What's new

Winter Brawl 2011 Planning Thread

Noob
Summary posts from UMK.com

Dark_Rob said:
Ok gents. One of the things Id like to do before Winter Brawl is plan out exactly what we are going to do and how we are going to handle things.

NEC was the biggest MK tourney we have run to date and as a result the first day was kind of a clusterfuck. We did much better on the 2nd day because before we did anything we all got together and talked and planned out what were going to do and as a result the 2nd day was much much smoother.

So a few things I would like to bring up and see change from NEC.

1. MK2.
MK2 was BADLY mishandled on Saturday at NEC. Those guys hardly got to play any casuals(if any) at all before the tournament itself. Being as the MK2 tourney will also be held on Saturday at WB, one of the first things we should do Saturday morning is see to it these guys have a dedicated MK2 setup to play on.
It wasnt right that these guys got shafted at NEC. Alot of guys from CMK are coming again to WB and this time we need to show them that they're game is important to.
(Im not blaming anyone for NEC here, it was a clusterfuck. Shit happens. Lets learn from it and move on)

2. UMK3
After we see to it that the MK2 players are good to go we can focus on UMK3 casuals.
We should have two dedicated setups if possible.
One setup dedicated to your standard Mk stick and pad setup and another more flexible setup that we can mish mash with standard controllers and other peoples more custom/oddball controllers (read Marvirrasta's stick lol)
Also I believe Storms is bringing his mega cab again which has since been upgraded with all new Happ sticks and buttons.
UMK3 is casuals all day that day so in some regard we should try and be more sensitive to the MK2 players needs on that day.

3.MKDC.
Yes I know we hate it lol. But the players are once again coming out for it. So we need to find a spot for them to set up.
This wasnt handled to badly at NEC, however I think we should avoid trying to run MKDC on the same day as UMK3. Therefore I think we should run it on Saturday after MK2. We have the time to do this if we focus on getting the MK2 guys set up early so they have plenty of time to play casuals, enabling us to have the MK2 tourney fairly early.
We can have the MKDC players up and running at the same time and run the MKDC after MK2. Maybe in the late afternoon early evening.

Sunday should be exclusively dedicated to UMK3. And we need to start way earlier than we did at NEC. If we want to make the stream we need to get down to Top 8 far faster than we did at NEC. Shock brought up a good suggestion about having a 2nd setup of UMK3 to blow through losers bracket matchups that dont really need to be recorded. This is one of the biggest things that I think will help us blow through these matches.

Planning and smart use of our resources will win the day at Winter Brawl. We can do this. Its just with the MK tourneys getting bigger and bigger we are going to have to plan more to make it go off without a hitch.
We will need the practice anyway because come MK9 we are really going to be neck deep in it.

Anyway this is how I see it. Feel free to make any changes or recommendations guys. If we all work together to plan this out ahead of time we can pull this off without a hitch.

Also anyone with a laptop/PC capable of running mame flawlessly should bring it if they can. The more setups we have the more flexible and speedy we can be.

Shock said:
Goals for Saturday:

Get two tables.

MKII on PS3 with a good TV/flat screen, 2 pads, 2 sticks.

UMK3 main setup on my TV, with 4 sticks, 2 PS2 pads, and 2 X360 pads.

UMK3 Megacab for extra casuals.

MKvDC setup will most likely be taken care of by the 3D guys. We should try to maybe use one of the Magic TVs for them since it's likely Check will record onto his computer and a TV with video out makes it easier for him. I will talk to DanCock about maybe picking up Check this time around unless Phil has the ability to pick him up and drop him off, or at the very least drop him off.

Any other MK setups will be a bonus. I don't expect to do much more than that on Saturday. One of the tables will be used for the laptop we run the brackets on for MKII and MKvDC, or KI if we decide to run it.

Goals for Sunday:

UMK3 is the dedicated game, if any MKII or 3D players are still around, we can try our best to make sure they have something to play but we have to make sure we have enough stations for 2 UMK3 tournament set ups and a laptop to run the brackets. I would love to be able to have a laptop with a chat open so we can communicate live with people as we're running non streamed matches. We most likely will not have 32 players this time around, but if we do I welcome it. I expect 24 currently, and with that, we'll use the main setup again, and have an auxiliary set up with two sticks and two pads, and perhaps any pads that are extremely specific button configs. This setup can be run on a PC or Laptop with a flat screen. It will be used for the matches that do not need to be recorded.

