What's new

Your Local MK Scene Or Your Ego: Which Is More Important?

B W1zZ

Noob
Developing and maintaining a local scene for the new MK game can be a daunting task for some. It involves finding a venue, supplying the equipment, knowing people, and advertisement of the event or tournament in question. Local scenes have been popping up everywhere for the current Mortal Kombat, and it usually starts with a few or more people who have an idea who are willing to put in the work required to see that idea come to fruition.

Oftentimes the work put in to maintain these events, and efforts to improve them such as supplying a live stream and making sure everything is in order, are often overlooked. Tournament organizers and streamers have a lot going on mentally when faced with the pressure of running a tournament, maintaining a stream, and getting sidetracked hoping everything is running smoothly in a heated match if they are playing. These are the people that make it all happen, so if you have a small or medium size local scene going do what you can to help them make the scene a success, whether it be helping set up equipment, giving ideas and feedback, or offering specialized skills you think could help the scene like graphics design etc.

So you’ve been attending your local scene for awhile, but overall what are you most concerned with? How well you will perform? What others think of you? Maintaining your reputation? Helping your scene grow?

Obviously most people go to tournaments because, well, they want to win! There is nothing wrong with that since the desire to win makes you overall a better player and more competitive, but it can be a bad thing as well. Every tournament player loses at some point, if not a lot. That’s not necessarily a bad thing as long as you learn from your mistakes. I’m sure you all know this but I think it’s necessary to remind everyone they should lose without excuses. It’s not right to attempt to “shit in someones cheerios” by coming up with an excuse to defend your loss. If it was a controller issue, your fault. You were high? Your fault. Distracted? Your fault. Basically going to a tournament unprepared mentally and physically can be just as bad as going without warming up or practicing. When you do lose (and you will), a little sportsmanship can go a long way.

What I’m getting at here is more often than not in a competitive scene like MK people tend to have egos if they are good players. Confidence can come with experience, but cockiness can also come with over-confidence. I feel the ladder can not only make you disliked, but it’s also detrimental to the growth of your local scene and your own game play. Also I find that players who feel they have some reputation to maintain end up performing more poorly at tournaments than they would have if say such petty matters didn’t affect their thought process during the match.

I’m not writing this to trash any player in particular. I just think people should focus more on what they can do to help out their local scene, rather than being all about what their local scene can do for them. The whole purpose of even having a scene is to play a game you enjoy with other players in your area, in an offline setting.

If you notice someone is lacking in a certain area do what you can to help that player improve. Even if you’re playing casuals with one of your local rivals, exchanging strategies and tips with each other will help push both of you to a higher level. Just remember, your scene can disappear just as fast as it was created, and it’s up to everyone who is passionate about this game to help by doing what they can to improve their own scene and make it a success.

I$AAC

Noob
I posted the following in the front page but I figured I'd put this in here too. Sorry B-Wizz I thought STORMS wrote this. My bad lol:

This is a great article STORMS. As someone that's in the middle of building AND maintaining a scene, this is definitely food for thought.

Everybody wants to be a winner, but if you want to build a scene you have to leave your ego in the car. In the MK9 monthly at Cafe Alma, I raised the hand of SirHonor after he gave me a hell of a fight in Grand Finals. I made sure people knew that he was the real deal and I made sure he knew it too. I even took time to show him a better combo than the one he was currently doing. He thanked me and promised to come back to the next tourney.

The next tourney was at World of Beer. I played RamenO in the winners bracket and I was experimenting with Sektor. He picked Stryker and exposed my Sektor. I picked Kano and won the next 2 fights but it was not easy. They all came down to last round and last hit. I gave him much props and told him to keep it up with stryker. He too will be at the next tourney.

Being an ambassador of a community not only has helped me build this scene from the ground up, but it helped me become a more organized person. I've made threads, talked to store owners, got in touch with promoters, and even made a facebook page for the Florida Mk community. All those things in one way or another helped the scene grow to what it is. Because of all the hard work everyone has done for FL, we will have 3 tournaments going on in the month of September alone. We also have a tourney at a nightclub called MORTAL BOMBTRAXX in October. Things are definitely picking up.

So in closing, as long as you keep your ego in check and don't mind doing a little work for what you love, then the sky's the limit!

This about sums up what I love about the Mortal Kombat community. This is a great game that is endlessly entertaining, and we have some great people putting together events and streams to make everyone better connected. Those guys should get a lot more credit than they do. Something to think about next time you're practicing instant air sais and juggle combos for 60 minutes straight on training mode. (Oh... that was me)

Seriously though, you make a great point about player mentality. For me it's about pushing myself and trying to give other players fun challenging matches, regardless of whether I win or lose. Much of the information posted on the forums here, whether I reply or not, has been really useful for me in learning to play this game well. It is easy to sense the passion from several members on this website and I drew on that to the point that now this is by far the best I've ever been at a fighting game (Not that it's saying much). Real glad I stumbled upon this website. I'll try to hit up some more local tournaments to support the community.