What's new

X-ray system

To actually take advantage of this would require some crazy mind reading skills, not to mention it'd be difficult to setup without the xray whiffing or whatever.

SpyderJ

Noob
Damn, nice find. Heh the actual applicable use of these seem to be extremely limited due to the idea that you would have to have two people throw out their x-rays simultaneously just after a space occupying move has been put out on the screen.
Or one person throw out an armored move after the space occupying move has been put on screen, then that person engages the x-ray.

I dont think this rly takes anything away from the way the game functions, but still, nice little bit of info for how the x-rays work.

archon

Noob
In the "X-ray System Exposed" video at 1:08, Baraka activates his X-ray first, yet loses to the forceball once Reptile X-rays. This gives the impression that whomever activates most recently (Reptile X-raying second) takes armor away from his opponent.

However, in your "Sub-Zero Disables Armor" video around 0:17, Sub-Zero X-rays first. Cyber Sub-Zero then X-rays in the air, but is stopped by the clone. Now, this would make sense if Sub-Zero charged his X-ray for a few frames, in essense "activating" his X-ray at a later time than Cyber Sub. If not, this poses two conflicting scenarios - one where the second player to activate X-ray wins, the other where the first player to activate the X-ray wins.

Like I said, if Sub-Zero had charged his X-ray, it would possibly alter who the game considered to have activated X-ray "most recently." If you can, please test a quick situation with fully charging Sub's X-ray vs not Charging to see who the game considers to activate X-ray most recently, if this is indeed how the armor-stealing property works. Also consider that who the game considers to be armorless as X-rays clash may work similarly to how the game gives random priority to one player should two normals clash.

Edit: One note about testing Baraka's X-ray vs a forceball. Are there any start-up frames on his X-ray prior to the armor activating where he may be vulnerable? If so, try a situation where Baraka activates as late as possible without Reptile counter-Xraying to make sure Baraka isn't simply losing to the forceball by itself. On a few occasions playing Sub-Zero, I X-rayed on reaction to projectiles thinking I would armor through them, only to lose and have my X-ray stuffed. I learned Sub's X-ray requires a few activation frames before he is considered "armored," thus explaining why my X-rays lost on reaction. I'm sure you're aware of such situations and know which X-rays require time to activate armor. This is simply something I do not want you to overlook during experimentation.

the point of this isnt a set up, its to clear up the idea that xray's armor break when they actually dont.

archon

Noob
Oh, okay. You can disregard my edit to my previous post. If I understand correctly, it's not a matter of "who activates first," but for how long an X-ray is activated. This makes sense and debunks the "Who activated first" hypothesis in a scenario with Sub-Zero and Reptile since their X-rays are rather long (they need time to travel across the screen). It wouldn't matter whether, say Cyber Sub or Sub-Zero activated first since Sub-Zero's dash is so long. Its time-frame is longer than Cyber-Sub's and disables armor.

This would pose a different question, then. If activating an X-ray disables your opponents armor, should both players X-ray simultaneously, who would win? The player who's X-ray is longer (frame-wise), since in theory their opponent's would be armorless longer? From full screen, if Reptile and Baraka X-ray simultaneously, who would win? Test this, test Reptile X-raying first into Baraka's X-ray, and Baraka X-raying first into Reptile's X-ray. If the results are identical, it could mean whoever has the longer X-ray would win due to their opponent being armorless longer. For example, if Baraka's wiffs from full-screen yet Reptile's connects, Baraka "should" be safe because of his X-ray's super armor, yet Reptile's X-ray might connect due to it disabling Baraka's armor all together.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
I LOVE that more and more things are being found and defined about the game mechanics of MK9. Kudos to you guys for puttin' in work.