What's new

Question - Blood God Why no Blood Totem?

I can not seam to work out why no one uses the Blood Totems with Blood God.

We all know that the damage reduction totem is awesome. Damage drop + meter build is legit... but I am starting to think that Blood Totem might be preferable to Damage Buff in most cases.

Obviously it is situational.

I see game after game in the pro league with Madzin and Forever King (the only pro Blood Gods I really know) and see game after game get lost when it seams to me that a blood totem would in fact win the game. Like under 50% health, why would you ever use a Damage Buff, or you see someone neart death and they pull out the Damage Reduction, then attack. Even with the reduction you are going to die, or near die with it up, but with Blood one combo and you are near 1/2 again.. end in a screen push and up sun ray... near full health.. like every time.

I know that the damage redaction has the meter build which is legit.... even so.

Khan's damage is respectable already. I mean sure he can do the massive damage totem moves but when you see Ferra/Tor or SubZero even Kitana pushing 45% you gotta ask, is the Damage Totem really worth it.. I mean Khan can do massive damage with out it that matches the rest of the vast or better. Still, gaining life is a health swing. Doing X Damage and gaining Y Health is always better then doing X+N damage (if it dosn't kill).

Like in a game like MkX which is "his turn/her turn" by gaining health you are affectively doing damage mitigation as their counter attack is getting nullified. If you keep the pressure on you have a 100% health and they are down in the 25% range.

I really think that Blood could iun fact be better in most cases than Damage Buff and in many of the times i see the Reduction used i thin.. "well if that was blood he would be back at near 100% health now, instead of in chip range to die)

Thoughts?

AZTEC-GOD

I will kill you for sport.
I always use it a lot! I use the 3 totems to the best advantage. It has saved me a few times from death.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
ahhh... I didn't know that.. this is huge. Yeah I can see why it is really difficult to use then.

Maybe that should be changed? As this functionality is completely never really used because of that.
The Blood totem is also out for much longer than the other two totems, most people will try to poke you out of the totem or play much more defensively. Usually for me the Defense totem ends up being a better option as I block more damage than i would have healed, or the damage totem as i get more damage from a combo and it works out better than healing. I think Sun ray is better for healing as you can just kind of sit defensively in it with a defense totem if someone wants to play keep away.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
No but seriously, the problem with Blood Totem is that it goes away on hit.
There are plenty if viable kombos where you drop the totem in the middle of the kombo, rather than have it out before you go in. In fact @Madzin uses one of those kombos all the time when he plays blood god.

Here is an example of a Damage Totem drop mid kombo.... if this was a Blood Totem, followed by a Sun Ray Madzin would have been over 60% health easy. You can see this damage totem kombo a few times in this video.
http://loopthetube.com#fxd--6pLZeU&start=461.327&end=467.465

- EDIT -

here is a even better example from that same video.... Damage Totem mid kombo which could have been a Blood Totem just as easy, but would have completely evened the life lead... and maybe lead to a game win, as even after the big damage totem the low life meant it was game over anyway..

http://loopthetube.com#fxd--6pLZeU&start=172.109&end=181.153

Blood Totem was the correct choice here.... unless there is something stopping you casting it mid kombo?

Last edited:

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
If blood totem gave its buffs on hit rather than just going away it would be much more prominent. As it stands you have to setup the totem mid combo and find a way to either finish with the opponent far enough away that the totem detonates before they can get back to you, make your combo last long enough for it to detonate on its own(which will burn meter) or make the combo end in a grab, which will detonate the totem during its animation. Doing a blood totem non mid combo is almost always a letdown because you will almost always get hit before detonation.

I have a setup involving a blood totem that I stole from a friend on reddit:

near the end of the post setup combo the totem detonates for 24% life and 1.5 bars of meter. I lost 10% life in blood offering, and spent a meter during the combo, so its a net gain of 14% life and .5 bars. Its ballin as hell but its a setup for a hard read.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
near the end of the post setup combo the totem detonates for 24% life and 1.5 bars of meter. I lost 10% life in blood offering, and spent a meter during the combo, so its a net gain of 14% life and .5 bars. Its ballin as hell but its a setup for a hard read.
yeah, thar is a "hard read" all right.. but I dig what your selling here.

What we need is a combo that can drop a totem and then take the time to explode it. I tend to use them in mid screens and end with a uppercut, or push to send them right to the other side of the screen.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
If blood totem gave its buffs on hit rather than just going away it would be much more prominent. As it stands you have to setup the totem mid combo and find a way to either finish with the opponent far enough away that the totem detonates before they can get back to you, make your combo last long enough for it to detonate on its own(which will burn meter) or make the combo end in a grab, which will detonate the totem during its animation. Doing a blood totem non mid combo is almost always a letdown because you will almost always get hit before detonation.

