What's new

Question Why is Skarlet so difficult online?

Hi guys, I read a lot of stuff and threads etc on TYM and it really helped me a lot, I also like the idea of having a community where people can give advice and offer support, a very good thing :)
So I just signed up, and few sec ago became a new member!

I have been playing a lot of MK9 last 2 months, and just started learning Skarlet for 2/3 weeks ago. I have read Usedforglues breakdown and also a guide by RedRaptor which where very helpful. Now: I can actually play quite well with Skarlet (I thought) untill I came online, it just seems that nothing is working properly! =/ Moves like dash and combos where you want to link in 2 almost doesnt seem to work, while comparing to offline I can easily do all kind of combos and land them till 40/50 %. Does anyone else has this problem and if so: could you please give me some help/advice etc??

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Lag, man. May not feel it, but it's there. Everything has to be adjusted for the ever watching Lag Gods who hate you for playing online. Thing is, the only way to overcome it is to play a lot and get used to it, but that's gonna ruin you offline. So... it takes time to adapt, basically. Sorry

Mosp

Noob
This is everyone's problem with MK online, it's just not very good. You just have to get used to the lag and input delay which isn't easy and only comes from playing online a lot. The only advice I can give would be to try to not pickup bad online habits like jumping a lot and try to anti-air even though it fails a good portion of the time. Everything else just comes from playing online a lot and getting used to the delay. Welcome to the community by the way!

Thanks a lot! Wow, thats a very fast reaction :) And yes, probably I should just have a lot of experience first with her, my other chars are reptile scorp and kang, but I play them for a long time already and I dont have this problem with them, I just expected Skarlet has some more difficulties (and yes I know she is a very hard char to master) but that it would be that hard online, after practising so many hours I didnt expect :( And yes: MK9 online input delay is even more wurse then the bad connex in MKDC (which was especially slow if not good)

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Learn the bread and butter combos from the guides you find here. Practice them until they are muscle memory, then forget everything you know when you go online cause it changes!!!

In all seriousness, the game changes online. The lag is different in every match, and even the matches that feel just right, aren't perfectly in sync with offline. I picture it like mastering karate, then trying to fight under the ocean where the current will constantly randomly be pushing you one way or another. Online will be this in every match pushing you and pulling you at weird moments, a match that starts fine might end weird, another might feel like its going to drop but become crystal clear right in time for your opponent to land a 50% combo.

I main Skarlet and play online ALOT, so does Ninj and RedRaptor10. You can get used to it and get to a point where you are comfortable doing the highend combos with her, lag or no lag. I've played so much online that I'm used to lag spikes and make adjustments when possible to pull off the most damage, other times just knowing to end the combo early (The reset is the most important part imo) I'd much rather resset them on their feet for sure then screw up an imput due to lag because I got too greedy for damage.

Treat online play as practice sometimes too, don't just try to play ranked all the time, go into matches knowing you are 'in the practice room' in your mind, to learn the different online timing. The offline players will laugh at this I'm sure but hell, some of us just can't make it out to play at events and don't have people in the area to play against so we might as well do the best with what we've got.

Learn her most damaging stuff, BUT, have a plan b for when things are going a little more slowly... This makes it twice as much work to play an already intense character to learn... however as the others in the Skarlet forum can confirm... If you love her you love her, and you'll get over the challenges.

Also remember, Skarlet's mixups are strong and where you are feeling you have a disadvantage in finishing your crazy combos, your opponent is at more of a disadvantage cause they have to guess what you are trying to do, and they have to fight the lag too. Some people say Skarlet has a hard time online, Shit, I say you can turn that into an advantage by making them guess, along with the same lag.

ryublaze

Noob
I have to deal with lag all the time cuz I'm on wireless and I have siblings using the computer 24/7. I got used to it but I still drop a lot of stuff. I usually lose if my opponent is getting away with online tactics like jumping out of 1, 1, 4 on hit. She's the hardest character to use online in my opinion but it feels sooo good to win with her. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. People will acknowledge you for using her online and playing your best. Just have fun with her. It takes a while to get used to the online.

