What's new

Your Superman Strategy

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I started this thread because I'm learning Superman and finding that I'm having a heck of a time opening people up. His 223, or 22~DF1 is a good mix up once youre in but I find myself having issues actually getting in. Air dashing get's stuffed so easily as Supes doesnt have a good air attack and his F23 string is slow as molasses.

How do you guys get in and keep up pressure? Once in, what's youre strategy?

Thanks.

Solo

Shadow Priest
For me, Superman have to play a certain way for certain characters. Because the characters are so different in Injustice. You might want to be a bit more specific.

F23 is slow? I abuse the hell out of it online. lol.

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
Fastest moves in the game are 6 frames. F2 is 8 frames and leads to full combos from mid-range. Your speed complaint is invalid.

Getting In;

- Walk, block. Basic but spectacularly under-appreciated. Very useful against heavy zoning match-ups.

- Walk or dash into max F2 range. From there you don't need to do anything too risky. Your F2 goes roughly the same distance your dash does. Whiff punish, or just hit their block with F23 xx Breath and you're in.

- DF+3 knocks opponents down at distance and gets you in FREE. Don't spam it, it is very unsafe.

- Heat Zap Heat Zap Heat Zap Heat Zap. If they block it, free dash. If they crouch it, free dash (usually). This move is so good for the neutral game.

- Heat Vision [MB], if it hits, dash in. Don't worry if you're still not that close. You're gradually pushing them to the corner and that's what matters.

Keeping up Pressure;

- Grab > Block. If they block excessively, grab them. Once they start teching, you can punish that by using B3 / walk back F23. Condition them to expect throws and they will start mashing tech or random buttons, which provides you with more openings.

- Use B1, it has deceptive range. Especially if you walk back and do it.

- Use Heat Zap in blockstrings (does 6% in chip and +19 on block). Most players will start ducking in anticipation, because you've conditioned them to look for a particular blockstring ender. Commence using overheads / throws.

- Use F23 xx Breath to push them into the corner. If you notice them stand blocking your annoyingly safe pressure, use F2D1 to open them up for a full combo (SO much damage in the corner with this)

There is so much more that I could say, but really you just have to think outside the box. You have to trick your opponent to get hits, that's the bottom line.

edit: I think I'm going to write a mini supplementary guide thingy to go with SaitsuYesHadou's.

Loth Ryo

of house Ryo krypton
Fastest moves in the game are 6 frames. F2 is 8 frames and leads to full combos from mid-range. Your speed complaint is invalid.

Getting In;

- Walk, block. Basic but spectacularly under-appreciated. Very useful against heavy zoning match-ups.

- Walk or dash into max F2 range. From there you don't need to do anything too risky. Your F2 goes roughly the same distance your dash does. Whiff punish, or just hit their block with F23 xx Breath and you're in.

- DF+3 knocks opponents down at distance and gets you in FREE. Don't spam it, it is very unsafe.

- Heat Zap Heat Zap Heat Zap Heat Zap. If they block it, free dash. If they crouch it, free dash (usually). This move is so good for the neutral game.

- Heat Vision [MB], if it hits, dash in. Don't worry if you're still not that close. You're gradually pushing them to the corner and that's what matters.

Keeping up Pressure;

- Grab > Block. If they block excessively, grab them. Once they start teching, you can punish that by using B3 / walk back F23. Condition them to expect throws and they will start mashing tech or random buttons, which provides you with more openings.

- Use Heat Zap in blockstrings (does 6% in chip and +19 on block). Most players will start ducking in anticipation, because you've conditioned them to look for a particular blockstring ender. Commence using overheads / throws.

- Use F23 xx Breath to push them into the corner. If you notice them stand blocking your annoyingly safe pressure, use F2D1 to open them up for a full combo (SO much damage in the corner with this)

There is so much more that I could say, but really you just have to think outside the box. You have to trick your opponent to get hits, that's the bottom line.

edit: I think I'm going to write a mini supplementary guide thingy to go with SaitsuYesHadou's.
Thank you for the write up man, good info here for sure

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps

Getting In;

Keeping up Pressure;

Great stuff! And please do. I've been so busy I have no time at all to work on my guide :/

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
Just mash f23 into breath if it hits combo if not keep doing it. If they are far away heat vision if they are still far away heat vision

heat zap and heat vision and random mb heat visions to catch off guard or keep zoning advantage....... if they get close f23 or do an air dash crossup.. heat zap needs a nerf im thinking...

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
its not THAT simple, yet it is. Liu Kang is a lot more than B312, but that's his main thing. F23 is Superman's B312 as far as I can tell atm. doesn't make him suck though, he's a hella good char, and he's a mother fucker in the corner

xQUANTUMx

who thinks he needs a nerf? fuck that, if DS can keep his dirt and cyborg can iagb supes keeps his shit

Yeah I don't think anyone is saying he needs a nerf. I honestly really like the balance of this game and the only things I could really justify nerfing are some of the interactables (does P2 side on Themyscria-2 really need five barrels?).

He has a simple gameplan but you still generally have to outplay the other guy to win. He feels a lot like playing Ryu in SF4 in that he doesn't really have any nasty ways of opening you up but if he can properly bait out whiffs he can still get in and do his damage. So far the only matchup I feel that he really dominates is Grundy but I've only played against Ares, Lantern, Aquaman, and Grundy in-person so far (and the Grundy might just need to get better at the matchup).

xQUANTUMx

ya, i realized how nice trait is against grundy's walking armor bullshit. walked right into my F23. justifiably a good counter considering grundy can take 65% away from you when he touches you

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
It's funny cause it's true. I brought my 10 min superman online just following these steps and won probably 20 games in a row. I even beat superman mains lol
So? Because everyone knows online play accurately gauges how good a player is. A few wins online one day = an impregnable strategy!

Hellion_96

xX_Hellion96_Xx
So? Because everyone knows online play accurately gauges how good a player is. A few wins online one day = an impregnable strategy!
That's pretty much how you play superman lol even though i said it in a smart ass way that's how hes played.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but if I ever get into a situation where I just need to start spamming air heat vision blasts, I tend to follow this practice:

If your opponent shows that he knows how to dash in after blocking one, mix it up with a MB version. At bare minimum, it will give them a good push back away from you on block and will provide you with enough recovery to land on your feet before they can even do anything. It will also teach them to respect the MB version and will force them to hesitate before dashing in immediately after blocking.

I do that too. I feint a jump in, do air Heat Vision and MB it knowing their gonna' try to attack me back.

But mostly, I spam Heat Zap. It recovers deceptively fast, so they'll just start ducking them and that's when you can sneak in a MB Heat Vision