What's new

XBLA Etiquette Question

I'm hoping this is the right place for this...

In another thread, I saw a complaint about how someone always picked, "Counter Characters." I assume this means they wait until their opponent makes their choice, then picks someone based on that choice. My question is, is this considered cheap and/or unsporting?

XL

Noob
Nope, not really.

In fact, the other person doesn't have to pick theirs until you do either. They can just sit on a character, they want, and if it looks like they are going for an "Anti-Character" they can switch before the time runs out.

It takes out a lot of the fun if someone does it all the time. Why should one player always have the upperhand?

dreemernj

Ambassador
For one thing they don't have to have the upper hand. You can just wait. Maybe leave the cursor on top of whatever character they do and let the time run out or something.

I think if you are playing fun casual matches, it would get boring if someone did that but there's nothing wrong with doing it if you are playing to win.

Aside from cheating, everything is pretty much fair game and should be considered acceptable.

I have a similar question, so I'll just use this thread.

In ranked I mostly (about 3/4 of the time) play Kabal. If I play the same person more than once in a row (unless they beat me) I'll pick Kabal and quickly put up three question marks to make it randper if they're sick of playing Kabal.

But outside of that, if you play ranked and someone keeps picking a top tier character, do you consider that cheap? (I would never do that in a player match)

Counter character picking is just someone playing to win. Too obvious.
There's nothing wrong with that.

It's never about that, it's about if there are other factors included or combined with that.

If they lag terribly, especially when they mess up and youre about to punish, then with that combination you know they're screwing with you.

That shows that they're doing whatever it takes to defeat you with lag tactics. Lag abusers are people I don't enjoy playing, especially when it starts working for them and then you happen to turn the tide and eek out the win then they fatality drop.

ded

Elder God
PapaJester said:
My question is, is this considered cheap and/or unsporting?

yeah its cheap! idiots who think they can do on your character combos with their counter characer often do that...

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I know how to select my character right when time runs out so often times if they are sitting and wait, they will get a character autoselected before they pick who they want.

XL

Noob
Well, if you are playing a person where it's a huge problem, then just keep rotating your D-Pad/Analog Stick around in circles until time runs out. That way they won't know who to anti.

Although. this would obviously mean that your stuck with someone completely random.

CheatToWin said:
...If you play ranked and someone keeps picking a top tier character, do you consider that cheap? (I would never do that in a player match)
Most people pick their best character for ranked. I'm horrible Kabal particularly, but he's a great noob basher, especially when they rush to pick smoke.

Thanks for all the replies. This one in particular stood out, and I wanted to ask a follow-up

ded_ said:
yeah its cheap! idiots who think they can do on your character combos with their counter characer often do that...
I'm just wondering, if this is the prevailing opinion, then what are some non-cheap ways to select your character? Is it more sporting to just pick a character you decided on before you got matched up? Always random? I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious about what others think on the subject.

Just as an aside, can you imagine the fits people would pitch if UMK3 had the "Stealth Select" option the old SNES MK3 had? :-P

Enigma

Noob
I always go with Sub-Zero in ranked games. I'm playing to win, and he's hands down my best player.

In unranked/casuals, I always random.

jdub03

Noob
i really dont counter pick. I choose (with in the people i play) the person i play best with against that character. I dont know this game well enough to counter pick.

jdub03 said:
i really dont counter pick. I choose (with in the people i play) the person i play best with against that character. I dont know this game well enough to counter pick.
That's exactly what counter charactering means...

does ne1 know how much time your given to select the characters? I always pick top tier characters for ranked mainly cause I'm kinda a newb and havent got good with all of the characters. The best way to avoid counter charcter pics is to wait until they pic.

DAVE101 said:
jdub03 said:
That's exactly what counter charactering means...
Hah smooth. I never really counter character unless someone goes straight to Smoke. If they do that I just pick Kabal. Other than that I usually just pick one of my good characters or random.