When the tournament starts, we can probably blow through 10 sets in 20 to 25 minutes, and I would advise anyone who is helping out to get cell numbers of all players so we can contact them, we should probably dedicate a phone for that purpose, and also finding players in general is a big deal. Sometimes players don't want to give out their cell numbers. We do have a lot of them already so it should be easier this time around. No need to wait to move onto Losers bracket if we have two setups either. The secondary setup will eventually be dedicated to Losers Bracket matches once the first round Winners Bracket is complete.

With 24 players I don't really see any first round winners bracket matches not containing a player worth recording, but chances are all but 1 or 2 Losers bracket first rounds will not be record worthy. The goal is to get to the top 8 by no later than 6PM so we'll need to get the tournament going by about 3PM, and that means taking signups between 12 and 3PM. With two stations we can achieve that, one station it would take 4 hours to get through 16 sets of UMK3 tournament matches. We also need to establish rules, and match counts. For now we need to consider:

Winner repick is allowed but must be announced by winner before the loser picks, or if the loser picks too quickly they may repick if winner doesn't want to stay.

Robot Smoke changing to Human Smoke mid match is not permitted and Human Smoke must be selected through his portrait.

Noob Saibot banned until further notice.

Normal Rounds 2/3
Winners Semis 3/5
Losers Semis 3/5
Winners Finals 3/5
Losers Finals 3/5
Grand Finals 4/7

We use to record everything but that's when there was no live footage of MK games really to be found. Now it's no longer necessary to record each and every match. Mandatory recording would be definitely 3rd round winners and 3rd round losers on, and likely several second round winners and losers. With two setups, the added matches to Semis shouldn't make a huge difference.

So for example:

R1 Winners
Hubbs
\
/
BlueIX
DarkRob

These are optionally recorded matches but,

R1 Losers
Hubbs
BlueIX

Obviously since neither player practices the game, its unnecessary to record and can be played as soon as the extra setup and players available, while other higher profile matches are going on. I've always tried to make all players in UMK3 tournament feel special and in the hotseat, but in any tournament I've ever played in otherwise, I've generally felt like I was on the side/inconsequential so I don't think anyone will mind playing on the auxiliary setup while other matches are going on. I guess it's just due to the fact that we're starting to need more than one setup.

However

R2 Winners
DarkRob

Would be a mandatory recorded match.

Also speaking of recording, on Saturday STORMS and I, along with some others, are going to do a round table interview (I believe) so we're going to need to dedicate some time to that.

Again I must stress, two setups and diligence will be completely necessary to ensure we get through to the top 8 in time for the stream, and when I say get to top 8 by 6:30, I mean so if we can't do top 8 and need a half hour to play through to top 4 by 7 we'll have it. I, or Phil will talk to the stream guys to determine the time frame, but they have come to us and asked where our brackets stood at ECT2, Summer Jam, and NECXI during the tournaments themselves. So, if you're on the staff (we'll go over that next) and you see the extra station is not being used for tournament, and then look at the brackets and see a match can be done, get that match going and let me or Phil know. Just make sure nothing is going to waste.

Staff:

Shock
DarkRob
Summoning
AC1984

All of us will need shirts.

Noob
Ok, I will most likely be there with Mel and invading Philadelphia with my dogs again...LOL

Anyway... onto some other things that need some clarifying...

I agree with both Rob and Shock here on almost all counts... I get caught up alot in setup of UMK3 on Saturday very early all the time even when it's not priority, so on saturday of WB, MK2 is priority, period end of paragraph.

We will have alot of things to handle, as always, at WB...so a good level of coordination is necessary this time.

Here's a quick rundown of the way I see things and lets try to mesh all of our perspectives into one solid plan that we all work to achieve as effeciently as possible.

Section A - The games

We will be responsible for running the following:
1. UMK3
2. MK2
3. MKDC
4. KI
5. SFA3

*Any other 3DMK game that the group wants to run, they can run on Saturday around the other setups. MKDC is priority in terms of 3D MK games.

Section B - Timetable

Saturday
-Basic Setup - 11am - Casuals for MK2 and MKDC should be up and running by noon
-Set up SFA3 - immediately following basic setup of MK2 and MKDC - should be completed by 12:15-12:30pm.
-Set up KI - immediately following set up of SFA3
-Set up UMK3 - immediately following set up of SFA3
-SFA3 Tournament - to start by 1pm
-MK2 Tournament - 3pm start(allowing for 3 hours of MK2 casuals)
-MKDC Tournament - 3pm start(allowing for 3 hours of MKDC casuals)
-KI Tournament - to start by 4pm
-Break down setups

*The goal here is to get all the games being run as a tournament set up before we set up UMK3 for casuals.

