What's new

Strategy Your opinion on 4-fan vs. B2-fan.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I've been taking Kitana much more seriously lately in preparing Kitana and Sonya as my alternatives if I need them in the Kung Lao fight.

I learned my combos basically from just watching CD and 16bit in some tournaments from last year. My BNB has been: F2 1, NJP, 4-Fan, 2-Lift, B2-Fan, Fan, F2 Cutter. I know that main kitanas are doing 4-Lift, but I drop that a lot.

Sometime's I drop the 2-Lift because I might be just a little to short in my dashing, so I started doing this instead:

F2 1, NJP, B2-Fan, Fan, 2-Fan, 2-Cutter

It's virtually the same damage (1% less), and much more full proof to being dropped from the Lift section in the other version.

This combo is known obviously, but I'm curious as to what you prefer to do in your BNBs. Personally, I'll be going for this one. I can find all sorts of combos here, but what do YOU use off of F2 1? Also, F4 1?

Osu 16 Bit , Revolver , Mr. Mileena
For fuck's sake, Why are their names not tagging? Someone help me out.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
f4 1 f2xxlift DASH ONCE b2xx fan ground fan dash f2 cutter. It should be 40% I think.

you can replace the last f2 with a 4 for an extra one percent. With Kitana though, you kinda want to rely on the more fool proof combos since they can be kinda tricky at first.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
My opinion:

If you are confident in your execution you should go for the NJP combo. However, when you hit a f2,1 and it's clear the combo will kill, b2 fan or jk fan are better because there's no reason you should ever drop that. I learned this the hard way in a grand finals vs Death lol.

Also, I'd like to add that when the opponent has breaker or about to get breaker, you should go for b2 for the extra fan damage. Sometimes even with breaker they don't expect it and won't break the b2, and they'll end up breaking on the 2 fan later.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
My opinion:

If you are confident in your execution you should go for the NJP combo. However, when you hit a f2,1 and it's clear the combo will kill, b2 fan or jk fan are better because there's no reason you should ever drop that. I learned this the hard way in a grand finals vs Death lol.
Yeah, I definitely have that under my belt. But what do you think about NJP into B2, vs NJP into 4 Fan and then the lift follow up?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Yeah, I definitely have that under my belt. But what do you think about NJP into B2, vs NJP into 4 Fan and then the lift follow up?
Ohhh my bad, I didn't read it the whole way. Honestly I never drop the 4~fan combo if I hit the njp, the only problem I've ever had is hitting the NJP.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+4,1, dash b+3,3~lift, jk~fan, fan, f+2~cutter for 35%

In the corner f+4,1, 3,3~fan, b+3,3~lift, b+2~fan, fan, 3,3,3~cutter, d+1 for 43% or f+4,1, b+2~fan, fan, 4~cutter, 3,3,3~cutter, d+1~cutter for 49%

None of these are max damage, I've just never bothered to update my f+4,1 bnbs.

Ok, this is what I do, hope it helps:

after the NJP, I hit the 4-Fan as soon as I can, I don't wait or anything.
Then I do a super tiny mini dash, that way the 4-Lift never whiffs

I was having the same problem a while back and that's how I fixed it.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Ok, this is what I do, hope it helps:

after the NJP, I hit the 4-Fan as soon as I can, I don't wait or anything.
Then I do a super tiny mini dash, that way the 4-Lift never whiffs

I was having the same problem a while back and that's how I fixed it.
I do it the exact same way. Never fails.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

In the corner f+4,1, 3,3~fan, b+3,3~lift, b+2~fan, fan, 3,3,3~cutter, d+1 for 43% or f+4,1, b+2~fan, fan, 4~cutter, 3,3,3~cutter, d+1~cutter for 49%

What about jip, f4 1, b2 af, gf, 4 gf, 333 cutter, 2 cutter? 53% meterless corner bnb I do.

Corner F4+1, b2 fan, gf, 4 fan, 333 cutter, 2,1 = 50% Jp adds 3 for 53%
Midscreen F4+1, 33, dash 2 fan lift, b2 fan, gf, 4 cutter

F2+1, 3 fan, 4 lift, b2 fan, gf, 4 cutter = 40%
If i add the jp after the f2+1 i always do 4 fan 4 lift

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
By the way, you main Kenshi, what the hell are you doing in the Kitana forums asking us for help.

Wanna know how you can help in return?
Drop Kenshi.

K thx bye

:)
So much information! Thank you for all responding so promptly and thoroughly. I've found a few things here that I'm definitely gonna work on. I may represent the enemy (kenshi), but I've always loved Kitana. I played her casually since release and found I love her a few months ago.