Btw, I wrote a guide?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Lag sucks...don't ever play online.

I lose 60% of my games online and most of the time I'm playing scrubs...offline I'll gove anybody a good fight and give the best a run for their money.

RedRaptor10 I dont know how its all exactly called in english (sorry , im a a little newish to this forum), but I think you wrote some combos and stuff about daggercancelling which where very helpful for me+I saw some impressive vid with a combo+mixing it up on youtube from you :) I am happy to hear I am not the only one suffering from online problems with her (since I expect you must be a great Skarlet player)

@LOrdoftheFLY Yes, I did lose a lot from total noobs only uppercutting and grapping you, it seems this game got a sort of online potential for that if you suffer from input delay/and/or bad connex

Learn the bread and butter combos from the guides you find here. Practice them until they are muscle memory, then forget everything you know when you go online cause it changes!!!

In all seriousness, the game changes online. The lag is different in every match, and even the matches that feel just right, aren't perfectly in sync with offline. I picture it like mastering karate, then trying to fight under the ocean where the current will constantly randomly be pushing you one way or another. Online will be this in every match pushing you and pulling you at weird moments, a match that starts fine might end weird, another might feel like its going to drop but become crystal clear right in time for your opponent to land a 50% combo.

I main Skarlet and play online ALOT, so does Ninj and RedRaptor10. You can get used to it and get to a point where you are comfortable doing the highend combos with her, lag or no lag. I've played so much online that I'm used to lag spikes and make adjustments when possible to pull off the most damage, other times just knowing to end the combo early (The reset is the most important part imo) I'd much rather resset them on their feet for sure then screw up an imput due to lag because I got too greedy for damage.

Treat online play as practice sometimes too, don't just try to play ranked all the time, go into matches knowing you are 'in the practice room' in your mind, to learn the different online timing. The offline players will laugh at this I'm sure but hell, some of us just can't make it out to play at events and don't have people in the area to play against so we might as well do the best with what we've got.

Learn her most damaging stuff, BUT, have a plan b for when things are going a little more slowly... This makes it twice as much work to play an already intense character to learn... however as the others in the Skarlet forum can confirm... If you love her you love her, and you'll get over the challenges.

Also remember, Skarlet's mixups are strong and where you are feeling you have a disadvantage in finishing your crazy combos, your opponent is at more of a disadvantage cause they have to guess what you are trying to do, and they have to fight the lag too. Some people say Skarlet has a hard time online, Shit, I say you can turn that into an advantage by making them guess, along with the same lag.
Johnny2d Thank you Johhny! Thats a lot of information :) About the reset: yes, thats probably the most wise thing to do, constantly to keep the guessing and jailing them. I think I will just have to have a tiny bit of patience with her. And btw: great comparison with karate metafor - that its exactly the way it feels like

Hello guys, this is one of the great players in the EU server, Heroplasma (normally calls himself "Derplastic") He was great in MKDC with Superman and these days he plays with Skarlet in MK9. What do you think of his Skarlet? I am enxious to hear!

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I have to deal with lag all the time cuz I'm on wireless and I have siblings using the computer 24/7. I got used to it but I still drop a lot of stuff. I usually lose if my opponent is getting away with online tactics like jumping out of 1, 1, 4 on hit. She's the hardest character to use online in my opinion but it feels sooo good to win with her. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. People will acknowledge you for using her online and playing your best. Just have fun with her. It takes a while to get used to the online.

Btw, I wrote a guide?
dont you hate that they just jump out of alot of things especially jumping out of ex dagger cancels. Im like wtf was that crap then i just hit them with the over head next and they stop jumping.

dont you hate that they just jump out of alot of things especially jumping out of ex dagger cancels. Im like wtf was that crap then i just hit them with the over head next and they stop jumping.
YES! I recognize the problem completely, also when they are just poking out of all Skarlet strings! (but maybe this is only online, I am not sure)