What's new

Tech - Sonya Blade Why are 50% of Sonya's strings interruptuble on block with armor attacks?

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It seems like 50% of her strings can be interrupted on block with an armor attack. Was this intentional? That only leaves her with a small amount of block strings. All of the strings that begin with her back punch and her overhead can be interrupted on block. What do you guys think about this? I posted a video showing this. Am I missing something here? Is this bad? lol

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Just an FYI, this means that there is most likely a frame gap in her strings, giving the opponent enough time to armor(especially if the armor comes out on the first frame).

This basically means you dont want to use these strings if you can avoid it. Have no clue about Sonya so can't really help you there.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
It's because she haa a dive kick that leads into a full combo without meter in all variations. She could end her strings early and bait a response with a jump back.

That and she has a parry a variation and a parry xray.
Jump back and baiting is one her staple game plans.

She DOESN'T suck. Jax, Johnny, and her strategies are just not brain dead and obvious on the surface. They're all great.

reptar

Noob
I'm assuming some strings serve different purposes, obviously not everything is supposed to be a pressure string. The overhead has good reach and goes into a low, I think it would be OP if you had a 50/50 that's also a blockstring. I think I saw you testing 312 in there as well? At close range, just use 121, outside of that, f4 is a good option. 312 feels like a punish string when you're just out of reach for 121, or to help in combos without having to dash.

Both her overhead and back punch are unsafe and punishable on block, I believe. So getting away wouldn't be possible. All of the strings that begin with a back punch can always be interrupted on the second hit, regardless of the particular follow up. It seems like that cuts everything down to her front punch and front kick strings that can't be interrupted. So yeah, any string that begins with back punch can always be punished with an ex move. Her front punch overhead is punishable on block, along with being able to interrupt the extension. I was just wondering if this is gonna be bad in the future lol. It almost seems like there's no use for her back punch strings outside of combos or punishment maybe, considering they can all just be interrupted and punished lol. I dunno, it just struck me because I tested the rest of the cast and found very few strings that were punishable like this.

It's because she haa a dive kick that leads into a full combo without meter in all variations. She could end her strings early and bait a response with a jump back.

That and she has a parry a variation and a parry xray.
Jump back and baiting is one her staple game plans.

She DOESN'T suck. Jax, Johnny, and her strategies are just not brain dead and obvious on the surface. They're all great.
I'm probably missing something, but if her back punch is -7 on block, with all the extensions being punishable with armor, how could you bait a response? Her overhead is -17 or -14, something like that. The extension to that is also armor punishable. I'm just worried xD

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
Most overheads in the game are like this, they are associated with a risk to match the reward you get from it.
Her b1 strings are not really meant to be used as a true block string, but to open up people with the overhead.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
What @Shiizu says is true. Most characters have strings that are punishable if you read and block the string. For example, Jax has a string you can enhance garrot parry in the middle of for a full combo punish.

So that being said... This doesn't mean Sonya sucks or anything, it's just a mechanic of the meta game itself that players for all characters will need to be ready for. It's all about risk/reward and staying fresh with your mixups.

Superi0rMagik

You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent
Because she has a great lows and overheads that lead to good damage! that wouldn't be fair if you couldn't do anything about it.

TPH GUNSHOT

Grind to Win
If you space B13 right, its not interrupt-able. but I guess at that range you wouldn't be holding down back right. Welp. that shouldn't stop you from using it anyway since this string is negative anyway lol

Ayane

Noob
the real question is why would they block the mixup then EX when they could of just EX'd the mixup in the first place

Ayane

Noob
Also if you want to get hella deep into the meta, you could OH>parry to flat out beat their armor move and get a 44% combo if u wanna spend meter of your own. of course if they didn't EX you are going to get punished but hey thats the risk reward factoring in.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
If you guys havent noticed yet most of the cast has gaps that can be armored. The meta of MKX does not support, nor does it encourage, continuous pressure. This is a game more about footsies, spacing, and mind games (@Tom Brady is jizzing all over the place) and heavily relies on strong defense.

Sonya has mooooore than enough dirt and is a great character. Instead of bitching about her weaknesses focus on her strengths.

If you guys havent noticed yet most of the cast has gaps that can be armored. The meta of MKX does not support, nor does it encourage, continuous pressure.

Unless you are one of the few characters that are neutral on nearly every string and practically made of armor that crushes any hope of a wakeup.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
Plus you can back dash the military stance on block so you won't have to suffer guessing the mix ups. Military stance is only good in the corner.

Interesting, thanks for the responses :D Although I'm still wondering what purposes her back punch strings serve? Her back punch is -7 on block and the strings are interruptable. Maybe they're just used in combos and setups? I noticed most of the enders put a lot of space between you and the opponent, which could be helpful in her other variations.

Ayane

Noob
The ender should always be MS~1. It does the same amount of dmg and leaves you close. I don't really think any variation of Sonya wants to be far away.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
Ya, a lot of strings in the game are interrupted by armor specials like Kung Lao string canceled into low hat. Low hat can be interrupted. I watched Forever King do it to PL