**Registrations for each game will take place during casuals and all times leading up to the tournament start time. Payment must be made by the first match.

Sunday
-Basic Setup - 11am - get UMK3 set up on 2 complete setups
-UMK3 tournament - 2pm SHARP! If we want to make the stream, we need to start EARLY!!!
-Breakdown setups

**Registrations for each game will take place during casuals and all times leading up to the tournament start time. Payment must be made by the first match.

Section C - Recording

We need to make the best use possible of our recording methods. As of right now, STORMS has taken over the recording responsibilities which is an immense help. I think we need to handle it a little differently still. I have 2 different ways of possibly recording directly to a pc, however I may need an external hard drive and possibly another pc or laptop to run it from. I will test these methods in the coming week or so and make sure they work and purchase whatever I need to get direct recording for posting purposes.

-STORMS, I still want you to record the way you have been... the ambient crowd noise and tournament noise is imperative to showing people what the atmosphere is like.

-Multiple setups and volunteers to handle recording:
--CHECK will handle MKDC direct recording and most likely any other 3D games.
--Need volunteer for MKDC ambient recording
--STORMS will handle MK2(unless Nit's boy comes again) ambient recording
--9.95/Shock will handle MK2 direct recording
--9.95/Summoning will handle KI ambient recording
--STORMS will handle UMK3 ambient recording
--Need volunteer for secondary UMK3 ambient recording
--9.95/Shock will handle UMK3 direct recording

*Ambient recording is defined as recording with a standalone handheld or tripod based camera.

**Direct recording is defined as recording using a direct feed to a capture device on a pc.

Section D - Equipment

I would like to make a full equipment check no later than 1 week prior to the event, so we need to have an equipment conference on February 19th.

Basic equipment(non game specific)
-USB Hubs - Rob's PC has 3 USB inputs, and we needed 4 sticks and 4 pads plugged in at all times for UMK3. We will need no less than 3 USB hubs, 4-5 preferrable.

-Surge protectors - as many as possible... between 5-10 should be good.

-Extension cords - 5 should be ok

-3 prong adapters - should have at least 3

-Speakers(I will provide 2 sets for 2 pc's) - might need one more set...not sure yet

*if I missed anything or anything needs to be added, please update this part of the list

Saturday Equipment
-MK2 Tournament
--1 PS3 with MK2 installed
--1 power cord for ps3(standard PC cord)
--1 standard composite cable for PS3(red/yellow/white)
--1 set of cables to match Dookiebrain's and Summoning's projectors(need info guys)
--2 PS3 MK layout sticks
--2 PS3 controllers however, controllers should be BYOC
--1 CRT television
--1 projector in case we can make it work
--1 camera (STORMS WILL PROVIDE) for ambient recording
--1 tripod for the camera
--1 laptop (9.95 will provide) for running brackets
--1 PC for direct recording + connections
--1 monitor for the pc
--1 direct capture device (9.95 will provide) + wires

--MKDC Tournament
--1 PS3 with MKDC installed
--1 power cord for ps3(standard PC cord)
--1 standard composite cable for PS3(red/yellow/white))
--2 PS3 controllers however, controllers should be BYOC
--1 CRT television
--1 camera for ambient recording
--1 tripod for the camera
--1 PC for direct recording + connections (CHECK will provide)
--1 monitor for the pc (I should be able to bring one for CHECK...gotta see)
--1 direct capture device (CHECK will provide) + wires

-KI Tournament
--1 PC With Mame and KI installed
--1 Monitor for the pc
--1 set of cables to match Dookiebrain's and Summoning's projectors(need info guys)
--2 SF style arcade sticks with possible converters if needed
--1 camera for ambient recording (maybe)
--1 tripod for the camera (maybe)

-SFA3 Tournament
--1 PS2 with SFA Anthology (9.95 will provide)
--1 power cord for ps2
--1 standard composite cable for PS2
--1 CRT television
--Sticks and pads will be BYOC

Sunday Equipment
--UMK3 Tournament
-1 Laptop (Rob will provide)
-1 Large screen TV (Shock will provide)
-1 PC for 2nd UMK3 setup (9.95 will provide...most likely)
-1 monitor for PC
- 2-4 USB Hubs
- 4 dedicated UMK3 sticks
- 4 ps2 pads + converters
- 3 wired 360 pads (Shock/9.95) - need one extra
- 2 cameras for ambient recording
- 2 tripods for the cameras
- 1 pc + monitor + wires + capture device for direct recording(9.95 most likely)
- 1 laptop/pc for running brackets (9.95)

Section E - The Stream

-We need to be prepared to stream UMK3 no later than 6:30pm. This leaves us 4 1/2 hours to get through to the top 8. I see no reason why, with 2 setups that we can't handle this efficiently.

