What's new

Why can’t I roll consistently?

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I swear, my wake-up rolls only come out about 25% of the time. And it’s most often the times when I need them to, and costs me at match. It’s infuriating.

I’ve tried all combinations... press both at the same time, hold direction and press L2, or hold L2 and press the direction... also even tried mashing... I just can’t get it right. The only thing I know is that it has to be done during your stand up animation. But I just can’t figure out the right way to do it consistently.

What am I doing wrong?

(And yes, I only attempt them when I have defensive meter, so it’s not that. It’s definitely my input and/or timing.)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I’ve heard a lot of people saying that but I never had trouble with them. I look at my character, as soon as they start to get up, I press it. But lag is a factor and sometimes it doesn’t come out either.

It’s not during the stand up animation, it’s at the beginning of it. That’s how I get it to work consistently.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It has to do with how the game input engine works. There is a 2 out of 3 chance your roll will be applied to a future breakaway opportunity instead of an actual roll. It's the very basis for the auto breakaway feature.

Yousef

Noob
I had the same problem before but I spent an hour just training to get it right
1-make sure that RC is turned off
2- wait half a sec when you're knocked down then press L2 with the direction
If you press L2 first you'll get a delayed wake up or if you press the direction first you'll do nothing and stand up looking stupid waiting to get hit lol , if it's too much just the way you do wake up 2 or 3 same principal just L2
3- you didn't ask for this but I should warn you that you can still get grabbed out of it and at the end of it where you switch from roll to normal stance there is a very small or tiny window where you can still get hit especially from a low starter
Edit :
If timing is tough for you ,you can rely on the animation wait until you see your character starts standing up and press
Again before that you'll delayed wake up late you'll get nothing

Last edited:

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I had the same problem before but I spent an hour just training to get it right
1-make sure that RC is turned off
2- wait half a sec when you're knocked down then press L2 with the direction
If you press L2 first you'll get a delayed wake up or if you press the direction first you'll do nothing and stand up looking stupid waiting to get hit lol , if it's too much just the way you do wake up 2 or 3 same principal just L2
3- you didn't ask for this but I should warn you that you can still get grabbed out of it and at the end of it where you switch from roll to normal stance there is a very small or tiny window where you can still get hit especially from a low starter
The “stand up and look stupid” is what happens to me, every time, because I’m expecting a roll since that’s what I pressed.

The weird thing is, I do wake-up 3 allllll the time, with 120% consistency (sometimes I press it way too early, have time to change my mind, yet it still comes out, haha).

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
The “stand up and look stupid” is what happens to me, every time, because I’m expecting a roll since that’s what I pressed.

The weird thing is, I do wake-up 3 allllll the time, with 120% consistency (sometimes I press it way too early, have time to change my mind, yet it still comes out, haha).
2 things that helped me: You don't hold anything. You press the direction and the button at the same time. When I would hold it nothing would come out.

And you have to do it earlier than you think, especially online. Always remind yourself that and you'll be fine.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Best thing is when I try to roll into a block and accidentally fatal blow.
Honestly, just mash, if you try and strictly time it then you run the risk of being too late.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
2 things that helped me: You don't hold anything. You press the direction and the button at the same time. When I would hold it nothing would come out.

And you have to do it earlier than you think, especially online. Always remind yourself that and you'll be fine.
I think this has been my problem the whole time. I was under the impression that I needed to have the direction held down, and I would generally have the direction down a little bit before pressing the button to make sure direction was input before the button was pressed.

Making a deliberate effort to press them at the same time seems to upped the reliability a lot.

xKMMx

Banned
I swear, my wake-up rolls only come out about 25% of the time. And it’s most often the times when I need them to, and costs me at match. It’s infuriating.

I’ve tried all combinations... press both at the same time, hold direction and press L2, or hold L2 and press the direction... also even tried mashing... I just can’t get it right. The only thing I know is that it has to be done during your stand up animation. But I just can’t figure out the right way to do it consistently.

What am I doing wrong?

(And yes, I only attempt them when I have defensive meter, so it’s not that. It’s definitely my input and/or timing.)
Nothing the game is full of shit that should have been fixed first patch that probably won’t get fixed ever. This game is a mess still and they just keep distracting everyone with shiny new shit. I’ll play again till Friendships get old then it’s off another nice long break playing games that were made decades ago that still do everything MK 11 doesn’t. Like have a base set of mechanics that make sense and reward good play.