What's new

Strategy Working grave rot into your game

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
In a sesh a while back and a friend mentioned how little I used grave rot, and I gave some excuse about how its impractical in the heat of a match/I dont use many strings that are cancelable and in in a hard knockdown allowing be to gas up . After seeing how much free damage it added he insisted that I find ways to consistently sneak it in. Well I have some match experience with this strat and its proven consistent so im ready to share.

After a WC(mb) the best set up imo is the double dash stance switch cross up, the stance switch allows for easy timing of the cross up and leaves room for some mind games. Another popular older setup is the WC(mb)-Grave Rot-WC to hit on the frame they wake. Now when you combine these two tactics you get a consistent way to throw your grave rot on and still have a chance to connect for big ez damage. The formula is WC(mb)-double dash-grave rot-j2~11xxHands(mb)~JI2~b1(reset)4
This easily and safely puts the grave rot on and allows you to chose between any set up that the double dash stance switch would give you. Another special thing about this is it will not cross up, so building a fear of the cross up then throwing this out will net you a free 60+%. Not to mention you can still just throw the f13~11xxHands(on hit)if you think they are waiting for the cross. You also have time to grave rot and hit your overall better(imo)overhead f3 if you so please(also can you say unclashable?). This is free damage added on to grundys already highly damaging combos, and another realm of mind games to toy with your opponent. You also have the option to ex the grave rot in this set up for an extra bar(not too much more damage, but I may work on a way to get the double rot in there for a really nice increase).

The only other solid application for Grave Rot is off your b1 reset. Canceling b1 into and ex rot then grabbing starts the rot for the whole chain, this open up the power chain a little more because it keeps the opponent closest to you for the longest(it gets the highest increase in damage, but that increase is still equal to health chain with an ex grave rot. This does give you the bonus of the damage chain with the max possible so it is a great way to end the first round).

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
I like to do:
WC(mb) GR (slight pause) dash up f13, b1, f3, WC, delay WC, WCC or trait.
simple and very effective due to the amount of options you have.

Gruff757

The Gruff
I dont ever jump with him...its best not to imo.
i know you SHOULDNT jump with him, but what I'm getting at is that majority of the people that know about the reset itself know the general way to get out of it is to jump if the grundy player fucks up, the ji2 is a good way to discourage the jumping and get some pretty good damage along the way because ji2 will beat any jumping attack attempt and jumping away attempt since the b1 has so much hit stun on it and basically allows you to do whatever the hell you want on hit.

But yeah, jumping with grundy is pretty bad, but that is one of those times where I think jumping with grundy will scare the opponent into not jumping away after B1, you know?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
i know you SHOULDNT jump with him, but what I'm getting at is that majority of the people that know about the reset itself know the general way to get out of it is to jump if the grundy player fucks up, the ji2 is a good way to discourage the jumping and get some pretty good damage along the way because ji2 will beat any jumping attack attempt and jumping away attempt since the b1 has so much hit stun on it and basically allows you to do whatever the hell you want on hit.

But yeah, jumping with grundy is pretty bad, but that is one of those times where I think jumping with grundy will scare the opponent into not jumping away after B1, you know?
yea but then isnt f1 or f3 still gonna work? you get the benfit of their jump and the 50/50 still works

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
you do know you can combo off of MB Grave Rot, right? B1~MB GR, 112" " combos
You can, but its not free just like any b1xxrot cancel option. Out of all of the cast I feel grundys 11xxoverhead/low option are the easiest to react to. Two mids to start and a very visible difference in the overhead and the low. This string is great when hit confirmed off a j2 or when used to pressure/punish, but outside of that its hella blockable and will get you blown up immediately after the competent player blocks. Its free pressure, yes but once that b1 has landed its free damage so I really dont waste the meter to cancel ever tbh

D
Do you guys mean you still get Guaranteed Trait after B1 canceled into MB GR????? Because I can never get that, I do MB GR after MB SH right before B1:/
I dont think its guaranteed, and if it is we're talking a tiny frame gap so if you are inconsistent on the normal reset there no way in hell you are getting that every time

When it come to meter burning a grave rot in any situation its just a waste to me mathematically. Lets say you do a raw b1xxgrave rot into your health chain. That nets you a nice 9% increase turning 31 into 40(sometimes I get 42 and 43, but im guessing the rot is hitting once before the grab starts). Now if you do a normal grave rot then health grab it gives you 36%, thats only 4% for an entire bar of meter. With this bar you could have gotten a combo from full screen, or you could have done a bnb for 50+% off of one hit confirm. With this bar you could have pulled a clutch f3(mb) on someone abusing grab immune strings. The only time I see real use in meter burning a grave rot is when you know you will kill(unless you know and count the damage of each attack you do it isnt wise to hope with your last bar that adding a meter burned rot will kill), or when you want to keep the positional and damage boosting effects of the power chain while having the same damage as the health chain(not guna lie, this is actually hella useful)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Graverot is always the first thing I do when I have space full screen.