--Stream Needs
-1 Laptop (Rob will provide)
-1 Large screen TV (Shock will provide)
- 2-4 USB Hubs
- Sticks and pads as needed by the top 8
- 1 camera for ambient recording
- 1 tripod for the cameras
- 1 capture device to act as a video out to go to the stream + necessary wires
- 1 laptop/pc for running brackets (9.95)

Ok, I think I have covered a majority of this... I will do a summary of the equipment we need in a secondary post that condenses equipment to an exact number and who will/can provide.

Regarding staff: Guys, for this to run effeciently, we need all the staff to work together. Play casuals, do whatever, but if you see other staff doing 3 things at once, help out.

Lastly, you all know that I'm working hard to get WB and NRS to come to Winter Brawl. Alot of this is subject to change IF they do come. We will have to make some serious changes to the timetable and whatnot to accommodate them, and Eric will have to also. For now, stick to the plan until I have some kind of answer if it's actually going to happen. Also...KEEP IT QUIET!!! If we can convince them to come, any leak could mean them changing their minds... don't be the one to ruin it.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Phil, I started making a list of what I can bring. Its huge. Ill post when I get home.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
perfect minus the Mk vs dc part :x

can't wait till WB now.

Phil - if you could send me that tournament file you used at nec so that I can see if it works on my little notebook thing. could you email me at [email protected]

I'll post my plans for MkA and mkD tourney in the room and see if I need anything. I know an extra tv and ps2 would be nice and controllers. but I'll see if check and Riu are coming and they can help with stuff.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
From last time:
1. Cab
2. Camcorder
3. tripod
4. stools (2)
5. laptop

Additional items for WB
1. Regional book sign-in (I'll explain this later)
2. Cab marquee (?)
3. luggage bag full of food and bottled water (fuck playing $11 for a cheeseburger)
4. Additional cab parts (?)
5. 2 PS3 controllers
6, TV's (at least one so far - 19" Sanyo tube tv)
7. MKD, MKA, MKDC games
8. SSF4
9. PS3 system w/ MKII d/l'd to it
10. PS3 controller charger cable
11. PS2 w/ Controllers (2)
12. something else I'm working on... ;)

Tim Static

Adminerator
Um, why dont we use the UMK thread for this that way everyone involved can post in just the one post. Splitting this up into 3 parts makes me wanna MKF myself.

Everyone has access to it there unlike here.

Noob
Um, why dont we use the UMK thread for this that way everyone involved can post in just the one post. Splitting this up into 3 parts makes me wanna MKF myself.

Everyone has access to it there unlike here.
Not everyone.. dan can't see over there and he will be at wb.. I will repost important posts to all sites when I have better internet back than just my phone

DanCock

Cock Master!!

im looking into getting this.. im like 90% sure im getting it. basically it will allow us to connect up to 5 wifi ready machines, like PC's, Laptops and i pods etc..

would this allow us to stream ourselves without having to get help from others? we could set up a justin tv account and stuff..

im also looking into getting the new ipod touch. this way i could record some matches in HD and then immediately up load them to Twitter or face-book.

Noob

im looking into getting this.. im like 90% sure im getting it. basically it will allow us to connect up to 5 wifi ready machines, like PC's, Laptops and i pods etc..

would this allow us to stream ourselves without having to get help from others? we could set up a justin tv account and stuff..

im also looking into getting the new ipod touch. this way i could record some matches in HD and then immediately up load them to Twitter or face-book.
Summoning and I tried that with his at nec and it dosnt work well at that hotel. Decent idea if it gave good speeds but you won't get good enough speeds to stream with.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Summoning and I tried that with his at nec and it dosnt work well at that hotel. Decent idea if it gave good speeds but you won't get good enough speeds to stream with.
ahh so he has that and it didnt work well :/ that sucks.