What's new

Question Who is a good alt char to play after maining GL?

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Just looking for a secondary character to play when I get burnt out on GL or someone to change the pace with. I really enjoy GL's lm bc it's range is huge and if hit, I can mb into a combo. It's kind of my crutch right now and I use it as my aa, wake up, and when somewhat zoning if I see a dash. I haven't had any luck picking a new char that feels as good. Any tips or suggestions?

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Batman or Black Adam, if you had any bad matchups those characters would help out immensely.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Black Adam is great because he has huge damage, fast dash and is great against zoners. His trait is amazing as it can add about 10% damage to your combos, + he's pretty badass and electrocutes people when he beats them. The only drawback is contrary to Green Lantern, his big combos require great execution specially online so he's sort of difficult to master, it certainly pays off though.

chores

bad at things
wonder woman has been fun for me. GL who is low mobility vs ww who has high jump arc / great dash / air dash / full screen air move / safe divekick. and her b2 controls a similar amount of space as LM. like if LM's range were the size of a basketball then b2's would be the size of a volleyball

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
So supes is king? I really wanted to try bat girl but any motions with bf are a half circle for me and I mess them up in combos a lot bc this game is really strict if you skip a corner for some reason :( not true sf at all :(

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
And I really hate how if I'm blocking, I have to let go and then hit back forward to get the move come out( or the full half circle) Why can't I just do it from block?!?!

And I really hate how if I'm blocking, I have to let go and then hit back forward to get the move come out( or the full half circle) Why can't I just do it from block?!?!
Yeah, this particularly bugs me in the air when I jump back and want to throw an OR quickly. I'd get it out a lot quicker if I didn't have to go to neutral first, then B F. Was thinking of switching to alt controls to see if the half circles had same restrictions...

It's odd, too, as the same restriction doesn't seem to apply to crouching. I know cuz I started as Supes main, and every time I tried to fwd 2 from crouch, I'd get his damnable air grab instead. Drove me crizzazy, it's really unnatural to go to neutral when trying to get that fwd 2 out as quickly as possible.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Yeah, crouching doesn't seem to have that problem when I play NW, I always do that stupid crappy anti-air smoke crap. It's so bad and I get punished like none other.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
why pick bladam if he has a bad MU with supes, why not pick supes when he has a bad MU with no one?
I find it pretty even, walk forward netural Jump, rinse till he does Air lasrers then DK him, up close BA can take him, trick is a well timed backdash to make him whiff then back 2.3

a well executed Lighting Cage Fucking up Supes or WWs air dash cross up, must be done in advance so kind of a guess

so tell me how is Superman better than BA what is it BA can deal with?

I find it pretty even, walk forward netural Jump, rinse till he does Air lasrers then DK him, up close BA can take him, trick is a well timed backdash to make him whiff then back 2.3

a well executed Lighting Cage Fucking up Supes or WWs air dash cross up, must be done in advance so kind of a guess

so tell me how is Superman better than BA what is it BA can deal with?
The problem with neutral jumping is that a patient person can just wait out the divekick without whiffing and the only thing he should whiff on is doing a jump1,2,3 on the anticipated dive kick which isn't punishable, and if you try to backdash on dive kick he's the only character that I can think of that can pressure you with a dash using f,2,3 breath. The lightning cage trick can work if he's trying to cross you up but if Supes has a lifelead then all he has to do is zone you and force you to come in with the divekick, which lets be honest, is what he wants.

Edit: I never meant to imply that Superman blows BA out of the water, but the MU is definately at least in supes favor 6-4

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
The problem with neutral jumping is that a patient person can just wait out the divekick without whiffing and the only thing he should whiff on is doing a jump1,2,3 on the anticipated dive kick which isn't punishable, and if you try to backdash on dive kick he's the only character that I can think of that can pressure you with a dash using f,2,3 breath. The lightning cage trick can work if he's trying to cross you up but if Supes has a lifelead then all he has to do is zone you and force you to come in with the divekick, which lets be honest, is what he wants.
But the point im getting at is you dont need to divekick just the mind games will stop Superman from trying Air Lasrers same goes to GL air Rocketr, look at it is a clock once you keep yaself between 8 and 2 Oclock his Lasers wont reach you and you beat them out.

Heres the Consequences
Supermans Air Lasers hits you, you take abit of damage, most of the time its MB one, knock you full screen
BA- Connects a Dive kick can combo him for 29% without MB and stay on him, MB you wack up to near 50%

So if your worrying about the Risk of a Trade just keep in mind its in your favour

Blockwise Supes is almost the Opposite to BA, Insteal off always blocking High, Block Low for most of the time all of supes overheads are def seeable even online, so Blocking low is the best bet straight after he crosses up

and use Backdash

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Try playing a zoner like Sinestro, GL is struggling against them so it would be good for you to get familiar with one
I'd really like to play bat girl, but her inputs are so wonky. I'm still a beginner so inputs that require several motions aren't my forte. Like her b2u2 I end up jumping after the b2, so if we can limit it down to rush down chars that aren't too difficult to pick up, I'd be all for it.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I rêally liked deathstroke pre nerf, but now he seems so slow on his guns and the input for low shos is kinda awkward. Sigh, we need more easy chars for noobs like me to pick up.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Try Aquaman his combos are pretty easy with good damage, good mixup game, anti air super, can combo out of almost any hits and he's trait allows him to break off ground combos. His range game isn't too bad as reversal attacks vs zoners, his dash is good, his attacks have huge range and he's a power character like GL.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WyvernxProductions My channel with Green Lantern gameplay.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
TBH green lantern beats out most zoning with jumping forward OR(oua's rocket) to landing OR(with the option to BF3 when they start to read the jumping OR so you should only need a second when you cant handle rushdown or passive players. A character surprisingly similar to GL inside sweep range is grundy. If you main GL you should have LM downpact and grundys AA is the same motion only you know all those times as green lantern when someone wake up jumpins you and you LM doesnt grab them before they slam their package into your face? Well that doesnt happen with grundys AA, its actually so perfect that sometimes when your WC gets neutral jumped if you mash it out while still in WC you will still grab them. The way you play them is exactly the same(besides you have to option to zone with GL). Grundy and GL both have the perfect reactionary options for any situation(minus SOME full screen zoning for grundy), both NEED their trait to break the 40% wall(grundy pretty much wants to hit b 4 times and end the match), ect ect ect. Mainly here grundy is perfect against someone who is using a rushdown and vortex based character(scorpion + batgirl because of their ridiculous teleports), which is GL hardest matchup. He is great here because his armored trait will eat up most normals and turn the rushdown into a free 30%+stat boost.

GL as the tried and true vs most everything(especially supes, its funny how great GL is vs superman), then grundy for when someone is hardcore rushing you down or you just wana pushin anyone foolish enough to teleport on you for 30%

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Gave deathstroke a solid try, but his combos just feel so wonky, his strings are kinda the same, but all start differently which makes the endings all weird bc of how floating or fast they fall. His melee range is terrible minus his sword, but other than that he is pretty awful.