I have a setup involving a blood totem that I stole from a friend on reddit:

not surprised that it's from reddit

Granted, the grab can be tech'd and thus back in the same scenario of having to avoid being hit before totem explodes. I've used this before:

F1B2, blood totem, B14, EX Airgrab, F2, B122 (non EX) disc followed by a backdash on block or hit works against non teleportation characters. I used to do all the same excluding the B122 disc and did and uppercut after the F2 but would still have to wait about 2 - 3 more seconds before it exploded.

Honestly I wish the blood totem would let you deactivate it by doing the same DB3 and take advantage of the damage you've already obtained. But this is just wishful thinking in MKX life...

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I can not seam to work out why no one uses the Blood Totems with Blood God.

We all know that the damage reduction totem is awesome. Damage drop + meter build is legit... but I am starting to think that Blood Totem might be preferable to Damage Buff in most cases.

Obviously it is situational.

I see game after game in the pro league with Madzin and Forever King (the only pro Blood Gods I really know) and see game after game get lost when it seams to me that a blood totem would in fact win the game. Like under 50% health, why would you ever use a Damage Buff, or you see someone neart death and they pull out the Damage Reduction, then attack. Even with the reduction you are going to die, or near die with it up, but with Blood one combo and you are near 1/2 again.. end in a screen push and up sun ray... near full health.. like every time.

I know that the damage redaction has the meter build which is legit.... even so.

Khan's damage is respectable already. I mean sure he can do the massive damage totem moves but when you see Ferra/Tor or SubZero even Kitana pushing 45% you gotta ask, is the Damage Totem really worth it.. I mean Khan can do massive damage with out it that matches the rest of the vast or better. Still, gaining life is a health swing. Doing X Damage and gaining Y Health is always better then doing X+N damage (if it dosn't kill).

Like in a game like MkX which is "his turn/her turn" by gaining health you are affectively doing damage mitigation as their counter attack is getting nullified. If you keep the pressure on you have a 100% health and they are down in the 25% range.

I really think that Blood could iun fact be better in most cases than Damage Buff and in many of the times i see the Reduction used i thin.. "well if that was blood he would be back at near 100% health now, instead of in chip range to die)

Thoughts?
I have played a lot more SG than BG, but I've played BG for hours too.

Here's how I do. I always start every round with a Defense Totem as soon as I safely can. BG is about feeling your opponent out and, after the first blow, you usually take a few hits before you can get back in.

The meter building totem (Blood Totem), I generally use in the 2nd round when I have won the first. Keeping it in play almost guarantees you a meter lead in the 3rd if you don't win the 2nd.

Lastly, I have specific setups that trade damage to get a tome down for wake-up opportunities that I use the damage buff for. If they have no meter, I'm always going to use these. Otherwise, I generally save them for when they hit the 50% mark - since any punish after that generally will end the round. Trust your reflexes though and don't give away what you're doing ahead of time. Without any cue, they'll have to guess on how to wake-up.

The setups for totem wake-ups opportunities are what you need to learn to go from Sun to Blood. If you've never seen them done properly, watch Harry Otter's matches on Youtube. He utilizes some really creative setups. My setups are much less diverse.

Random note and probably already known but if the opponent has no meter, a 114 Blood Totem followed by a grab is effective if you need Health/Meter back.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAV

REO

Undead
This is an old video but I uploaded a Blood Totem combo for one bar with a guaranteed Blood Offering damage boost afterwards. This works against anyone in the cast and the combo does 29%.

I never made a thread about it but it can be useful for some of you that may not know about it. The combo gives you over 15%+ health back also after the totem is done.

This is an old video but I uploaded a Blood Totem combo for one bar with a guaranteed Blood Offering damage boost afterwards. This works against anyone in the cast and the combo does 29%.

I never made a thread about it but it can be useful for some of you that may not know about it. The combo gives you over 15%+ health back also after the totem is done.
Might be able to squeeze a tad bit more out of that by using B14 EX Air Grab into the B32 Hard Knockdown. Good stuff either way

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
It drains the meter of the opponent right? I'd think it would be very useful to keep the opponent from gaining meter for a reversal when you have them in the corner.

It drains the meter of the opponent right? I'd think it would be very useful to keep the opponent from gaining meter for a reversal when you have them in the corner.
Been using it more recently and im not seeing the opponents meter drain. In fact all im seeing is my health increase slightly based on the amount of damage I do and a bit more meter for me. Someone prove me wrong cause I think its bugged again.

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
It does not drain Meter . It just reduces what is gained and gives some back to kotal.
It will also prevent an opponent from using xray on wake up after a juggle. And using it for end of round does not give you meter.