Sorry Mr. Mileena, not happening! Thanks for the help though.

gr8one06

STB Black Belt
Personally, I use the original version of the combo (4~fan, 4/2~lift). The main reason i use this method is basically because I started out using this method. After months of practice, it became second nature. I use 2~lift (instead of 4~lift) online because the landing window is larger, hence i drop the combo less. Offline however, I use 4~lift because I am able to land that version easily without lag.

There's basically two reasons (advantages?) to using the versions I mentioned above in place of going straight into b2~fan after the NJP. 1) More damage and 2) extra meter build (5 specials used versus 4). Though, losing 1% damage on your combo to ensure you do connect the combo is not that big of a deal. Kitana does good damage, and as long as you are landing good damage, then get what you can, and reset with spacing. Both versions of the F2,1 starter discussed in this thread are ended in the same way, allowing for the spacing reset. She also builds meter pretty fast in general, so the extra meter build really isn't all that important.

As for hit confirming F4,1.....i use the following: F4,1..F2~lift..b2~fan..fan..F2~cutter

Personally, I use the original version of the combo (4~fan, 4/2~lift). The main reason i use this method is basically because I started out using this method. After months of practice, it became second nature. I use 2~lift (instead of 4~lift) online because the landing window is larger, hence i drop the combo less. Offline however, I use 4~lift because I am able to land that version easily without lag.

There's basically two reasons (advantages?) to using the versions I mentioned above in place of going straight into b2~fan after the NJP. 1) More damage and 2) extra meter build (5 specials used versus 4). Though, losing 1% damage on your combo to ensure you do connect the combo is not that big of a deal. Kitana does good damage, and as long as you are landing good damage, then get what you can, and reset with spacing. Both versions of the F2,1 starter discussed in this thread are ended in the same way, allowing for the spacing reset. She also builds meter pretty fast in general, so the extra meter build really isn't all that important.

As for hit confirming F4,1.....i use the following: F4,1..F2~lift..b2~fan..fan..F2~cutter
You actually get more meter for doing the 4 fan 4 lift

fan lift gives way more meter than any special she has.
You gain more meter and 1% combo with the fan lift version

gr8one06

STB Black Belt
You actually get more meter for doing the 4 fan 4 lift

fan lift gives way more meter than any special she has.
You gain more meter and 1% combo with the fan lift version
Yup, that's why I said I use that version :)

Jimmypotato very nice addition of detail! Sometime's we forget about those little, but extremely important details.

- gr8one06, STB

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Thanks again everyone. For now, since I have a tournament in a week and a half, I'm going with:

F2 1, NJP, B2 fan, fan, 2 fan, F2 Cutter

F4 1, F2 lift, jk fan, fan, F2 Cutter

and in the corner:
F2 1, NJP, 4 fan, 2 lift, b2 fan, fan, 333 Cutter, D1

and F4 1, B2 fan, fan, 4 Cutter, 333 Cutter, D1 Cutter

I'd like to level it up more after the tournament but these feel very reliable to me.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
f4 1 f2xxlift DASH ONCE b2xx fan ground fan dash f2 cutter. It should be 40% I think.
I thought I was the only one who used this exact combo! The dash once thing is KEY. I think you can get a bit more (42%) by doing a double dash 4~fan, 4~cutter or f2~cutter I forget after the b2af.

@Mayo, use what you are comfortable with but keep practicing the other combos in casuals to try to get them down. That 3-5% extra could save your life in a serious match.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I thought I was the only one who used this exact combo! The dash once thing is KEY. I think you can get a bit more (42%) by doing a double dash 4~fan, 4~cutter or f2~cutter I forget after the b2af.

@Mayo, use what you are comfortable with but keep practicing the other combos in casuals to try to get them down. That 3-5% extra could save your life in a serious match.
Oh yeah, believe me. I definitely value max damage and meter increases. I`m the guy who made the flurry combos in kenshi`s corner game. I really want to get the higher kitana combos down. But I have a tournament this weekend, and I´m really just trying to make sure I have good solid combos to hurt Kung Lao. I was severely lacking air control and combo damage with Kenshi in that fight. Now I have it. Smaller hit box is pretty damn nice too.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC

i Like your style ;)

maz

Noob
Midscreen:jip,f4,1,f2,lift,dash,b2-fan,fan,3,3,cutter 42%
jip,f2,1,b2-fan,fan,2,fan,2,cutter 41%
Corner:jip,f4,1,b2-fan,fan,fan,3,3,3,cutter,2,cutter,d1 50%
jip,f4,1,b2-fan,fan,fan,3,3,3,xray(for the kill) 55%
The best and easiest bnbs for me

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I have a 40+ page combo compendium that I worked on for awhile, but had to shelve due to time constraints. Perhaps I will finish it.