What's new

X Ray Moves

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
What does everyone think about them? So far I compare them to bringing in weapons for MK4. Unnecessary and possibly broken.

dubson

Noob
i love them, they are like special moves. barakas looks fucking awesome, as well as many others.

they are part of mk9 so i will like them no matter what also

X820

Noob
Personally I'm not worried about Xrays beeing broken, with all the patching that is lined up.
To me they are kind of like fatalities, the first few times is cool, after that you can't stop thinking, again?
They take too long imo.

Dreamcatcher said:
What does everyone think about them? So far I compare them to bringing in weapons for MK4. Unnecessary and possibly broken.
No way. They're literally identical to Supers and Ultras from SF; you use up your entire meter for one high damage move/combo. They hardly seem broken, especially since most of them are blockable and have to be comboed into, just like SF. I like them, they add a lot of depth to a game that could really use it.

As for them taking too long, I agree with that. Blame SF4 for popularizing cutscenes in a fighting game.

I don't see how they're anything like weapons. I like them and it will be interested to see how they're used in high level play. I also don't think they're broken but since we've only played a demo with 4 characters, there's no way to tell.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Dreamcatcher said:
Couldn't disagree more with this. The X-ray moves are just an equivalent of a super bar in SSF, Agression meter in MKT, or a special meter in the WWE wrestling games. You get rewarded for being aggressive and taking more risks.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Teh Yelloew Caiboarg Gai said:
They look intense, but tourneyfags will baww about them.
tourneyfags? baww? Im not even sure what baww means but I assume you mean some form of complaining.
At any rate tournament players, or any competitive players for that matter will make the best use of the meter they can. If Xrays are the best use of meter(and I think this likely) most people will use them rather than complain about them. I think the cutscenes are a little to long and drawn out, especially on a mechanic your likely to be using often. But again we can blame that one on SF4.

Dark_Rob said:
tourneyfags? baww? Im not even sure what baww means but I assume you mean some form of complaining.
At any rate tournament players, or any competitive players for that matter will make the best use of the meter they can. If Xrays are the best use of meter(and I think this likely) most people will use them rather than complain about them. I think the cutscenes are a little to long and drawn out, especially on a mechanic your likely to be using often. But again we can blame that one on SF4.
Baww means to whine & bitch about it. I didn't say that the X-Ray moves are pointless, in fact they got me hyped the most about MK, I just think that some person is going to find an exploit using it. And on a related note of sorts, I'm the one who is most hyped about MK because all the dumbshits at my school think Modern Warfare 3 is gonna be teh best Gaem evar. But I am looking foward to pissing my friends off by doing the X-Ray moves.

I was wondering whether they should change the input for the x-rays. So rather than just a simple 2 button press maybe add some sort of combination (sf style). It just seems a bit easy for players to press two buttons as a last ditch attempt to win. A larger button input would require a bit more speed and skill from the player.

X820

Noob
IceyTruth said:
I was wondering whether they should change the input for the x-rays. So rather than just a simple 2 button press maybe add some sort of combination (sf style). It just seems a bit easy for players to press two buttons as a last ditch attempt to win. A larger button input would require a bit more speed and skill from the player.
I couldn't agree more on this, I'm not sure if I posted this here or on a another forum..

It seems almost pointless to me to have the strongest move in the game (and more then often a key factor in winning) to be set at a simple 2 button input.

If they are mimicking Street Fighter, they should do it right.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
X820 said:
I couldn't agree more on this, I'm not sure if I posted this here or on a another forum..

It seems almost pointless to me to have the strongest move in the game (and more then often a key factor in winning) to be set at a simple 2 button input.

If they are mimicking Street Fighter, they should do it right.
To me, it seems like a semi attempt to rip off SF, while still using trademark MK/Midway taste. (see video below)

I compare them to MK4 weapons because they, so far, seem simple to use. They seem untapped with these four characters as far as how devastating they can be. I know a lot of you are saying, "that's ok they have patches ready." But get real, I'm not going to give Boon kudos for making a style his own when he invented his OWN style with the classic MK's. Some of it seems desperate to get MK back into pure mainstream gaming. Not to contradict myself, but I do appreciate Midway being willing to fix any bullshit they miss this time around. That is very cool.

But whatever happened to just beating the shit out of each other with a few special moves? The complexity was utilizing the simplicity to your gain. Now that involves cut-scenes and a meter only present since MK vs. DC, and look how well that did. lol

Don't get me wrong, I think the game will be good. I just think the backbone of the game looks too much like their competitor's and that could be its downfall.

I can't wait to cycle through the whole roster and play against some people on here. It will be a lot of fun to learn. In fact, I will probably take off the following Wednesday to play all the next day. Whoever is with me on that idea, feel free to let me know.

Don't get me wrong, I think the game will be good. I just think the backbone of the game looks too much like their competitor's and that could be its downfall.
I believe the opposite actually. The past 3D MK's have tried to do their own thing and they've been shit. If MK has to borrow some core gameplay elements from Street Fighter to make it into a competent fighting game, then I'm ok with that. That doesn't mean it's derivative or unoriginal, it's definitely different enough at a fundamental level to make it its own game, but the SF formula works and it's proven itself over the last decade. Ed Boon seems to realize that and I think we'll have a great MK game now because of it.

X820

Noob
If the X-rays were more like those injuries it would make the game more fast pased while keeping the eye candy element in there. Would be a huge improvement imo.

When you look at early (true) MK games, they had 'patches' in terms of revisions, so this is not new, the fact that they are putting in so much effort into this WITH players feedback is something we always wanted.

If this game is going to be different from MKDC, there is really no point in judging it as so btw.

They are trying to make a tournament worthy fighter this time around, wich means that this game has to appeal to a larger crowd.

Wich fighter is the undisputed #1 game at the moment?

Exactly.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Good points all around. I'm more optimistic than I was, thank you for that. I must absolutely loathe SF more than I thought.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
I wonder if there will be an option to change xrays in the settings? Personally, I'd rather have xrays a little sped up with no camera zoom ins, and have the original slow-mo zoom ins if the xray connects during a finishing blow/combo just for a nice dramatic effect (they really look badass btw).

When I saw the xrays a while back I thought a specific button command would be required for each successive hit which i think would be more challenging.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
Yeah man I know. It definitely won't work online (unless both players switch it off) so I could see why they most likely aren't even going to give an option for it :( Xray is very nice eye candy for sure, but the average clock time for the animation (8-10 sec) is a wee bit long I find. One interesting thing I noticed that the timer stands still for the duration of the special.. hmmmm

btw stupid question but i'm guessing it's impossible to break out of an xray?

X820

Noob
I totally agree man, been saying it since day one.

I don't think that there will be breakers for Xrays, if there are I would so over-train in those breakers.

On the other hand, if you need a bathroom break during a match of MK9, just do an Xray lol.

Goofart said:
Yeah man I know. It definitely won't work online (unless both players switch it off) so I could see why they most likely aren't even going to give an option for it :( Xray is very nice eye candy for sure, but the average clock time for the animation (8-10 sec) is a wee bit long I find. One interesting thing I noticed that the timer stands still for the duration of the special.. hmmmm

btw stupid question but i'm guessing it's impossible to break out of an xray?
In the middle of a combo, you can breaker SubZero's Xray.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
IMO X-RAY moves are the best thing u can do with these supermeters it is gory and very nice to use