be filled by this Qualification Tour. The final two will be determined at the event itself. Below you will find the details on when and where you can qualify for your chance at $100,000.

Mar 15-17 Sacramento, CA Norcal Regionals: SFV, MKX

May 27-29 St. Charles, IL Combo Breaker: SFV, MKX, XRD, KI, SSB4, SSBM

June 24-26 Orlando, FL CEO 2016: SFV, MKX, XRD, KI, SSB4, SSBM

Aug, TBA Online Qualifier Avyd: MKX, KI, SSB4

Sep, TBA Online Qualifier Avyd: KI, SFV, XRD

Oct. 1-2 Orlando, FL CEOtaku: XRD

Oct. 7-9 Detroit, MI The Big House: SSB4, SSBM

Oct. 14-16 TBA, CA Socal Regionals: SFV, MKX, XRD, KI, SSB4, SSBM

Nov, TBA Online Qualifier Avyd: SFV, MKX, XRD, KI, SSB4

We are very excited about where we see Fighting Games heading in 2016 and we are committed to supporting the growth of FGC events for the benefit of the players. We would like to thank all of our event partners who made this possible and we can’t be more pleased to be associated with these great events. Please be sure to check out all of their events and don’t forget to go compete for a chance to qualify for $100,000. Here is to a great 2016!"

Discuss...

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I just posted a status on this and wondered if I should make a thread. Thank you for taking the initiative.

To those eager to welcome a new tournament experience, keep in mind what happened with EGL Dallas. I do not mean to throw shade, but a lesson was learned from that experience and we would be fools to disregard it.

If this IS legit, it could prove interesting.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I just posted a status on this and wondered if I should make a thread. Thank you for taking the initiative.

To those eager to welcome a new tournament experience, keep in mind what happened with EGL Dallas. I do not mean to throw shade, but a lesson was learned from that experience and we would be fools to disregard it.

If this IS legit, it could prove interesting.
Just can't help but be skeptical. A company comes out of nowhere and offers $100000 to the fgc? Idk about that. Can any of the TOs of the various qualifying events corroborate anything?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I went to the Avyd website and... I'm not sure what it is they do. Certainly isn't easy to figure out from their homepage. But who knows.

Does anyone here know who they are, and what their connection to the FGC is? :confused:

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
I don't suggest people travel to tournaments for the "potential promise" of money. Atleast we know SCR, Combo Breaker, CEO as good tournaments. And it won't do anything but waste people's time for the online qualifier. Just temper your expectations and go to these tournaments to have fun and compete.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah I would be skeptical for sure. Can't trust these big numbers as we've unfortunately found out.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Can't find anything on the companies website about what they do and their Twitter has only been around since late February (registered since early 2013 though). Seems fishy to me lol.

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
Still seems sketchy to me, but I'll hold out hope that this will bring some more players out to tournaments for MK X and KI.