I hardly ever use power chain. I don't see the point when I sacrifice damage to use it :/

His combos are usually short enough ending in trait that it hardly seems necessary. I almost always use health or chip

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Graverot is always the first thing I do when I have space full screen.

I hardly ever use power chain. I don't see the point when I sacrifice damage to use it :/

His combos are usually short enough ending in trait that it hardly seems necessary. I almost always use health or chip
See the way I see it the moment you use grave rot full screen your losing damage on the power up, and leaving yourself open to be blown up on reaction and its gone. If you do the wcdoubledash you literally waste nothing and its safe because of the hard knockdown.

Yes that's the problem with it, !but! Because if the animation for the power chain he opponent is in grave rot range longer. This makes a meter burned power chain do the same damage as a healh chain while giving you the damage bonus.

The only situation I find it really useful is if I want them close to me after a chain while not sacrificing damage, or to lead into the next round with a power bonus without sacrificing damage.

Not sure why this is new to people or why people aren't doing this. I've been doing this since day 1 grundy. mb wc 2 dash grave rot and either neutral jump which later people called corpse hop raw trait or f1,3 trait. if the f13 hits it does about 55% off opening. I use it from time to time randomly if I have space but most of the time I don't have space where I can do it. I'm not a fan of any of the mb grave rot set ups and combo's unless you're going for unclashable death.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Can someone explain B1~MBGR~112MBSW? Just an example. But I don't get how you guys are saying that MBGR can combo. Because when I do this, they can simply jump away right after my MBGR before I can manage to get them with a normal string or grab.

Also...

Does doing MBGR then normal GR do any good? It seems like it does more damage but not sure if it's worth it/practical.

BaronVonRupert

"Mere child's play."
Can someone explain B1~MBGR~112MBSW? Just an example. But I don't get how you guys are saying that MBGR can combo. Because when I do this, they can simply jump away right after my MBGR before I can manage to get them with a normal string or grab.

Also...

Does doing MBGR then normal GR do any good? It seems like it does more damage but not sure if it's worth it/practical.
input the 112 a little before the animation of GR ends. it's a little tricky at first but it isn't too bad.
i don't think double gr is practical. not the best use of meter/time to me.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
input the 112 a little before the animation of GR ends. it's a little tricky at first but it isn't too bad.
i don't think double gr is practical. not the best use of meter/time to me.
its definately a clutch combo u can get up to 72% midscreen from a b1 MB rot but yeah i dont think ive even attempted this combo vs a human ... yet ;)

Yes that's the problem with it, !but! Because if the animation for the power chain he opponent is in grave rot range longer. This makes a meter burned power chain do the same damage as a healh chain while giving you the damage bonus.

Also leaves u closer to them.....and any follow up combo that ends in health chain will do 45% to 50%. Also power (i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure it raises chip dmg) meaning those slivers will be just 1 block swamp hands away from ur victory. I've notice the power chain is use full in some match ups....and in the corner....cause u can do his crazy mix up corner game if u have meter...and just destroy them.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
What I like to do is if I have them cornered and I feel ballsy....

112 ex swamp hands, ex grave rot, b1, f3/f1 mixup 11 ex spamp hands grave rot, b1 trait grab

It'l hurt and honestly they probably will die before you can even finish this combo off.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
What I like to do is if I have them cornered and I feel ballsy....

112 ex swamp hands, grave rot, b1, f3/f1 mixup 11 ex spamp hands ex grave rot, b1 trait grab

It'l hurt and honestly they probably will die before you can even finish this combo off.
sorry to nit pick but dont u mean MB grave rot before the regular one ?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Not sure why this is new to people or why people aren't doing this. I've been doing this since day 1 grundy. mb wc 2 dash grave rot and either neutral jump which later people called corpse hop raw trait or f1,3 trait. if the f13 hits it does about 55% off opening. I use it from time to time randomly if I have space but most of the time I don't have space where I can do it. I'm not a fan of any of the mb grave rot set ups and combo's unless you're going for unclashable death.
This
every
single
time

The only thing I'll do diff. is when your opponent understands this setup
i'll use f3 (if i have a shit ton of meter i'll MB it).

Why make something that is awesome ..... harder?

I'm not going to say that Fly is "wrong" or that you are "wrong" on anything. Clearly there are two ways to play this character effectively. You both value the damage from the health chain more than I do. I value the damage buff from the power chain more than you guys do. Either way, the setups all work the same.... it is just how you are "playing" Grundy.